Subscriptions & Donations ×

Accord Coupe Number Plate Look

hughezee

• Moderators

Not sure about style.? You mean Japanese import style, square?

A couple of us mentioned a week or so back about losing the mounting plate and putting the plate directly on bumper...... it does look ugly protruding so far out.

• Like 4

• Moderators
1 hour ago, AhsyV6 said:

This is VERY personal.....I personally feel having the reg plate "framed" finishes the look of the car and keeps it looking stock..imo:)

You are right, the S2000 boys seem to like the smooth finish including taking out the headlamp washers....yet my S2k I left stock for the reason you mention.

Having said that the Coupe just seems wrong somehow, maybe it will grow on me :D

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I am faced with a similar decision. Thanks for posting pic of the front jdm style plate, was struggling to find any.

I think the square look is nice. It feels slightly larger than perfect but I guess has to be like that so it is within legal dimensions. I measured the distance between the 2x drill holes on the bumper, approx 23cm. So a smaller rectangular plate could be an option too, if mounted directly to the drill holes. Especially if you don't have scratches hidden underneath the stock plate holder then this could look really good.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I went with a 16x4.4 inch plate stuck right to the bumper. In case it falls off...I have a vinyl number plate underneath lol

Just a thought. I think the plate can be mounted at the bottom of the front bumper. Maybe the lip on yours will mean its angled slightly but could still look good. I saw it on an Mazda i think (on the road so didnt see it properly).

Of course that would mean the drill holes on the couoe would need to be covered somehow and another respray of the bumper. Too much effort?

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
  • Moderators

Today I decided to take my personal reg off the S2000, (up for sale soon) and transfer it to the V6 Coupe.

DVLA online transfer all done in five minutes ! :)

Not often do the DVLA get any praise but (apart from the cost!) system worked perfectly, five minutes to change all the reg plates, total ten minutes all done!:D

Anyway, after having put the number plate on coupe I got to thinking about the smooth line reg plate discussion a couple months back... I definitely do NOT like the reg plate holder on the Coupe. 

Just trawling the new sections on the site here I found the 2016 Scotland meet pics, two of the cars there have the plates mounted directly to the bumper and one does not, makes for a very stark contrast when its seen like that.

Later today, the next job will be to get the holder off and mount the plate directly, its just two screw holes in the bumper so I can always come back to the holder and it will cover the holes.

If that looks ok I might consider a vinyl (?) plate, is that legal?

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, PTR200S said:

If that looks ok I might consider a vinyl (?) plate, is that legal?

I had a vinyl plate for a few days. I spent many hours researching it and the consensus was it is legal (with several caveats around reflection properties, and the usual spacing etc) but you would likely have a lot of hassle if ever stopped in that you may have to argue your case, maybe even keeping paperwork to prove it to a cop in the car. All seemed abit unnecessary. The main issue I had was with the 2 mount holes on the bumper. The Vinyl would go over it and so there were some unsightly bumps into the registration (as it takes the form of where its stuck) and slightly disfigured the registration numbers hence I was even more wary. Having said that, my local supermarket with APR (?) cameras always correctly detected my registration and the screen greeted me :).  I think the only way to get the vinyl to stick flat and smooth would be to somehow get rid of the bump on the mounting holes, don't know how possible that is.

In the end I just stuck my plate directly onto the bumper using very strong double sided adhesive. I prefer the look way more now.

Due to the angle of the bumper I could only really stick the bottom of my plate and about halfway up on the sides. So there is a slight gap on the top where leaves and rain does go into. Semi-regular cleaning is therefore essential. The way mine is setup is if the plate does falls off I still have my vinyl plate underneath lol so could continue to drive until I get home in case it happens on the road and I don't realise. I do need to re-strengthen the bond of the plate with the bumper as when cleaning I do end up lightly peeling it back to get the leaves etc off. Might just take it off completely and re-seat with fresh adhesive. Something to go on my to do list for now.

• Like 1

• Moderators
9 minutes ago, kag8 said:

my local supermarket with APR (?) cameras always correctly detected my registration and the screen greeted me :)

Blimey - i thought i was doing well when my local Chinese takeaway answers the phone "Herro Dave!" :P

Actually that's a little unfair - his English is excellent with hardly any accent at all. :D

Joking aside, with the number plates, vinyl plates are all well and good on the sort of cars that are meant to have them, on something like the Accord Coupé i think they would look out of place, it's meant to be a comfortable cruiser, a "GT" if you will rather than a sports car.

Triumph GT6 with a vinyl plate? Oooooohhhhh yes! (That dog has a lot to answer for! :lol: )

Accord Coupé with a vinyl plate? Naaaah!

Just my opinion, i think the fact Kag has covered his vinyl plate up says a lot too! ;):D

• Like 2

• Moderators
1 hour ago, kag8 said:

In the end I just stuck my plate directly onto the bumper using very strong double sided adhesive. I prefer the look way more now.

Due to the angle of the bumper I could only really stick the bottom of my plate and about halfway up on the sides. So there is a slight gap on the top where leaves and rain does go into.

Yep, I see what you mean, the angle and those mount holes are a slight problem, in the end I did exactly that, screwed it directly to the bumper but I decided to mount a centre holes as well to pull the top in, not perfect but ok for now... considering buying a new plate and drilling holes exactly where the original mount went...maybe :rolleyes:

SwHqC8b.jpg

bumps very apparent !

bmzDjXp.jpg

slight curve because of mounts

WoejAY8.jpg

Must get some new screw caps too,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Mangoman said:

I have to say it was pretty thick Vinyl though which hid the original holes in the Bumper unless you looked really closely, and were looking for them.

Yes, that is thicker than the Vinyl I received. Mine was literally A4 paper thin (ok maybe I exaggearate). The one on your celica looks really good! Where did you order it from?

I think it will definitely cover the mount holes and it will take the shape of the bumper very nicely. Something I would be tempted to do on my coupe if my current plate does ever fall off and go missing.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Laird_Scooby said:

Accord Coupé with a vinyl plate? Naaaah!

The guys lucky enough to have a bodykit on theres could get away with it I think. Gives it that more sporty look. Even the Square JDM plates would look good imo. Or even having a regular plate placed almost at the bottom of the bumper but to the left (passenger side) - saw it on a Supra I think it looked really nice.

basically anything but the stock mount!

• Like 2

• Moderators
3 minutes ago, kag8 said:

I think it will definitely cover the mount holes and it will take the shape of the bumper very nicely.

Looking at the mount points again I reckon cutting them off and using a small amount of filler would fix the problem.... unfortunately there is no way back at that point :(

• Like 2

Just now, PTR200S said:

Looking at the mount points again I reckon cutting them off and using a small amount of filler would fix the problem.... unfortunately there is no way back at that point :(

Yeah, but maybe try the thicker Vinyl? I'm quite excited by it. Looks like it will hide the mounting holes and stick onto the curved bumper exactly.

If you are brave enough to cut off the mounting holes, do it to the headlight washers too! :P give it a cleaner look all round!

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

• Moderators
10 minutes ago, kag8 said:

Looks like it will hide the mounting holes

Yes it will but they stick out a long way which means a bump (well it is a bumper :P) so no matter how thick the vinyl it will always show...... although it would be an improvement !

• Like 2

Ah, I see the Mounts on the Bumper protrude. On the Celica they didn't, they were dips as far as I could tell.

I bought the car with this plate attached so I really didn't have a choice, and to be honest I never even gave it a second thought - ignorance is bliss sometimes... :) 

My Plate Holder will have to stay where it is because I cannie remoove it capt'n... One of the Screws/Bolts just spin.... :(:( It'll tighten up, but loosens to a certain degree then just spins - so it's staying put because I'm buggered if I'm going to remove the Bumper to get it off as all I really wanted to do was give it a coat of Satin Black anyway as it is faded somewhat. I don't mind it to be honest..... But if it was a Satin black it would look better. ;)

And yes, I know I could Mask the Bumper but I don't want to risk any overspray. And anyway, these sorts of things just shouldn't happen!!! :angry:

• Moderators
4 minutes ago, Mangoman said:

My Plate Holder will have to stay where it is because I cannie remoove it capt'n... One of the Screws/Bolts just spin.... :(:( It'll tighten up, but loosens to a certain degree then just spins - so it's staying put because I'm buggered if I'm going to remove the Bumper to get it off as all I really wanted to do was give it a coat of Satin Black anyway as it is faded somewhat. I don't mind it to be honest..... But if it was a Satin black it would look better. ;)

That's a bugggarrr,  My bolts came out no problem as did the plastic clips underneath.  In fact very clean bolts, no rust as such or deterioration, quite surprised really.

Of course you could take it off completely, fill/smooth it down and vinyl it up !!:P

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Mangoman said:

Ah, I see the Mounts on the Bumper protrude. On the Celica they didn't, they were dips as far as I could tell.

I was going by memory so was optimistic that they didn't protrude THAT much, looking at the pic that PRT200S has posted I see that it is huge so the thicker vinyl wouldn't completely hide it. Would be better but not perfect.

@PTR200S get to shaving it off chop chop :P 

• Like 2

• Moderators
2 hours ago, kag8 said:

Even the Square JDM plates would look good

They do indeed! :P

1 hour ago, Mangoman said:

It'll tighten up, but loosens to a certain degree then just spins

Have you tried levering behind the plate as you undo the screw Bill? Often a bit of pressure like this helps the screw to find its way out. ;):D

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Laird_Scooby said:

They do indeed! :P

Have you tried levering behind the plate as you undo the screw Bill? Often a bit of pressure like this helps the screw to find its way out. ;):D

Hi-De-Hi Dave....

Yes, it was the first thing I tried but even that didn't work... :( But thanks anyway. :) 

Anyway, I haven't been completely idle since my last post on What Have You Done To Your Coupe Today, as you will see..... :D 

• Site Subscriber’s

I have removed the mounting bumps by shaving them off. I used the type of paint scraper that holds a Stanley knife blade. The thickness of the plastic was sufficient so that I didn't break through and all I am left with is the screw hole. I haven't got any further as the bumper needs a respray before the self adhesive number plate gets fitted, so all I've done is screw the original plate  directly onto the bumper for now.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2