Subscriptions & Donations ×

What Have You Done To Your Coupe Today

Mangoman

• 3 weeks later...
  • Site Subscriber’s

Well I set to and the paintwork yesterday which was a daft idea once the sun had come out.

It's a shambles. A street dwelling car that's seen autowash machines too many times and more scrapes than you can imagine. It's black, the edge of the panels etc are starting to peel and there are even white patches mid panel.

Only managed to get the roof, window surrounds and boot lid done but they were clayed, tcut, resin polish and then waxed. That was knackering.

It don't look good but at least it's protected. I'll get round to the bonnet next.

• Like 3

• Site Subscriber’s

Indeed - It'll be nice to see a V6 that's been cared for and cherished. Whilst this one drives lovely and has been looked after mechanically, it'd be nice to have one with the bodykit and not have to use it for work but I'm planning on keeping her for a few years, so a wax from time to time is the minimum I can do for the bodywork. Changing the oils etc goes without saying... except I just did ?

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
  • Moderators

Today i thought i should wash the Coupe and get it up on my new ramps for a look see and do anything necessary before winter as the nights are closing in ? 

Wash went well, the moving of car not so much. 

The other V6 has been getting attention and the Coupe spat its dummy out by having a flat battery, a cell, or two !! have died..2.3 volts left in it , arrrgggghhh.

I have had two batteries burst their sides in the heat we have been having , off some building machinery, but it would appear its got to the Coupe battery as all was ok two weeks ago.

I have had batteries die from extreme cold but heat? 

Anyway as we hit 31c today that probably finished off, just cant see any other reason for it.

So yet another battery to buy tomorrow ?  Accord Tourer 5 months ago , the Jag last week and now the Coupe? 

Anyone else had this or is it just all concidental???

• Like 2

• Moderators

The heat can kill batteries as easily as the cold Pete. It could simply have gone flat though so might pay to check the level and trickle charge it and see what you've got. If you can check the SG of each cell before you try trickle charging, then all the better as that would show any dud cells first. ;):D

• Like 1

• Administrators
20 minutes ago, PTR200S said:

Its knackered, two cells open circuit according to the diagnostics.., bulge in side of battery too., Definitely fubar.

I have gone through plenty of battery's with my coupe with it sitting around more these days, although found the Yuasa battery the best and they apparently they better designed according to my parts supplier 80% fewer warranty claims over the other big brands and thinking about all the cars I've fitted Yuasa battery into without a thought some are still going longer than average 8-9 years still fine.

Also managed to get the coupe clean this morning and a quick spin to dry more thoroughly, its the law... 

• Like 1

• Founding Member

I have solar chargers connected up to my cars and these help keep the batteries charged up.  But if I leave the car for a month or so, battery on the Honda starts to flatten, but solar chargers on my Mercs hold their own.  My Mitsubishi benefits from a mains trickle charger.....

But I also have a battery reconditioner from Ring, and that has managed to revive many (but not all) dead batteries presented to it.  I am currently trying to revive a couple of 12v batteries from a disabled person's scooter and last week failed with a friend's motorbike battery ....  But I have acquired for myself 3 12v batteries from folk who said they were dead as a Dodo but those recovered well enough...

But even I would not attempt recovery of a battery that was misshapen!

Strange how the aircon on my coupe was working fine a couple of weeks ago, but now it is hot outside, it seems to not be working at all any longer....

• Like 3

• Moderators
2 minutes ago, PaulS said:

Strange how the aircon on my coupe was working fine a couple of weeks ago, but now it is hot outside, it seems to not be working at all any longer....

Not as strange as it sounds! There are pressure switches in the system, one is under and the other is over pressure. Either will stop the A/C working but the symptom you've got sounds very like it worked very well before the hot weather?

Chances are it was on the upper limit of its gas quantity at a more "normal" ambient temperature. There's a law of Physics called "Boyles Law" and basically in simple terms, that states that a volume of gas at a given pressure and temperature will double in pressure if the temperature is doubled.

Go back a couple of weeks to when it was about 15C and the A/C worked fine. Now it's 30C and the temperature of the gas in the A/C has increased in temperature and pressure so it's knocked out the over pressure switch.

If you drive the car with the A/C switch set to on, the fans may well cool it down enough to get it working again. ;):D

• Like 1

• Administrators

Sorry to hear this Paul, mine lasted 15 years before it lost enough pressure via the low-pressure valve to stop working, so overhauled my system whilst I had the opportunity and I doubt the quality of the refrigerant and pag oil is anywhere near as good as it was 10 years ago, so will service my freezing cold A.C system(s) every 2-3 years as per the manufacturer recommendation.

Also might be worth trying this stuff I've had great results using it topic linked below...

• Like 2

• Moderators
10 hours ago, hughezee said:

I have gone through plenty of battery's with my coupe with it sitting around more these days, although found the Yuasa battery the best and they apparently they better designed according to my parts supplier 80% fewer warranty claims over the other big brands and thinking about all the cars I've fitted Yuasa battery into without a thought some are still going longer than average 8-9 years still fine.

Also managed to get the coupe clean this morning and a quick spin to dry more thoroughly, its the law... 

Yep, agree on the Yuasa battery front, used them in lots of bikes, particularly, over the years BUT here is what came out of the Coupe ??? 

yuasa_3000_battery_dead.jpg

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

• Moderators

Quick check on prices for these batteries reveals everything from £74 at Amazon, 3 day delivery, to a whopping £128 from Yuasa themselves, with Eurobatteries in at £112 ish.

Even MDS on Ebay are at £95...Platinum batteries can be had with three year warranty too at 86 quid, delivered in two hours.

• Like 1

• Moderators

Have a look at this Pete - i believe the 027 is the same battery as originally fitted :

https://advancedbatterysupplies.co.uk/product-tag/027

I don't know if the Accord Coupé has a "smart" alternator that senses when it has a calcium battery fitted, if not then the calcium variety are best avoided.

Maybe Stu can confirm the 027 is the correct equivalent, if not you can enter the dimensions, A/h rating etc on that site and find the correct battery as they don't list the 3.0 V6 Coupé separately. ;):D

• Like 1

• Moderators

Thanks for that Dave, would be an ok battery, just short on capacity marginally but up on cca ? 

unfortunately the terminals posts layout is wrong, I need left hand positive. size is pretty close though, wonder if there is enough cable to accept a change to post layout. have to check when i get back to base.

In the meantime, I have been left a Yuasa battery,( I am assured !) the same version !! by a mate whom just happened to have one lying around.? Got 12.1v in it but I will need to wait and see it when I get in.

• Moderators

I'll have a better look later Pete, i see what you mean about the terminal layout, surprised i didn't notice it was the wrong way round! :blush:

Just had a quick look and found these :

https://advancedbatterysupplies.co.uk/product-tag/069/

I'm not sure what dimensions you have to play with but it's a similar size so will probably be ok, at least the terminals are the right way round! ;):D

• Like 1

• Moderators

Cheers Dave, 069 rings a bell somewhere, might have been in the discussion re the Tourer battery. Have to watch the size as there is not a lot of leeway in the battery holder, height would be one thing to watch for... anything above about 175mm could be a problem !

I will ring Holdcroft too, when I get in (lot to do when I get in !!) and see if they can help as the Tourer battery was about £50... alternative if i recall is Stu mentioned Bosch....probably the ones Honda have made for them !?

• Like 2

• Administrators
2 hours ago, PTR200S said:

069 rings a bell somewhere

The perfect fit for the 3.0 V6 coupe is a type 069, although I found a couple of coupes fitted with a smaller one e,g Yuasa YBX3014, although mine now has a Yuasa YBX3069 which has been better than a Genuine battery so far...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Moderators

Quick update, the battery left by mate is actually taking charge !  Holding off ordering a new one just yet.

Instead put a few quid into the club kitty !!

Edit, some hours later and this battery has thrown its hand in I think..giving me an F003 code on charger, basically F for Fubar on a cell. 

Double edit ? 

Hmmm, left on charger over night on recovery mode and today, Friday, its actually got a a good charge/ voltage. Leaving until tomorrow night, Saturday then going to hit with the drop tester..

• Like 2

• Moderators

Yippee, !! Battery condition well into the green on the drop test so it's going on Coupe once the heat of the day dies down.

Been between 30 and 32c for past week, only 26c today , at the moment !!! ? 

• Like 4

• Site Subscriber’s

So fitted the nicely powder coated wheels on Wednesday - a sweet job by the best guys around here. Then as I left the place, the exhaust started blowing. Up on the ramps straight away and the weld on a pipe to silencer join had cracked completely, I guess I've been ragging the car a lot since Stu did the cambelt. Anyways, today, had it welded back up for £40 and it's quiet as you like. Should last a good while yet.

All ready for the drive to Switzerland this weekend.

• Like 4

• Moderators

Mmmmm, Toblerone .....mmmmm powder coating, .....mmmmm quiet exhaust. WHAT !!!!

Have a good trip....dont forget the obligatory pics with the wheels in spin mode.......... And the Toblerone too!!¡!!!!

• Haha 3

• 3 weeks later...
  • Moderators

As mentioned earlier in the year I said would take the sill covers off the Coupe and have a look see plus the offside one has come off its clip at the rear.

This afternoon got it jacked up and undid all the lower screws on the offside cover, removed the mudflap and tried to shift it forwards off the clips...managed about 1/4" that's all, got loads of dried mud coming out though so definitely need to get the cover off for an investigation.

What am I missing?  is there another clip or screw somewhere?

• Confused 2