Subscriptions & Donations ×

Road Noise & Suppression Tips 1998 1999 2000 2001 CG Accord Coupe

hughezee

• Moderators

Today I have been finishing the insulation install in the boot of the Coupe.

Also decided to add insulation to the backs of the rear seats too, taking the material cover off (just held on with upholstery studs) and sticking the insulation to the metal backs.

The upholstery should keep boot noise out but every little helps :lol:

Also refitted the plastic cover properly to the parcel shelf just behind rear seats, four internal upholstery studs none of which were there but a root around my spares turned up exactly four of the right type !

I needed to get the rear seat squab out but after removing one bolt from behind the squab it still doesnt move, must be missing something.... So leather cleaned and conditioned the central arm rest instead:rolleyes:.......return to the seat another day ...

Honda_Coupe_5_insul.jpg

Honda_Coupe_2_insul.jpg

Honda_Coupe_6_insul.jpg

Honda_Coupe_3_insul.jpg

Honda_Coupe_11_insul.jpg

Honda_Coupe_4_insul.jpg

• Like 2

• Moderators

Additional pics from couple days ago that I forgot to post :P

After a bit of a vacuum out of the odd bits and pieces that had accumulated under the boot carpet I manged to get some insulation in... it's not half an odd shape with all sorts of bumps and crevices !:rolleyes: few gaps to fill in with bits as I progress.

Honda_Coupe_7_insul.jpg

Honda_Coupe_8_insul.jpg

Honda_Coupe_9_insul.jpg

Honda_Coupe_10_insul.jpg

Honda_Coupe_12_insul.jpg

and then a bit of a bath, amazing how the disks rust themselves instantly !:(

Honda_Coupe_2_240118.jpg

• Like 3

• Moderators
5 hours ago, Laird_Scooby said:

Very impressive Pete! Have you driven it yet to hear (or not!) the fruits of your efforts?

Would i be right in assuming you're having the front seats and carpet out now to do the main floorpan?

No, not driven it yet ! Saving up for fuel after buying the insulation ! :P

I have still to get rear seat out and carpets in back....had an XK8 crisis with O2 sensors :wacko:

Hopefully, will get to it tomorrow now as it should be warmer, dryer and I have a half day spare, without work. :lol:

• Like 3

• Founding Member
14 hours ago, PTR200S said:

No, not driven it yet ! Saving up for fuel after buying the insulation ! :P

I have still to get rear seat out and carpets in back....had an XK8 crisis with O2 sensors :wacko:

Hopefully, will get to it tomorrow now as it should be warmer, dryer and I have a half day spare, without work. :lol:

What Dave said mate....impressive.....look forward to your review. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• Moderators
8 minutes ago, Laird_Scooby said:

Who told you it is warmer? They're telling you porkies!

Either that or the wind chill is absolutely killing the warmth! :o

The "weather men" ( not PC ?) said it was warmer up my way but I can tell you, up mine, my nuts were frozen :lol: and not just on the car...

• Haha 2

• Moderators
57 minutes ago, The_Legend_Geoff said:

You’re lucky, I’ve not seen my testicles all week!  

:lol:

Hmmm, you obviously don't" hang out " with the BIG boys :P

Still, if you bought my S2k things would improve as you need some big ones to press the loud pedal to the boards :lol:

• Haha 4

• Moderators

Pressed on with the rear seat squab insulation this afternoon, when  I got it off I found the deck already has extensive factory sound deadening pads on it.

So I decided to put the insulation in anyway but rather than stick it down on top of the panel I opted to stick it to a non sticky base... :rolleyes: so that I can get it out if need be..

I found a yoga mat ( not mine ! Mates wife teaches it and we get the old mats for crawling under cars on :lol:)

Cut said mat and then stuck insulation to top of that, bunged it in and put seat base back... Can I get the retaining bolt in ? Can I fek.:angry:....

filed bolt under "cba" in centre console for time being..seat has to come off again to get in side panels and check under carpets.

Seat off, looks good under here..

Honda_Coupe_rear_seat_1.jpg

This is the front of the seat base and the socket that the seat pin locates into.

As has been pointed out it needs a good thump up under the base to release it :lol:

Honda_Coupe_rear_seat_2.jpg

another view showing the seat pin and socket together..

Honda_Coupe_rear_seat_4.jpg

Looks nice under here, grommets intact, even the release cables and wiring still taped down  and has already got a pad on it.

Honda_Coupe_rear_seat_3.jpg

The yoga mat in blue !! with the insulation stuck to it, its a beggar to do but saves getting tangled up and stuck in the wrong place if put directly onto the base by doing it indoors instead of in the car :P

Bit of trimming to do in situ and add a flap to the back area into the boot.

Honda_Coupe_rear_seat_5.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• Moderators
1 hour ago, AhsyV6 said:

The question is.....have you given it a test run as yet? 

Well, as it happens...YES !!

Just got back now, only done around 5 miles but there is definitely a difference, I can now hear the front wheels thrashing around :(

The change in the back seems to be pretty good, the noise that I kept hearing at the backend is subdued/gone//// I need to test it over a longer period/ miles... but pretty pleased with the initial results...

I haven't done under the rear carpets because they seem to be pretty well padded !

Would like to have a go on the side panels though and around the front wheel arches when I get a chance ..

So definitely worth doing even with the just the boot and suspension turrets / back seat done. :D

• Like 3

• 11 months later...
  • Administrators

Supplementary sound deading under the carpet, replacing the cracked 18-year wheel arch spray on liner, new shocks  & springs and some decent db rated tyres made a hell of a difference to my coupes cabin experience, so I have no complaints anymore and its a lot quieter than a friends 2011 Lexus.

• Like 2

• Moderators

Yep, Tyres up first for inspection, old? cracked? obscure make?

I am running out the remaining rear tyres on mine as they were not old/ not worn when I got the car but they make a hell of a racket so sound insulation on top of existing under boot area and wheel arches made a difference to mine... 

• Like 2

• Founding Member

I changed my tyres to Dunlop 225/45R17 91Y SP Sport Maxx RT and have covered 22k miles on them. The reduction in noise was pretty amazing and very noticeable. Would defo look at the deafening in the boot and arches. When you take out the interior rear quarter panels on either side of the rear seats you will see the big void behind it with no deadening/insulation. 

• Like 3

• Moderators
2 hours ago, Lumpy said:

Pirelli top spec tyres. 

Do you know the db of them as a matter of interest ? Just wondering if worth trying them on on the rear of my Coupe when the time comes...

Know what you mean re the concrete effect, the A50 is horrendous too !!!

• Like 2

• Moderators
17 minutes ago, AhsyV6 said:

I changed my tyres to Dunlop 225/45R17 91Y SP Sport Maxx RT and have covered 22k miles on them. The reduction in noise was pretty amazing and very noticeable

Db rating on these? Do you know ?

What's the rain rating for the maxx ?

• Like 2

• Founding Member
1 hour ago, Lumpy said:

Been looking at 17 inch type R wheels to fit. On 16s now. The 7 was on 255 rears and 235 fronts but plenty of sound deadening in that. Smooth roads are nice and quietish though. I'm quite liking it the more I drive it

The Coupe is No comparison to the 7 series in many ways and certainly Not noise.....the 7series has insulation everywhere and also sound deadening matting on all panels 

• Like 2