Subscriptions & Donations ×

98-02 Accord Coupe 3.0 V6 Headlight Washers Not Working?

hughezee

• Administrators

I had a spare motor which was also stuck :rolleyes: so I dissembled the motor  thoroughly cleaned and lubricated it despite it being mostly rubber seals and plastic. Anyway once reassembled then tested it and finally fired into life and I will likely do a strip down topic of the existing motor no sense in not trying to sort 100 quids worth of motor :)  Also for reference its the largest one of the two attached to the screen wash bottle.

Just a few illustrations for you to digest  :lol:
DSC03218_zps13d56396.jpg
DSC03219_zpsa2ac30e8.jpg
DSC03220_zps97766296.jpg
DSC03221_zps2f5acc92.jpg

Remove the seal from the end of the motor/pump assembly and place in the screen wash bottle first, you will struggle to get it back in otherwise

DSC03223_zpsf99a9524.jpg
DSC03224_zps759994d7.jpg

Now a quick test, don't forget to top up the screen-wash :lol: and as you can just about see in the pic's below, they are working very well now

DSC03226_zpsb75f7ef3.jpg
DSC03227_zps93cf715c.jpg

Any questions just ask ;)

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • Founding Member

Finally replaced my faulty one yesterday, what a difference . Didn't take me long and whilst the bumper was off gave the body parts a clean and wax-oil too. :D

Excellent stuff Sean, one job at a time, it's all coming together with your coupe then?  What's the next job?  ;)

• Like 1

Cheers Geoff :D. :D

Apart from sorting the transmission, it will be a start on the bodywork. Wax-iol, polishing, renovating it back to showroom condition. 

Yesterday I took out the front drivers headlight and gently pushed out the small dent that was on the wing (about the size of a small conker) near the headlight, just got to fill it in with filler and re-spray. I also sorted out the leaking drivers brake caliper too, all I needed was a couple of washers from the Honda dealer, £3.12 each. :D

It's moving along now with leaps and bounds. :)

• Like 1

• 3 years later...
On 4/3/2015 at 7:03 PM, V6vtec said:

Finally replaced my faulty one yesterday, what a difference . Didn't take me long and whilst the bumper was off gave the body parts a clean and wax-oil too. :D

Hi V6vtec I'm doing loads of jobs with my front bumper off and thought I might tackle the headlight washer pump which has never worked. Can you remember where you got your replacement please ?

Thanks Jon

• Like 1

• Moderators

Haven't seen Sean (V6VTEC) for quite a while on here Jon (this is a fairly old thread) but i'm fairly sure he got the pump from a breakers yard near me. They quite often have a variety of Hondas in but sadly have "changed management" recently and are even less customer-friendly. For that reason i no longer use the place unless i'm seriously desperate as in "life and death" desperate.

Best bet would be to have a word with Stu (Hughezee) on here as he's broken a few cars  that were beyond other repair for the greater good (<altogether now> the greater good!) so he may have one floating around.

Alternatively, try ebay, some breakers advertise when they're breaking a particular car and/or parts from it.

If you take a large brave pill, you could strip the pimp down and check/lube the bearings, check the brushes to make sure they're not worn out, check the fuse for the headlamp power wash pump, relay and so on. Also check the electrical connectors for corrosion, if present clean it off with a soft wire brush or emery cloth, smear some silicone grease (or better still, battery dielectric grease but the two are similar) on the connectors and reassemble.

If you find limescale is blocking the pump impeller, use white vinegar to dissolve the limescale - i regularly (once a year usually) add half a pint to each of my washer bottles to keep the limescale down - i see you're in Sussex so your water will be off the South Downs and very chalky as a result.

Good luck with it, whichever way you attack it! ;):D

• Like 2

Hi Dave

Thanks for picking up on this, I really appreciate it. I know it's an very old thread. My headlight washer pump hadn't worked for years and looked worse than terrible ! I had the front off the car for other reasons and I can't resist a challenge !

I spent some time looking on line for a new Koto 868 without any direct luck although from the images I thought an S2000 one might be worth a punt ?

Before investing I took another look, I hate things that are crimped together but stripped it all the same. It was frozen solid the armature being rusted to the magnets ! On the brush plate there was something I am not familiar with. Encrusted with corrosion some kind of circuit breaker or points that were also frozen solid. It was hopeless to resurrect it so I removed it and soldered the brass components together.The rest of the rebuild was straightforward and it roared into life at least for now ! The short burst operation remains so I am mystified as to the original purpose of the circuit breaker ?

• Like 1

• Moderators
5 hours ago, Jon said:

from the images I thought an S2000 one might be worth a punt ?

After what seems like days (but was only really minutes) dredging through Lings online catalogues, they list the same part number for the Accord Coupé headlamp washer pump as the S2000 headlamp washer pump.

However, Lings have their own strange part number system but PFKL831164 applies to both pumps, as does the price tag of £130. :o

If you could find the generic Koito part number (868 seems a bit short!) then we could maybe find an alternative car that uses the same pump - something really common like a Nissan Microbe (Micra) for example that are prolific in scrapyards and as such, the secondhand parts would be fairly cheap.

Making an educated guess at the function of the "circuit breaker" you describe, i would suspect it's a thermal fuse designed to prevent the motor windings burning out if the pump seizes. The short-burst operation is controlled by a relay to give a second or two of power washing to the headlamps when the screenwash is operated or if the headlamp washer button is pressed, depending on which system you have. My last Accord Coupé didn't have headlamp washers as far as i remember, the car before that that had headlamp pressure wash was my first 827 Sterling, broadly equivalent to a 1988/9 KA4 Legend but if memory serves, the Legend had wash/wipe (low pressure) and the Rover had high pressure wash.

• Like 1

Hi Dave, thank you.

There's no more identification on the Koito pump, I took some pics but can't upload them. It's looks the same as the one in V6vtec's pictures. The thermal fuse suggestion makes sense and I will bear in mind that it's no longer operable. It certainly delivers now even the windscreen gets a good soaking ! Lol

I can move on to other projects having bought a bit of time. Cheers Jon

• Like 2

• Moderators

Sorry to interject guys, the Honda number for this pump, S2000, is 76806 SM5 G03... confirmed for the Coupe too.

If you have a look at this ebay link this maybe the one you want... £15.99 or make them an offer !?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Headlight-Washer-Pump-For-Honda-S2000-99-09-Accord-03-08-Civic-05-11-CR-V/253096743422?

or a Chinese version which looks to be same but may take a bit longer to arrive ! at £8.19 !

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Headlight-Washer-Pump-For-Honda-S2000-99-09-Accord-03-08-Civic-06-11-CR-V-07-11/152959705566?

• Like 1

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Jon said:

Hi PTR do you know if anyone has actually fitted one?

Not offhand, can ask around.. most replacement pumps have been for windscreen version.

The one offered on the UK supply at 15 quid has a two year warranty ..... Offer him 12 quid and see what happens.. can't see why it shouldn't give 2 years service anyway but for that money and two year warranty it's a no brainer....if you dont have a running version....

• Like 2

• 5 months later...

When I bought the car last week, the only thing I could find that wasn't working are the headlamp washers.
It sounds like I may have a defective relay, as when I press the wash button on the dash, I can hear a clicking behind the lower drivers console.
I do have a Haynes manual for the car, but can't see any reference to the 'Headlamp Washer Relay' in the wiring diagrams.
Can anyone help point me in the right direction with this fault, am I heading in the right direction in fixing this fault?

• Like 3

• Moderators

If you can hear the relay engaging I would guess its more likely to be the pump motor that has seized up.

I would be checking for voltage at the pump terminals first before you tear into the under dash electrics ....

Just a thought, are the nozzles clear ? although you should still be able to hear the pump if it is working...

• Like 2

I believe that the same pump is used for the windscreen washers, which are working fine, so unless I'm wrong and there's a separate pump for the headlamp wash units then I'd rule out the wash bottle pump.
Although the pump doesn't run when the switch is activated, and I've cleaned the nozzles with a pin and they seem clear.

I do know that the headlamp washers will only operate if the headlights are switched on (which makes sense). The bulb on the headlamp switch lights up which suggests that there's power at the switch, but without a wiring diagram I'd guess there's not a lot more to the system besides a switch, relay and pump. Just guessing though.

• Like 1

• Moderators

Not sure if you need the headlights on to operate the washers...although the Accord saloon / Tourers did have that interaction the  Coupe does not...I have a 2001 version (probably built 2000) and that only requires the ignition on and press the go button.!!!

Maybe the 1999 version had the headlights version of the washer but I am sure one of the others will be along soon to confirm.

Also, you should have a separate pump for the headlight washers...wonder if someone has installed a one pump tank?  I would bet on a seized pump right now though...but without the car in front of us we can only point you to possibilities....

I think I would pull the front bumper off and get at the base of the washer bottle for a look see.

• Like 2