Subscriptions & Donations ×

Honda Accord V6 Thermostat? "WHICH ONE"

• Site Subscriber’s

Hi guys, I'm new to this forum, after buying a 3.0V6 the other day. I've noticed the temperature gauge never quite gets up to half way, which makes me think, which one is best for UK use? Motor factors eg Autodoc and ECP seem to list 4; an 82C, a 78,77 and a 76degree C.

• Like 3

• Moderators

Hi and welcome to the best V6 forum around !

Don't forget we need pictures of your new steed !

Regarding the temperature gauge , most Honda tend to run just below halfway or on the half mark in some cases.

As long as the engine / radiator get hot with good internal temperature I wouldn't get too excited about changing the stat. The temperature gauge needle should be upto a steady mark within just a few miles....if it takes , say  8 - 10 miles, the stat is not well and I would change it preferably for a genuine Honda stat if possible.

• Like 3

• Administrators
2 hours ago, Chrismas said:

Hi guys, I'm new to this forum, after buying a 3.0V6 the other day.

Hi and welcome to the club I hope you're enjoying the motor and if its a car you wish to keep for a while I would suggest replacing the coolant in its entirety plus a thermostat and I would go for the OEM spec' 78c. Plus if you're feeling flush maybe a timing belt & water pump too, especially if you don't know the history of the car and I cannot stress enough maintain the transmission and try to avoid the current Honda fluids too.

2 hours ago, Chrismas said:

I've noticed the temperature gauge never quite gets up to half way, which makes me think, which one is best for UK use? Motor factors eg Autodoc and ECP seem to list 4; an 82C, a 78,77 and a 76degree C. 

Also, the temperature gauge doesn't get to the halfway point like some older models and its a question that been raise a few times now so I wouldn't be concerned there's something wrong.

52 minutes ago, Lennie Legend said:

I’m no expert but I think the brand is Blue Print

I fitted a few thermostats now and ADL blueprint is a superior part on newer OEM stuff, thanks for the input Geoff 👍 Personally I like the Gates TH27078G1 thermostat, I have fitted a few on the V6's now and on my own as a precautionary measure.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderators

Just found this thread so a belated welcome aboard!

On mine, the standard UK fit is 78C but the autobox ECU expects to see a temperature of at least 74C before it allows torque converter lock-up which improves your economy and driving experience once up to a reasonable speed - it also helps a lot with engine braking when slowing down.

I currently have an 82C 'stat in mine (still hunting for the "Dealer Option" of 88C) which gives more margin for error if the 'stat gets weak in terms of the torque converter lock-up and better heating in winter, economy and performance.

Mine however is the C27 engine but i'm sure the J30 would also respond well and Stus recommendation of Bue Print is spot on - they are excellent parts. Entirely up to you whether you go for 78C, 82C or whatever, just bear in mind the 74C minimum for torque converter lock-up as it eats fuel when that doesn't happen!

As for the gauge, the centre point is 90C so the gauge will sit lower than that when up to temperature - nothing to worry about, it's a quirk of Honda.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• The title was changed to Honda Accord New Thermostat? "WHICH ONE"
  • 3 years later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • The title was changed to Honda Accord V6 Thermostat? "WHICH ONE"
  • Administrators
3 minutes ago, Laird_Scooby said:

Scary! Fine on a freezing cold short run but a hot summers day? :o

Yup, this will explain why the old hose had a small leak obviously age played its part in that, as the odyssey was the same even with a new stat fitted. What alerted me was the distinct smell of coolant with no visible leaks this time and the corresponding hose was impossible to squeeze.😮

• Like 3

• Founding Member
7 hours ago, Laird_Scooby said:

Scary! Fine on a freezing cold short run but a hot summers day? :o

Exactly that happened to me in my Mitsubishi on a hot summers day pounding down the German Autobahn.  Cost me a new cylinder head and a recovery home to the UK.  So well spotted Stu...

• Like 3