Subscriptions & Donations ×

What Have You Done To Your Coupe Today

Mangoman

• Moderators
30 minutes ago, Mangoman said:

And to be honest brake fade has just as much to do with shite brake fluid and deteriorated hydraulic rubber hoses than anything else. And this particular problem can often be caused by using high performance Discs and Pads without upgrading the other components like Calipers and Hoses.

And the brake fluid as well! Heat transfer from the pads/discs to the caliper can heat the fluid up to the point where it boils. What happens when a fluid boils? It gets bubbles in!

Eicher and Pagid (same things as you pointed out earlier) are a cheaper option than OE but are IMHO better than Mintex-Dom. Once upon a time Mintex were "the" pads to have but they've been made cheaper and cheaper and are now horrible things. Also many of the cheap pads use a softer pad compound than others (which i happen to like) and some cheaper ones use softer still. To compensate they add harder materials to the compound (metal particles come to mind) which can wear and score discs horrendously without giving any improvement in braking.

The Eicher/Pagid stuff falls into the cheap category of softer compounds without the extra metal or whatever it may be. Pad glaze can become a problem with soft brake pad compounds (especially if you're light on the brakes like i am) but the occasional stomp om the pedal from a reasonable speed sorts this out. ;):D

Finally took apart the AEM induction filter just to satisfy curiosity and clean.

Was a bit gunked up and stained down one side from water/salt most likely. Its a dry filter so no oil, so the K&N oil spray i picked up on the car boot for a quid wasn't a massive waste. Stuck compressor on and blew it out instead. Looks much better. Although it does a slight whistle now which leads into the low grumble so not an annoying one.

I have pics but lost the ability to upload??

• Moderators
7 minutes ago, Andy Mc said:

I have pics but lost the ability to upload??

Go to http://postimages.org/

and set up an account (it's simple and free) and upload your photos to it. Once uploaded, click the share button on the image you want, it will bring up a panel of links. At the end of each lnik is a copy button, click on the one for "Direct Links" then paste it here where you want it to appear in your post.

Job done! ;):D

• Administrators
14 minutes ago, Andy Mc said:

Will do, I've put pictures up before, just slept since thats all hah. I'll figure it out!

In light of Photobucket's recent subscription changes and FREE users losing the ability to host third party images on other sites, we had an influx of uploaded directly to the site. So this once convenient feature has been disabled for a short period until I can free up additional server space and avoid the extra cost involved. 

So apologies for that and any future site questions please post them in this section >  http://honda6.ipbhost.com/forum/117-site-discussions/

Many Thanks

• Like 2

• Moderators
Just now, hughezee said:

In light of Photobucket's recent subscription changes and FREE users losing the ability to host third party images on other sites, we had an influx of uploaded directly to the site. So this once convenient feature has been disabled for a short period until I can free up additional server space to avoid further costs involved.

That's why i suggested postimages.org Stu - what i forgot to suggest also is to have a back up on a memory stick or similar, preferably in folders for easy re-uploads to (yet another) fresh hosting site if postimages goes all diva on us too.

The less costs involved in running the site, the more there is for competition prizes, trying new products and so on not to mention food on the table for you, Nikki and kids. ;):D

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Laird_Scooby said:

Go to http://postimages.org/

and set up an account (it's simple and free) and upload your photos to it. Once uploaded, click the share button on the image you want, it will bring up a panel of links. At the end of each lnik is a copy button, click on the one for "Direct Links" then paste it here where you want it to appear in your post.

Job done! ;):D

Thought I might try this Postimages site....

The only other Honda I've owned - amongst others with only 2 wheels.... :D

377749_2239304266458_1363565238_32197057

I had just ridden up to Harare from Virginia, RSA to see my then GF, now wife.on my new Bike.... :D:D Quite a ride. ;)

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/dir/Virginia,+Free+State,+South+Africa/Harare,+Zimbabwe/@-22.8994996,24.010257,6z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m13!4m12!1m5!1m1!1s0x1e919f8a06cc9bb3:0x42f3569f51e956e6!2m2!1d26.8556955!2d-28.1063858!1m5!1m1!1s0x1931a4ee1bdddb35:0xa5143b9be5134f2f!2m2!1d31.03351!2d-17.8251657?hl=en

23 minutes ago, Laird_Scooby said:

Quite a ride? The bike would be overdue its first service by the time you got halfway there! :o

What do you think of postimages then Bill? :huh:

Yes, it was considering it was July and in Virginia in can get blooming cold in Winter at night/early morning! Below freezing, but dry, dry, dry! 

So I only left after 10am when it was a bit warmer. The problem back then was that motorbikes were not allowed in the overhead motorway through Johannesburg so I had to ride through it from south to north, which took me a good 2 hours because of traffic and getting lost. (I had never ridden through Jo'burg before). So by the time I got through it was already around 3pm! Also there was no Motorways outside the cities, just what you would call 'A' roads and very remote. You could drive for an hour and not see another soul.... Except animals on the road. No pleasant. I eventually made it to the Border at around 10pm. and booked into a Motel there for the night. Four hours of riding at night through the bush is quite tiring.

Also for the last couple of hours I had a car on my tail which was really freaking me out, and just stayed there no matter what speed I did.

But when I pulled into the Motel it followed me in and out popped a young lady hoping that she hadn't scared me too much by following me, but explained that she did it in case anything happened. It was the nicest thing I had heard in a long time - gives me goosebumps just thinking about it now. But that was what people were like to each other back then. Nothing was too much trouble. :)

Anyway, after crossing the border the next morning in the heat of the Lowveld I eventually reached Harare in the late afternoon....

So yes, quite a ride...lol. :D

(Apologies for the boring story - I get carried away). :(

Postimages - yes, I like it.  Thanks for the link Dave... ;)

• Moderators

Not a boring story at all Bill, very interesting in fact. It's the sort of thing that we'd never get to hear because it's not "major news" that gets broadcast on tv if you hadn't told us.

I'm sure you know all the news stories about Apartheid and other things from SA much better than the rest of us because you "lived it" so to speak, you were there, at the sharp (or perhaps blunt) end of it all. Thing is that's all most of us know about SA apart from the infamous "Spitting Image South African" song.

• Founding Member

Hi Bill,  I liked Zimbabwe too, it was one of my favourite countries before Mugabe wrecked it.... After the Okovango delta, I Went on the train from Francistown in Botswana to Bulawayo, then hitched through Hwange to Victoria Falls and then back to Harare before a lift to the Botswana border again.  Great folk in Botswana and Zimbabwe, but Zimbabwe was much more lush looking!

• Like 2

13 hours ago, PaulS said:

Hi Bill,  I liked Zimbabwe too, it was one of my favourite countries before Mugabe wrecked it.... After the Okovango delta, I Went on the train from Francistown in Botswana to Bulawayo, then hitched through Hwange to Victoria Falls and then back to Harare before a lift to the Botswana border again.  Great folk in Botswana and Zimbabwe, but Zimbabwe was much more lush looking!

Hi Paul.

Yes, it was a beautiful place - sadly politics have ruined it somewhat now. But only after 1999 did it deteriorate badly.

I actually went there with my folks in 1965, Pre-UDI and left eventually in 1999. Saw the writing on the wall. Southern Africa is now finished, gone the way of the rest of it.

You're quite welcome to go there as a tourist and spend thousands, but to live - it's over.

But I was blessed for the time I had, and loved every minute - it was my home.

A Poem I once read about a Force I was once in....

"The BSAP"

They Northward rode across the land,
Mopani forest , scrub and sand.
Young troopers far from England's green
To take a land few yet had seen.
For Queen, for country and for law
Set to inspire a sense of awe
And friend and foe alike amaze
For these were England's glorious days.

And when that century had died
There followed on a force of pride
The B.S.A.P. had had it's birth
And now was still to prove its worth.
Across Rhodesia's varied lands
They held the reins in steady hands.
Kept the peace, upheld the law
Until there came unwanted war.

We fought to keep what had been won
So little time, so little done.
To none our faults could we atone
None at our backs we stood alone.
With courage, honour, sense of pride
Black and white stood side by side.
As did those troopers long before
With fortitude our role we bore.

We saw as they, Zambesi's dawn
The noble sable, lions yawn.
Watched the jumbo's ponderous tread
The spiralled horns of kudu's head.
The brilliant flash of blue jay's flight
The flying ants round camp fire light.
The fleet impala make its run
The glorious sight of setting sun.

But in an ever changing scene
Where time erases what has been
We watched a land revert and change
To values we considered strange.
But all of us can feel with pride
The comradeship nought can deride
And in our hearts know what is meant
Each time we toast "The Regiment".

Nothing more to say really..... ;)

• Administrators

Very heartfelt words there Bill, although I bet it felt more like a scolded cat moment having to leave your home like that :(  I am still trying to find my way home and hoping to stumble upon my true calling in life, which certainly isn't cars. :mellow:

Sorry still off topic :rolleyes:

• Moderators

Today is oil change day :D ...noticed a little rattle on start up this morning so probably good move. The last change was July 2016 at main dealers so certainly a time change if not mileage.

Got Coupe parked up and front wheels turned fully to right. Easy peasy to get to filter , slightly awkward to sump plug but doable...... Now have a smashed hand after the bolt let go and trapped hand against chassis.:wacko: why oh why do mechanics wind the sh1t out of bolts, nuts etc? :angry: wheel nuts and sump plugs for sure !

Smith & Allan Ultra going in along with genuine Honda S2000 filter :P

faRMVNI.jpg

lovely oil :blink:

2q9rrk5.jpg

lovely oil as well!

JZ1sWMa.jpg

Nice filter, cosy feel:P

• Like 2

• Moderators
28 minutes ago, Laird_Scooby said:

That oil looks like the filter was "changed" by wiping it over with a clean rag! :o

Thing that is more worrying is that the oil and (maybe) the filter was changed by the Honda dealer, standard smaller filter.... when I got the car earlier this year the oil looked "ok" in that it was at least clean and only  6mths and a thousand miles in it.

I didn't like the filter so I just changed it for the bigger S2000 filter and left the oil :wacko:

The oil has been looking clean right up until about a month ago, so I checked the service book, realised it was a year since changing so, obviously, did it today...

Will have to keep and eye on it but maybe now the car has been getting used quite a bit its been flushing the crap out into the oil... maybe change it again in six months.

• Like 2

• Moderators

I suspect the dealer changed the oil (or at least most of it) but not the filter (just wiped it over) and topped it up to the correct level.

When i say "most of it", this is the scenario :

Drive car onto ramp, switch off.

Raise car, remove sump plug.

When the main "gush" of oil stops, refit sump plug, wipe filter clean.

Drop ramp, top up oil to correct level.

Job done - 5 minutes work and they can book all the time quoted plus a filter for the job and the full amount of oil. Remember some oil would still be draining from the heads when the sump plug was going back in! ;):D

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

On 12/08/2017 at 10:11 AM, PTR200S said:

Today is oil change day :D ...noticed a little rattle on start up this morning so probably good move. The last change was July 2016 at main dealers so certainly a time change if not mileage.

Got Coupe parked up and front wheels turned fully to right. Easy peasy to get to filter , slightly awkward to sump plug but doable...... Now have a smashed hand after the bolt let go and trapped hand against chassis.:wacko: why oh why do mechanics wind the sh1t out of bolts, nuts etc? :angry: wheel nuts and sump plugs for sure !

Smith & Allan Ultra going in along with genuine Honda S2000 filter :P

faRMVNI.jpg

lovely oil :blink:

2q9rrk5.jpg

lovely oil as well!

I was under the impression that the Spec for these engines was "ACEA A3/B3"...???

Although I could be totally wrong just like my kuk advice on spark plugs.... :( But then again my engine strangely enough loves them! :)

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Mangoman said:

I was under the impression that the Spec for these engines was "ACEA A3/B3"...???

Although I could be totally wrong just like my kuk advice on spark plugs.... :( But then again my engine strangely enough loves them! :)

Just checked manual and its only requirement is for API SG, SH, SJ....... And it specifically states "your honda does not need any oil additives" :D

• Like 2