Subscriptions & Donations ×

Which Engine Oil 1998 1999 2000 2001 Accord 3.0 V6

hughezee

• Administrators

As a follow up to past discussions regarding engine oil and the problems with Honda 0W20 p/n: 08232P99K4LHE when used in older engines, which results in oil leaks, high oil consumption and excessive valve train wear and engine noise.

So I have illustrated a few of the most common oils used by myself or recommended by other members, so if you are looking for just a standard oil I would recommend Mobil Super 2000 10W40 or Castrol GTX 10W40 (not Magnatec or Edge). Owners looking for improved fuel economy and performance I would strongly recommend Smith and Allans Ultra 10w-30 Engine Motor Oil.👍  (no other brand of 10W30)

castrol.jpg

mobil.jpg

Ultra 10W-30 5LT.jpg

PLEASE NOTE: the information within this topic has been kindly contributed by one of our experienced members and has been extensively researched and found to be correct by independent testing or external resources.

Regards SITE DEVELOPMENT.

• Like 3

• Administrators
On 6/24/2015 at 9:49 PM, GeoffPurpleHaze said:

Can I have Smith and Allen in Haze when he's oil change is due Stu?

Sure thing buddy I would insist as the Haze currently has Millers 10w40 and you can feel the difference for yourself ;)

• Like 1

• The topic was featured
  • 4 weeks later...
  • Founding Member

I can unreservedly say that this 10W30 oil is by far the best for the 3-litre V6 engine and have verified it with nearly 40,000 miles. I do however get Stu to replace it after 3,000 miles as in my opinion it has passed its peak by about 4,000 miles. Consistent changes ensure consistent fuel economy. The oil filter is replaced on every other oil change. Leaving it any longer than this results in accelerated wear in my opinion.

• Like 2

• Founding Member

I do about 1000 miles a month on average. That's every 3 months for me. It may be a bit low, but I think the oil has had it at about 4000. Also, as I wish to keep the car as long as I can, I would rather go on the side of caution and keep the engine happy :)

• Like 2

• Founding Member

Agreed Richard, as you know I like to change my oil regularly too.  I currently only do say 150 miles a week (600 PM) but I do like to change my oil every say 3 or 4 months.  I may know nothing about engines etc. but I do know that regular oil changes keeps my coupe running like a Swiss watch.   'Preventative Maintenance' is the key.  ;)

• Like 3

• The topic was pinned
  • 1 year later...

Hoping to change the oil this weekend,  had a good look around the site. But as some of the threads are a couple of years old I'm getting stuck on oil choice and if things are still available. One thread says 10W30 mineral others 10W40 semi. Got a filter ordered and enquired about 10W30 but was told no one really does that anymore and 10W40 is recommended, this was by a comma supplier, his first check didn't recognise the car hah! So my confidence is low

• Like 1

• Administrators

Like Dave says 10W40 semi will be fine, but if you read the thread from the start I'm only suggesting one brand of 10W30 the rest don't really cut it, very much the same as the majority of 10W40's in my experience with the exception of Castrol GTX. & Mobil Super 2000. As for 10W30 in motorbike engines, well they work a hell of a lot harder than car engines so why would you avoid that grade, think about it for a moment???

• Like 2

• Moderators

20 hours ago, Andy Mc said:

Hoping to change the oil this weekend,  had a good look around the site. But as some of the threads are a couple of years old I'm getting stuck on oil choice and if things are still available. One thread says 10/30 mineral others 10/40 semi. Got a filter ordered and enquired about 10/30 but was told no one really does that anymore and 10/40 is recommended, this was by a comma supplier, his first check didn't recognise the car

Like Andy I need to change the oil,

My coupe was "serviced" last July (2016) by Bassetts Honda in Swansea before I picked it up early this year. I changed the filter for an S2000 version early on because it had the "narrow" standard filter on but decided on leaving the oil as it was a nice colour and less than a thousand miles under its belt.

Obviously, now I need to change it, 12 months down the line and now with just over 3k miles done.....

I have 10-40 semi synth, both Castrol and Comma but have seen the Smith and Allan oil 10-30 Ultra MINERAL direct supply (20 litres) for £50 delivered... this seems like a good deal so do I buy this or stick to Castrol 10-40 semi?

Do I change the filter again or is it usually done every second change?  Comments on here and on the web seem to vary a lot !!:rolleyes:

• Like 1

• Moderators

I'd be inclined to stick to 10W40 Pete and if you want to buy in bulk to save S&A do a 10W40 semi-synth in bulk :

https://www.smithandallan.com/products/transport-engine/1899-smith-and-allan-unelite-l-10w-40-engine-oil-semi-synthetic-api-sl-/

Change the filter at every oil change, it's meant to be changed each time. You can stick with the Castrol or Comma if you want but i'd be dubious about using mineral oil in an engine designed for semi-synth. ;):D

• Administrators
4 hours ago, PTR200S said:

Comments on here and on the web seem to vary a lot !!:rolleyes:

I haven't varied my stance on  S&A 10w30 although I might be accommodating to other members choices on 10w40 and suggested Castrol GTX of which is probably the best alternative, although it makes the car smell old and oily, oil leak or not.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Moderators

Well, I have bought the s&a 10-30 mineral if only to try it! I have the other versions 10.40 etc synth and semi synth and including 20.50 mineral, sae30 mineral so this is just another alternative to try :lol:

Stu, I am with you on mineral designed engines as it has been shown to great effect on older motorcycles that would often burn their way through semi or fully synthetic giving the owners worry about worn bores valves etc.  

Only to find that changing back to mineral solved the problem...something to do with greater tolerances on older engines and the newer oil being finer "molecules"   dont pretend to understand if this is correct but the proof was right there in front of us....well, the lack of oil burning anyway:rolleyes:

Having said that the S2000 boys use Castrol Edge in the main , a lot opting for 10.30 diesel !  I use 10.40 in mine but these engines rev to 9000 red line, "handbuilt" to finer tolerances but once again designed in the nineties...

Go figure :D

• Like 1

• Moderators

Funny you should mention it Pete - i think where mine is (seriously) overdue an oil/filter change, i think the oil got thin and that was why it was getting smoky. I topped up with some 5W40 fully synth (as mentioned above but i got the wrong grade slightly) before taking the Coupé out for a shopping and refuel run and did everything i could to provoke it into chucking some smoke out of the tailpipes. Not a wisp! Or at least none that i saw or smelled!

Given it was scarily low (just about on the dipstick! :o ) when i added a couple of litres of the 5W40, it's a sort of half-baked oil change and proved the point really. I'll be doing a proper oil and filter change in the near future and keeping an eye on it for several reasons. ;):D

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
  • Moderators
  • The topic was pinned
  • The topic was featured
  • Administrators
12 minutes ago, DeanoCoupe said:

I have some Mobil 1 super 2000 ready to go in 😁

Good choice, remember filtration is just as important a genuine filter 15400PCX004 would be my first choice or a Blue Print oil filter ADS7210, which is also designed for Korean diesel engines where filtration is a higher priority 👍

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, hughezee said:

Good choice, remember filtration is just as important a genuine filter 15400PCX004 would be my first choice or a Blue Print oil filter ADS7210, which is also designed for Korean diesel engines where filtration is a higher priority 👍

Cheers Stu, my local motor factors had a Mann filter don't know how they rate... Was looking at a K&N one too

• Like 3