Subscriptions & Donations ×

What Have You Done To Your Coupe Today

Mangoman

• Moderators

Blimey - there's a lot of dead parrots around today! :lol:

I crawled under mine and replaced that metal coolant pipe, even managed a couple of pics to add to the "What a Palaver" thread. Also changed the expansion tank for the Volvo one while i was at it, can't find the brackets so for now it's sitting there on its own recognisance awaiting the bracket and tethered with one of those bag wire-wrap closure thingies.

That's two parrots so far for me - while i was at it i also topped up the A/C and tried to change the valve core on the LP service port. Lack of pressure in the system meant it was virtually impossible so i dribbled some of my WMP onto the valve in the hope the ATF will sort the seal on the valve.

While playing silly wotsits in the baking hot sun (the car was showing 43C as the external temperature! :o ) i rubbed some silicone grease into the sunroof seal as it was a bit dry.

All in all 4 parrots for me, albeit small ones! ;):D

• Like 3

• Moderators
4 hours ago, Laird_Scooby said:

While playing silly wotsits in the baking hot sun (the car was showing 43C as the external temperature! :o ) i rubbed some silicone grease into the sunroof seal as it was a bit dry.

All in all 4 parrots for me, albeit small ones! ;):D

Snap, or should I say,

No, no he's not dead, he's , he's just restin.

• Like 2

• Site Subscriber’s

Jacked the front end again to tackle some problems that I have been living with for a while. I have taken the front bumper off to get at the power steering cooling pipe which was leaking (as found by Stu about 3 months ago). I've got the old one off, and I'll be taking it to work as we are in the plumbing supply business and copper tube aren't a problem so that I can knock up a replacement. I took a look at the bumper which has plenty of cracks and scores and scuffs, not all mine I must add, and looking at Stu's picture above I am planning to get it looking pukka again. The foglight housings are in atrocious condition - pm going to Stu. I scraped off all the flaking paint from the cross members and painted the rust with Loctite Rust Remedy which I have had hanging around since my days of owning Montegos. I tried to get the headlamp washer motor running with a few taps from a hammer without success, so a more serious effort is going to have to be made on this.

Finally I have tried once again to remove the hub nut without success. This is in order to replace the lower ball joint that I suspect is the source of some horrible creaking noises. I can't feel any play though - should I be able to?

• Moderators
8 minutes ago, PaulS said:

measured the thread as 12x1.25 , searched my bits & pieces and eventually found a proper hardness castellated nut with the correct thread.  Found a matching die & cleared the thread.

You did well finding that size die! :o

3 minutes ago, davebrads said:

This is in order to replace the lower ball joint that I suspect is the source of some horrible creaking noises.

What condition are your drop-links in? They can make a spine-chilling creaking noise, even when they still look at first glance to be ok - could be worth checking they're not the culprits first.

You'll probably need a 3/4" drive socket set and a 6+' scaffold pole to shift the hub nut - they're tight with a capital "F" or "F-Tight". Can't remember what they are on the Accord V6 but on mine they are 420Nm or about 316lb/ft - gives you an idea what you're up against! ;):D

• Like 2

• Site Subscriber’s

I've taken the number plate off. It has a big piece of the white background missing and is generally looking tatty so a new one will make the front of the car look a lot better. I've been looking at how to remove the mounting points and get a flat surface to apply an adhesive number plate. Reading online it seems their legality is a bit suspect, but the general consensus is that if it reasonably flat and vertical you should get away with it. I've seen cars running about with them stuck on the bonnets so the police can't be too bothered. 

• Like 3

• Moderators

Anyway, back on topic, did another atf change this morning, all went well, not even a drop on the floor :D

Gearbox definitely feels "snappier" , Maybe I should just leave it now, until next year?

Anyway, run out of Valvoline ATF now..........:(

Also pulled the fuse for a reset... by the way it also loses the trip meter readings by pulling this fuse.....

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Well I've been really lazy - haven't even washed it for I can't remember how long up until yesterday!

But today did quite a big job - yes, shortened the Baffle Inserts by about 2 inches and fitted new Allen Bolts and Nylocks as the original ones were getting a bit rusty. Yes rusty! The Bolts, (screws actually) were S/S but the Nuts and Washers were not! How stupid!

Anyway, nice new ones fitted now. :) 

Surprisingly the sound is much softer, not quieter but softer in tone - and something I wasn't expecting the changes even seem smoother. Strange...??? Or maybe because now there us is more distance between where the actual Silencer Outlet ends and where the Baffle Pipe starts is allowing the Exhaust Gasses to move around more and dissipate some of the higher notes - that's my theory anyway - but what do I know..... :(

And seeing I was outside I decided to take a few snaps - as you do..... But with my Xperia Z-Ultra this time instead on my much used Xperia-Z, which are both getting on in years as I got them when they were just released! - What 4, 5 years ago?

Also the Tyres seem to be wearing nice and even, although I think I got the Rears a bit hard - need to rectify that as I never carry anything in the Boot other than the Spare, etc.

The snaps..... (the boring bit - sorry). ;)

v5rS7t1.jpg

jIe4VwU.jpg

Hu9ve5n.jpg

Y8i9g5d.jpg

YEg268n.jpg

qRMZVBS.jpg

LOn9afd.jpg

yhdTd9G.jpg

ZSQ4PFm.jpg

7TuLlcP.jpg

And some Eye-Candy for the Dog-Lovers.... the 2 new additions to the family. Chihuahuas at 7 weeks - Ah cute!

aqumSWY.jpg

Ciao..... :)

• Founding Member

Not done anything to mine in ages including giving it a wash......so today did a quick 1 hour wash and coated the coupe with Sonax Brilliant Shine Detailer and just enjoyed some me time with a 80 mile round trip lapping up the sun with some tunes whilst running errands ;)

This is my coupe in the Toys"R"Us car park....which I have been frequenting quite a lot recently:)

IMG_8477.thumb.JPG.6301acc3fa7eb33dbd43bed233d50592.JPG

• Like 3

• Administrators
On 09/07/2017 at 1:04 AM, AhsyV6 said:

Not done anything to mine in ages including giving it a wash......so today did a quick 1 hour wash and coated the coupe with Sonax Brilliant Shine Detailer and just enjoyed some me time with a 80 mile round trip lapping up the sun with some tunes whilst running errands ;)

This is my coupe in the Toys"R"Us car park....which I have been frequenting quite a lot recently:)

IMG_8477.thumb.JPG.6301acc3fa7eb33dbd43bed233d50592.JPG

Still, prefer green I think :wub:

IMG_20170711_200957[1].jpg

Then again I love my motor :D

• Like 2

• Founding Member
4 hours ago, hughezee said:

"Flex" soooo suits your coupe.....it's looks mean and is solid....I wish I could keep mine maintained like  yours.

• Like 3

• Administrators

Thanks, mate, the only thing bugging me know is my freshly painted bumper needs blending in my, old one matched but another one I had painted was the same :rolleyes: the front lip I re-painted myself is spot on which is even more frustrating...

• Like 1

• Moderators
10 hours ago, hughezee said:

If you had a green one Stu then you'd be posting "Still prefer gold............" :P

The grass is never greener and neither would a Coupé be - i don't think any of us have compromised when buying our cars, you have a unique gold Coupé - Ahsy has a unique green one - everyones cars are unique to them. ;):D

• Like 2