Subscriptions & Donations ×

Legend KB1 Sat Nav

Mazda Man

• Founding Member

My Legend is 2008 and unfortunately so are the maps on the Sat Nav!  Sometimes it looks like im driving through a field or through a roundabout that has long since gone.  I noticed this a few weeks ago driving back from Stu’s.

The Sat Nav is CD ROM based in that the maps are on a disc located in the boot.  Here’s my old disc labelled 2006;

CCD8_FF96-7_DC4-4_ACC-_A224-6256198_E33_

Now there are lots of websites selling updated maps, however, be aware that these are COPIES.  Stu explained that with the copies the laser in the drive is continually going over the same spot thereby prematurely killing the CD drive as it’s reading the same spot over and over. End result is a new drive.  

A genuine Honda disc is the only way.  So I started to look around, bearing in mind Honda wants stupid money.  Fortunately I came across this and after doing a bit of research it is fine for Lennie’s Sat Nav;

622_E7452-_ABD7-4_ADA-9_B90-_CE5_BD28_A0

It arrived today.  I ejected the old disc, inserted this disc and voila!  Drove to the Shell garage for some V Power and all is fine, I now have 2012 maps!

Moral of the story is to shop around and research stuff before buying.  Happy Days. 

• Like 2

• Founding Member

The same sat nav as mine but I’m still running 2010 disk.

As said fake ones will burn the dvd out a lot quicker than a genuine disk.

I was going to upgrade to the latest maps but at £160 I bought a map instead.?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 1 year later...

I have been looking for an update for the sat nav in my cr-v and came across this on ebay https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2018-HONDA-MAP-DVD-3-C0-UK-WESTERN-EUROPE-SAT-NAV-DISC-CIVIC-ACCORD-CR-V/123805412955?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

Has anyone any idea how to tell if this is genuine or not as I wouldn't want to damage my sat nav.

• Like 2

• Moderators

Not a genuine disk at that price but is marked up Honda and made in Japan but that is probably copied on.

Having said that its factory pressed and the seller is insistent to ensure you check certain criteria before you buy.

Seller also does disks for other manufacturers too........

I presume your unit is working correctly too and this is not just a buy to get running again?.

A lot of Honda sat navs have troubles with the laser reader and give intermittent readouts / duty.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, PTR200S said:

Not a genuine disk at that price but is marked up Honda and made in Japan but that is probably copied on.

Having said that its factory pressed and the seller is insistent to ensure you check certain criteria before you buy.

Seller also does disks for other manufacturers too........

I presume your unit is working correctly too and this is not just a buy to get running again?.

A lot of Honda sat navs have troubles with the laser reader and give intermittent readouts / duty.

Yes mine is working fine I've just noticed quite a few new roads not on it so wouldn't mind an update if it's not to expensive.

I've also just come across another one that seems to have a very similar ad to the guy on ebay https://www.satnavishop.co.uk/2018-honda-v3c0-navigation-map-dvd-sat-nav-update-disc-181-p.asp

Think I'll have to do a bit more research and see if any of these are genuine.

Thanks for the reply.

• Like 1

• Moderators

Looks like both the ebay and online sellers are in London - that said, London is a big place! The ebay one won't accept returns and doesn't seem to offer a warranty so might be worth paying the extra for the online sellers disc.

However, many moons ago when i had a satnag, i got fed up driving through fields on new roads that didn't exist according to the unit. When i got a smartphone and discovered GaggleMops (Google Maps) including navigation and found it was updated very frequently, i simply used my phones satnag function and now use a Bluetooth-FM transmitter to feed the directions through the speakers in the car with music playing from my phone. THe satnag mutes the music gently, gives the directions then brings the music back up gently and the other handy feature is that you get alerts of accidents, hold ups etc and the option to re-route with expected delays either way.

Not suggesting you rip out the original satnag, just "retire" it for day to day use and use your phone instead. ;):D

• Like 1

• Administrators
13 minutes ago, Laird_Scooby said:

Not suggesting you rip out the original satnag, just "retire" it for day to day use and use your phone instead. ;):D

Ripped out the double din DVD, PRAT-NAV thingy in the odyssey and opted for a single din radio with (virtually all the same features) single din blank with a holder for my phone to use as SATNAV 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Laird_Scooby said:

Looks like both the ebay and online sellers are in London - that said, London is a big place! The ebay one won't accept returns and doesn't seem to offer a warranty so might be worth paying the extra for the online sellers disc.

However, many moons ago when i had a satnag, i got fed up driving through fields on new roads that didn't exist according to the unit. When i got a smartphone and discovered GaggleMops (Google Maps) including navigation and found it was updated very frequently, i simply used my phones satnag function and now use a Bluetooth-FM transmitter to feed the directions through the speakers in the car with music playing from my phone. THe satnag mutes the music gently, gives the directions then brings the music back up gently and the other handy feature is that you get alerts of accidents, hold ups etc and the option to re-route with expected delays either way.

Get you with all your high tech trickery haha, Yes tbh mate probably not a bad shout.

Does that use a lot of data on your phone doing that, data plans seem to be getting more expensive these days.

• Like 3

• Moderators

No, Google Maps navigation doesn't use data, it's the same as having a satnav in the first place.

That said, if it realises your route is going to take you through a "dea spot", it does download the directions through that part of the journey in davance which you can do on Wi-Fi at home.

I've managed to use a mind-blowing 150MB of data this month, something to do with watching YouTube while i was out or possibly directions downloaded for a dead spot. I'm on contract and it comes with 1GB of data, a second GB for being a loyal customer and then because i have my home broadband/landline with the same people, i get an extra 5GB so i probably wouldn't notice how much data it used if it did.

THe maps are already in the app on the phone, it gets your location using a GPS sensor and picks up signals from the satellites to work out your exact position. It can also triangulate your position using signals from cell sites, whether they are on your network or not.

• Like 1

• Founding Member

Mitsubishi are no longer fitting satnavs to thier new models as they offer free Android auto and the apple equivalent so you can use the Waze app to navigate with, in essence the reason for this is that your never left with an out of date set of maps as waze is constantly updating, and they also say that they cant make a sat nav as good as the app anyway.

So maybe a better way of updating your sat nav would be trying to find a third party option to enable connection by bluetooth or Android auto to use a 3rd party app for navigation. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Laird_Scooby said:

No, Google Maps navigation doesn't use data, it's the same as having a satnav in the first place.

That said, if it realises your route is going to take you through a "dea spot", it does download the directions through that part of the journey in davance which you can do on Wi-Fi at home.

I've managed to use a mind-blowing 150MB of data this month, something to do with watching YouTube while i was out or possibly directions downloaded for a dead spot. I'm on contract and it comes with 1GB of data, a second GB for being a loyal customer and then because i have my home broadband/landline with the same people, i get an extra 5GB so i probably wouldn't notice how much data it used if it did.

THe maps are already in the app on the phone, it gets your location using a GPS sensor and picks up signals from the satellites to work out your exact position. It can also triangulate your position using signals from cell sites, whether they are on your network or not.

I didn't know you could run gps on your phone like that I thought it still used data through cell towers as well, we live and learn, thanks Dave.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Cryistic said:

Mitsubishi are no longer fitting satnavs to thier new models as they offer free Android auto and the apple equivalent so you can use the Waze app to navigate with, in essence the reason for this is that your never left with an out of date set of maps as waze is constantly updating, and they also say that they cant make a sat nav as good as the app anyway.

So maybe a better way of updating your sat nav would be trying to find a third party option to enable connection by bluetooth or Android auto to use a 3rd party app for navigation. 

Definitely sounds like the way forward.

• Like 2