Subscriptions & Donations ×

What Have You Done To Your Coupe Today

Mangoman

• Moderators
17 minutes ago, PTR200S said:

but it rained ! First time for a week too 🙃

Yesterday was the first time for a week it hadn't rained so i washed my Volvo Pete - it's now Silver-Green again instead of black and white! I blame an owl with dyssentry that sits in the tree and hoots!

Rumour has it that it's drying and warming up from tomorrow onwards so i might even be able to get other jobs done outside on both cars, the garden and so on.

Then again, probably not!

• Clap Hands 1

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Laird_Scooby said:

Rumour has it that it's drying and warming up from tomorrow onwards so i might even be able to get other jobs done outside on both cars, the garden and so on.

I will have to give up my usual Sunday escape too, Garden and associated stuff to do but really need to change at least the oil and filter on the Coupe...I guess the gearbox could wait but seems daft not to do it at the same time....just hope its not windy !!

• Like 1

• Moderators

Changed oil and filter, cracked open the new Smith & Allen oil, new PCX 004

Dropped the gearbox oil, needed a 2 foot breaker bar to undo the 17mm filler cap though, I think they get a bit of corrosion under the cap head to gearbox filler interface. 2.25 litres out, it was on the slant slightly.

The drain plug magnet has collected a very small amount of fine particles and the fluid was still red and "clear" 

Power steering fluid part change, also looking good though.

Bad news, erm yep, exhaust flange on the rear offside silencer has virtually disintegrated and a small leak...some Holts fibre exhaust putty sorted for the time being....gonna need an exhaust into the next year......

is it time to call it a day with this car ??

Nooh, !! 😜

• Like 1

• Moderators

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/171769786376

These used to be available in the UK but seems only from abroad now so the postage kills the deal. That said, searching with slightly different criteria reveals :

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_nkw=exhaust+flange+repair+kit&_sop=15

Reckon there's something there that will do what you need! ;):D

• Thanks 1

• Moderators
59 minutes ago, PaulS said:

I think that a good exhaust place can supply a new flange and weld it in for you....

Good point, by the time I have bought the bits, 38 quids worth ( two flanges, might as well do the otherside as it is nearly as bad.) and then stripped the exhaust and welded it up it might be not that far off the local fabricators price...

The only thing that bothers me is how much metal will be left to weld to !!!  

Perhaps this ? 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/164433230805?

Except they seem to have cut off the mid pipe 😕

• Like 1

• Moderators
9 minutes ago, PTR200S said:

Perhaps this ? 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/164433230805?

Except they seem to have cut off the mid pipe 😕

It's a long way to drive for it though Pete! It says collection in person only. Looks very familiar, almost like the one on Mangomans old car that appeared in one of the local car sales places about 2-3 years back. Probably sold to a USAF person and then scrapped when they PCS'd as is the usual thing but i din't see it floating around like i normally would with "cars of interest" so could have been sold elsewhere and may still be going.

• Like 1

• Founding Member
1 hour ago, PTR200S said:

The only thing that bothers me is how much metal will be left to weld to !!!  

That'sthe thing with the fabricators - they can supply new bits of pipe too - cut and bend it as necessary and replace all the rotten bits....  Of course, you could do that yourself too assuming you have the skill and equipment....

• Like 1

• Moderators
13 minutes ago, PaulS said:

That'sthe thing with the fabricators - they can supply new bits of pipe too - cut and bend it as necessary and replace all the rotten bits....

........and some not so rotten bits too. Or they can ssay the remains of the system is too rotten to weld/clamp to and you need a complete section fabricated at a cost of £OUCH! including fitting.

As you can tell i'm a cynical old git Paul and if you're only getting a partial repair, it's generally better to DIY if you possibly can - first it's cheaper and second, you don't lay yourself open to being conned.

FWIW i'm still waiting on my credit card company getting my money back from the welding episode on my Rover which is a good case in point.

Long story short if you haven't read that thread, the guy made an absolute pigs ear of a job of it that wouldn't even pass the MoT but has not only passed it himself but charged me 20% more than he quoted (and even then "technically" overcharged me, albeit only pennies) because he rounded up to the next whole pound.

As you can guess i have a downer on many so-called tradesmen at the moment but many people will take advantage for whatever reason.

• Like 1

• Moderators
27 minutes ago, PaulS said:

That's the thing with the fabricators - they can supply new bits of pipe too - cut and bend it as necessary and replace all the rotten bits....  Of course, you could do that yourself too assuming you have the skill and equipment....

Yes, I could do the main stuff, cut and shut/weld but INTRICATE bending of exhaust pipes is something else that fabricators are shit hot on, after all they do it every day., ....

Big snag with fabricators is that the price can rapidly rise with what they deem to be a problem...whereas I might look for an alternative solution they only work to their normal business model...perfectly understandable from a business point of view as time is money.....

still, I don't have time to waste either as I am already on the downhill stretch and the light at the end of the tunnel grows brighter ......😭

• Like 1

• Moderators
12 minutes ago, PTR200S said:

it looks a bit of a crap pipe anyway. 😜

Almost certainly is and not worth the grief of getting it either.

You could use the £95 plus the cost of the fuel for a 460 ish mile round trip towards getting the bits to either fix yours up as it is or towards having a stainless system built for it instead or just buy a couple of long service sleeves and delete the flanges for about £20 instead. Also save yourself about 8 hours travel time or 9 hours if you drop in for a coffee.

• Moderators
17 minutes ago, PTR200S said:

INTRICATE bending of exhaust pipes is something else

So is flexipipe! :P

You can also buy T and Y sections for clamping or welding in to effect a repair relatively cheaply and also various bends of 30, 45, 60, 90 and i belive other degrees.

You've probably seen a pattern here Pete, i keep throwing up cheap ways of fixing it that should last a while, long enough i would hope that even at a modest rate, say the equivalent of a couple of Starbucks/Costa/similar coffees away each week and have enough to take it to a proper exhaust builder and get a decent stainless system made and fitted before your repairs expired.

That would be the ultimate repair, of course you have to come up with the believable man-maths to convince SWMBO that it's worth getting a stainless system built - getting a price for a genuine Honda system should help in that respect! :P;):D

• Like 1

• Moderators

I have several "bends" in stock to go at but they are just in one direction, properly bent tube can have multi angles smooth bends.

Trouble with using premade joints is they look crap if you need any muti bending...properly bent tubing is much better and avoids multi joints that can and do leak unless welded correctly. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • Moderators

Today was bath day after the dirty thread pics !! 😛

Fluids, tyre and other checks too.... still running great 👍😎

The weather is hot and wet at the moment and after the overnight gentle showers most of the dust was loose so cleaned off nicely but no chance on polish / wash though...

dirty-beast-2-070921.jpg

dirty-beast-4-070921.jpg

• Like 1
  • Clap Hands 1