Subscriptions & Donations ×

Just recently bought a V6 coupe

Retsof G

Good afternoon to everyone, i thought i would just say hello and introduce myself.

I have always liked the look of these honda coupes and brought this about a month ago after seeing on autotrader. It was aubergine metallic pearl V6.

It was priced at £500 and thought i would take a punt. The seller of the car was based in Worthing and im in Boston which equates to 400 miles and a 8 hour round trip. After speaking to mike the seller and asking for more photos and asking if it was a decent car or a bone shaker he stressed it was surplus to requirements as he brought an Audi Q7. 

Apart from a bird shit stain on the bonnet 'his words' it was in fine fettle and had owned for 10 years. 

Famous last words, when me and my wife arrived to look at the car he was amazed we did travel that far but as i had given him my word, after looking around the car 'we have all heard this, well its not a new car you know etc etc" , but to be fair to him it did drive really well, and he had fitted a £1200 alpine sat nav system quite a bit of history and it would of been ridiculous to go all that way and return without the car, we shook hands at £450 and the deal was done . The 200 mile  drive back was really good, everything worked and was satisfied with the purchase. 

Since the purchase i have serviced the brakes and suspension, oil and filter change and conditioned the leather interior &carpets The paint work to be fair is shabby, jusy wear and tear over the years and dark cars being notorious to showing every imperfection. 

I have been fortunate to own a few Jensen interceptors over the decades, having built a MK II from the chassis up and having owned the only MK I manual racing interceptor that they built at Kelvin Way that used to race against the cheshire cats in its glory days and a rather nice vauxhall royale coupe i owned for a few years. The worst cars being a Mercedes 6 litre coupe, which never started and was shuffled back to the dealer after a month. Every car maker has a lemon and i had it. 

Moving to the present again a few questions regarding the v6 accord, next job i am going to do is change the transmission fluid  Any thoughts, i was going to go for a straightforward dextron 2 as per handbook suggests any thoughts would be appreciated. The oil on the dipstick is a very light pinkish brown still very slight odour im not going to do a full flush at this stage as it drives fine. 

Trivia questions: Does the boot have the same sound proofing as the bonnet. Also, when the vehicle is in park and i turn the ignition on (without starting car) the D4 is lit up as soon as the ignition key is turned and the car is started it the D4 goes out immediately. My question is, if the car is in park surely when i turn the key the only light that should be lit regarding gear selection surely would be the P. This car is a 1998 with 89000 and its currently on SORN. I will keep you posted on my efforts  tar tar for now 

20170315_161043.jpg

20170325_104456.jpg

20170325_104639.jpg

20170325_104625.jpg

20170325_104715.jpg

20170315_161114.jpg

20170228_133203.jpg

• Like 4

• Administrators

Welcome to the club Gary, looks a good example always been a fan of the darker colours, but as you say they do show up the marks. The D4 light illuminating is an indication of the transmission controller powering up, they all do it. Transmission servicing is something I would do above all else ^_^ check out the topics linked below and ask direct any questions in those sections. Regards the boot sound proofing/ trim, some do have the boot lid interior trim some don't and I have a spare liner but it's very likely the holes are not present to install one anyway. ;)

• Like 1

Good afternoon i appreciate your reply and from reading uploads i understand what you dont know about these vehicles  can fill a peanut ? i can confirm the holes in the boot lid are present . I brough the honda really as a hobby being retired and not long moving back to the UK  . I do agree with a post i read stating he brought his honda just as a run about however there is a  snowballs effect and then the simple service of the vehicle moves on to a full  repaint  alloy refurbishment, then the cheap purchase of the vehicle is lost  and every cup of wallop that your beloved leaves on the wall for you to drink is always drunk cold ,i think i might be consuming vast quantities of cold tea ?

• Like 4

• Administrators
11 minutes ago, Retsof G said:

Good afternoon i appreciate your reply and from reading uploads i understand what you dont know about these vehicles  can fill a peanut ? i can confirm the holes in the boot lid are present . I brough the honda really as a hobby being retired and not long moving back to the UK  . I do agree with a post i read stating he brought his honda just as a run about however there is a  snowballs effect and then the simple service of the vehicle moves on to a full  repaint  alloy refurbishment, then the cheap purchase of the vehicle is lost  and every cup of wallop that your beloved leaves on the wall for you to drink is always drunk cold ,i think i might be consuming vast quantities of cold tea ?

I have a good knowledge of these genuine well glued together motors, always worth listening to other members experiences as well and FYI on car cleaning Ahsanul talks the talk and walks the walk for sure ;)

• Like 3

On 26/03/2017 at 2:10 PM, AhsyV6 said:

Welcome to the forum Gary,

looks like a solid example. 

You will find everything you need to know about these coupes on here. 

Enjoy and good luck

Ahsanul

Much Appreciated thanks, well I spotted a few coupes over the months, I was indeed tempted by a blue V6 again on auto trader,  tints, stainless exhausts later alloys for £750.00.  however, i am partial to the blackberry colour hence the purchase & for the price they are a cheap thrill  . Earlier today a gold v6 again on auto  trader for £499 

• Like 3

• The title was changed to Just recently bought a V6 coupe
  • Founding Member

Welcome Gary.  My top tip for anyone new to the USA made coupe is to wait for the D4 light to extinguish before starting the car.  It ensures that the injectors are well primed and then you should have no trouble starting first time every time.  So....turn key....wait for D4 to go out then start.

Regarding ATF fluid, please read the threads on here and some fluid IS NOT compatible with our boxes.  Valvoline is the current preferred fluid, there loads of advice and information is the threads.

Another Geoff's Top Tip is to only use quality fuels, Shell (especially V Power), BP etc, avoid any cheap supermarket petrol, our engines love the quality stuff.

And finally, please read through some of the threads on here for any tips and advice.  Don't hesitate to ask questions and you'll enjoy driving your coupe as much as we do.  Oh and it's quite rare too, around 300 V6's and even less 2.0 ES's.

• Like 4

Hello and a belated "Welcome"...... :)

Yours certainly sounds and looks like a very fine example indeed! Even looks like it has a new Exhaust System! Not to be sniffed at as they cost more than you paid for the car!...lol. And together with the Alpine ICE installed, I reckon you got a bargain chap.... :D

I'm quite new to ownership aswell - never even own a Honda before, unless you start talking Motorcycles. ;)

Good luck and enjoy! 

Cheers, Bill......

Cheers bill , well to be fair the alpine system was a little reluctant to operate it made the right noises but the screen was a little shy to show itself so out came the centre panel i stripped the unit out the car checked the connection and refitted it , it seems fine touch wood ,i think it was a little damp ?? Not sure if the honda had stood a while ? Ive since found the remote , i am sure i drooled over your car bill if its the one that was advertised on auto trader ? A while ago , i do like most of the colour options on the coupe but i always did like the aubergine pearl ,  the exhaust i think is not that old , i brought the two stainless tail pipe finishers from a firm in china ebay  under £7 the pair inc p&p and they are really pretty good and arrived under two weeks  , the chrome ones that came with the car had rotted on the exhausts and needed brute force trauma to remove  best regards gary 

• Like 2

Cheers geoff ??. Thank you i will certainly take your advice on the D4 light prior to start up ??. I might have dropped the ball regarding the right ATF to use , the handbook states using the  the premium honda ATF or dextron 2/3 well i did have a quantity of kendall AFT so  i replaced the amount drained with new and will continue to replace over the coming months until the old AFT is totally replaced by new fluid , i did read the reviews regarding brands of AFT  suitable to use and my thanks to stu for supplying the links , stu did mention the kendall might not be suitable and i think he is on the money , in my defence i doubt if i would have made use of the kendall in the near future and i did think of using it to replace the old AFT totally and i will  replace with smith & allan or max life  when i start to drive  the honda more regularly.  Thanks again  regards gary 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Retsof G said:

Cheers Bill ,  I am sure I drooled over your car Bill if it's the one that was advertised on auto trader? Best regards, Gary 

You're welcome Gary.....

If it was the one advertised in Portsmouth/Gosport back in October last year with the 'Monstrous' Exhausts and FN2 18" Alloys, then most probably was. :) But sadly no Spoiler like yours has... :(:(

Glad you got the Alpine working, (what model?) and sorted the Trims - they look nice! Also your Interior looks bloody smart! I must get around to cleaning mine properly. Just need to find the enthusiasm...lol.

Anyway, best of luck with the car.

Cheers, Bill. :)

Cheers Bill .???yes i think it was your car , i kept going back on the site and taking another look i was very temped its looks superb ??? & i have enjoyed reading your uploads , i think the photos of my interior i uploaded may flatter the interior ,it is pretty good there is a slight split in the vinyl side panel on the drivers side near the lever which drops the the seat forward ,i have a story about the cleaner i used and i will upload the products i used one being the Autoglym which i was disappointed with , and the other called stardrops leather clean & feed which cost about £1.00  and was superb , i have no idea why the Autoglym struggled it was as if the original contents of the Autoglym had been replaced by cheap washing up liquid ,i will take some photos of the unit and place on the forum thanks again gary ??? apparently mikes wife lost the plot when he brought the alpine package and the fitting cost  the sat nav unit is located  under the passenger front seat & the dvd/cd unit is touch screen , the manual that came with it is thicker than the yellow pages and dont think i will ever get through it , but it does have some nice features but think its knocking on in years but works fine , mike included the original pioneer unit that came with the car and the cd unit is still in the boot so i could go back to original at some stage .

20170405_142240.jpg

20170405_142334.jpg

20170405_142509.jpg

20170405_142355.jpg

• Like 1

Hi Gary.

Yes, I tried the A-G Leather Cleaner and not too impressed, which I find unusual for an A-G product...??? I will have to try something else, and use a brush.

Yes, I do go overboard on posting sometimes - will have to calm down...lol. As you have seen no doubt I have made a few changes over the last months. :) But thank you for the compliment. ;)

I've always wanted a Flip-Out Headunit but loathe to purchase second-hand and new is out of my reach. The IVA-D300R Unit still sells for around £200.00 on Ebay s/hand! You definitely got a bargain there chap!

Technically if you have any queries Stu is your man - "Hughezee".... :) And Ahsy for Detailing. 

I'm not really a "Honda" man so to speak, I was more into Rover 75's for quite a few years previously, going to Car shows etc..... It was my 'Baby' so to speak. :)

This is her prior to being sold:

O7yZBR6.jpg

I changed the Interior quite a bit too... Mostly out of the MG-ZT:

cAPpZuC.jpg

I do miss her but I got an offer I couldn't refuse..... :( Free Motoring for 6 years - Rare with a Rover! ;)

Cheers for now, Bill.

Cheers Bill . The rover looks showroom condition ??? a man after my own heart  ??? ,i know ive sold cars and have to say i have cried silly i know but you put your heart & more and its a sad day when somebody else drives away in your pride and joy , and i do think you are built that way as a person or not and you my friend are ??? you can not explain it to people who to them its just a car , keep the posts coming bill ???  yes i tried to find out about the alpine unit and found it in a old utube upload the bloke in the upload had bloddy bell bottom trousers on  ???  you know i told my wife this time the honda is just a project to keep me busy , i am glad to say as usual thats gone out the window and i am enjoying myself getting old vimto looking good ,yes stu has been superb and i have been very appreciative of his help from day one he is a top gentlman and the offer to help regarding parts if needed ,i have to say hand on heart having joined owners clubs in the past this honda6 puts them to shame seriously,    i read a post very recently the gentleman was cleaning his interior and was given advice on using a nail brush with the leather cleaner it looked super and i enjoyed his views on his coupe , i tried to find it again  and am still trying im sure the coupe was metallic Green  cheers again bill regards gary 

• Like 2

Hi Gary.  It might have been me with the metallic green Coupe - I cleaned my leather with a nailbrush a while back.  

I did the opposite to you: I live in Brighton and bought my car from near Hull.  So a long journey, but I don't regret it.

Andrew

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/04/2017 at 4:58 PM, BN Coupe said:

Hi Gary.  It might have been me with the metallic green Coupe - I cleaned my leather with a nailbrush a while back.  

I did the opposite to you: I live in Brighton and bought my car from near Hull.  So a long journey, but I don't regret it.

Andrew

Hi Andrew, yes it was your upload your car looks great and i used your advice on the cleaning and agreed with your story on your honda purchase  sorry for the delay  i am still finding my way on the site and uploading topics in the incorrect forum no doubt apologies   yes is that sods law with both our honda buys travelling to opposite ends , i dont regret the buy at all for what these big hondas cost at present its such a great buy and  it will be interesting to see what year they will start be climb in price because it will happen

Thanks again 

• Like 1