Subscriptions & Donations ×

98-02 Accord Coupe 3.0 V6 Headlight Washers Not Working?

hughezee

• Moderators
3 hours ago, Randell said:

I believe that the same pump is used for the windscreen washers,

If it was, there would be no need for the relay! ;)

The relay is there to switch the high current, high pressure headlamp power wash pump which hopefully gives you another clue - it could be a blown fuse for the headlamp power wash, usually about 30-40A so check that first. It could be a previous owner ran it dry and it pulled too much cuirrent, blew the fuse and they just didn't know. Make sure the washer bottle has plenty of fluid in and then check/renew the fuse for the headlamp wash. Try it. You may hear the pump whirr briefly then stop and the fuse is blown. Try another new fuse - got to a maximum of 3 new fuses, you may be able to free it up if it has siezed or is sticky from lack of use. if not, you'll have to strip the bumper off, remove the pump and try to free it off or renew the pump as Pete suggested.

• Like 3

Not yet, I haven't had time to take the bumper or inner wheel arch out. But I can't hear it running.
Although I may have ordered the wrong pump, as my car is a 1999 and as far as I can see there is no mount for the second pump.
This is the tank fitted to mine.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1998-2002-HONDA-ACCORD-3-0L-V6-WINDSHIELD-WASHER-TANK-FEO-C650/142939471199?hash=item2147db3d5f:g:LBwAAOSwBadTqg4L:rk:11:pf:0

• Confused 4

• Moderators

There is only one picture showing one side on that bottle, quite often the pumps are on different sides..i think the one you can see is the windscreen washer pump position, the headlight pump is on the end, to the left in that pic and hidden from view.. I can't recall the orientation of the V6 bottle but perhaps hughezee can throw some light on it?

• Like 3

• Administrators

All the pictures are on the post I linked, anyway, the one circled in red is the windscreen washer pump labelled Denso (fairly standard fitment) and the much larger one at the front circled in green is the headlight washer pump, hope that helps 😉

washer.jpg

• Like 5

Thank you, I'll sort this out on the weekend and let you all know how I got on.
I've also ordered some 5 Litres of Valvoline ATF from Opie, so I'll start flushing out whatever oil is in the transmission this weekend as well. 
Thanks again everyone, you've been so helpful.

• Like 4

• Administrators
15 minutes ago, Randell said:

so I'll start flushing out whatever oil is in the transmission this weekend as well.

I am taking flushing literally as your saying it which I wouldn't recommend, but all you need is to drain and refill and repeat in a few months and replace the crush washer next time p/n: 90471PX4000 https://www.coxmotorparts.co.uk/honda-shop/genuine-honda-18mm-washer/  👍

• Like 3

• Moderators
6 hours ago, hughezee said:

All the pictures are on the post I linked, anyway, the one circled in red is the windscreen washer pump labelled Denso (fairly standard fitment) and the much larger one at the front circled in green is the headlight washer pump, hope that helps 😉

washer.jpg

Thanks, !! Couldnt recall which way round it was and difficult to see pumps in pic but now you have circled them, happy days !!!

• Like 3

Well it rained, and the wind blowed a gale again, but I persevered and got the job done.
Headlight washers are now working like new, and all thanks to you guys and your help.
The pump casing had totally corroded and not worth trying to salvage, but the new pump I bought from the link you shared fitted, even though the body was a slightly different shape.

Bumper-Off-X3.jpgOld-Pump-X3.jpgPump-Comparison-X3.jpg

• Like 4

• Administrators
7 hours ago, PTR200S said:

Did you discover if you need to have the headlights on to operate it too?  

Only the 1998-2002 UK Accord version has that feature Pete as there's no separate button either on those, just switch on the lights flick the screen washer and they work automatically. 

• Like 2

• Administrators

Only the 1998-2002 UK Accord version has that feature where the headlights need to be on for the headlight washers to work and the coupe headlight feature was an addon so it has a button to activate them, regardless to the lights being on or off.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• The topic was pinned
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Site Subscriber’s

Useful post, just replaced the pump on mine, as it was seized. Genuine Honda one was £125 I think, and got the cheapy on Amazon, £15. Ebay only had them sourced in China, but this one was UK and arrived in 2 days. Then I forgot how the pipes went back.....and I drove over one as well, smashing one of the pipe connections. Managed to bodge it with some stiff rubber fuel pipe and used the photos here for guidance. I always forget to take pictures. Lots of plastic clips broke, too! For a 22 yr old car, there's no rust underneath either.

• Like 5

• Site Subscriber’s
On 4/26/2020 at 7:38 PM, Laird_Scooby said:

Sounds good - any links to the pump on Amazon please?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07RZ42GNZ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Fitted a perfectly, despite not being the same model, so let's see how long it lasts!!  I don't really think they are that effective in today's climate or in my use, as I would always wash the car regularly, but, hey, if the car has something that's not working, I like to get it working properly.

Windshield Washer Pump Washer Pump Car Auto Windshield Windscreen Washer Pump for ACCORD CIVIC_ Amazon.co.uk_ Car & Motorbike.pdf

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1