Subscriptions & Donations ×

What Have You Done To Your Coupe Today

Mangoman

• Administrators

I've just been enjoying the coupe today, clocked 80 miles and swear my fuel gauge is stuck ^_^ surprise visit from Geoff as well, great to see you, buddy :)

35 minutes ago, PTR200S said:

It had seized closed but after a bit of huffing, applying pressure one way and then the other i got it to move enough to lift the lid :D

It's all this washing you do Pete :P but seriously it could be the cable the last inch that protrudes in the mechanism just keep it well lubed ;)

• Like 2

Washed it............................................ AGAIN!

Not much else to do really, sorry...... :(

Took a couple of photo's though, with the car the other way around...lol. Also at the moment I am doing a MPG Test of just purely around local driving, mostly cold starts and trips no more than 4-5 miles, but mostly up to 2 miles in traffic at around and up to 30mph.

I will let you know the results soon. :)

The photo's:

kmUl1Qn.jpg

Bmxhdf6.jpg

ICPXwbC.jpg

6m2IsQJ.jpg

I8jfezU.jpg

The Interior, although not cleaned. (I do have the proper Accord Overmats but I just have these aftermarket ones as protection :D ).

tBEQee9.jpg

CW6dOFH.jpg

And............................................ And!

I decided, as I had not much else to do, to do a comparison of the Baffles in, and then with them removed.

The most I rev'd it to was about 3000rpm. But generally just 'Blips'.

• Administrators

Holy Honkers batman that does sound good without the baffles, not sure how long I could live with it like that though and if you're more inclined to put the inserts back in, I would seal them with some high-temperature gasket stuff to get rid of the frizzle sound which makes it sound like a leaking exhaust. 

Thanks for sharing Bill :)

• Like 1

• Moderators

Cleared the moths out anyway ! they came out in a hurry after the start up with the baffles removed ! :P

Liking it without baffles.......

have you driven it without? does it drone anywhere in the rev range?

I was wondering about removing the silencers completely and putting straight thru pipes on !:rolleyes:

• Like 2

Thanks for all the comments....

Yes, the Moths...lol. :) Dunno what that was...?

Strangely enough it sounds louder in the car, by quite a bit! I can just imagine now what it must have been like flying a Spitfire! (Kidding)....

I have driven it with the Baffs out, and couldn't get them back in fast enough - it just sounds soooooooo different inside the car compared to outside - outside it sounds really sweet! 

And Stu, I am planning on purchasing some different Baffles from China, once funds allow. They have slightly larger apertures so the raspiness should be eliminated. Hopefully. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/272349263435?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT  Also I plan to fit them further out flush with the outer edge of the main pipe. :) 

Pete, I've heard these sound pretty sweet!  http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/251634229730?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT 

Ciao..... :D

• Founding Member
On 13/04/2017 at 6:55 AM, PaulS said:

Just wondering how long these pristine looking cars stay that way?  Whenever I clean my cars it rains shortly afterwards and after the first drive it looks as bad as ever.  And if it does not rain either the local birds have bomb aiming practice or a dust storm arrives followed by high winds and bits of tree.  Jealous!

Just seen my car for the first time since Wednesday last week. What a mess!

Just wanted to show you guys that us Londoners suffer from desert rain as well;)IMG_7662.thumb.JPG.d4f7947e04493c6c37dd3262b7c0c082.JPGIMG_7666.thumb.JPG.d29259a5fecbf4b0f8e4e9e4e43f6320.JPG

• Like 2

• Moderators

Huh, had this specked effect twice last week and noticed tonight its the same again :( AND I am not washing it as advised by a certain Stu as washing it too much means washing the lube off my last inch... so he says :rolleyes:

Off to the Triumph Club meet tonight...in the Honda ! :P:P:D

• Like 2

• Moderators
17 minutes ago, PTR200S said:

Off to the Triumph Club meet tonight...in the Honda ! :P:P:D

That'll fox 'em! ;):lol:

As for :

19 minutes ago, PTR200S said:

washing the lube off my last inch...

............. you need to be careful of that! :o

Sometimes it's good to wash it off and then re-apply but other than that..........

Oooooo-errrrr missus! :o;):D

• Like 4

• Moderators

Todays, well this morning, efforts consist of an oil check along with checking the new filter for any leakage as i changed it from the small filter to the bigger S2000, NSX filter which is also suggested for the Coupe.:D

The washer fluid is in fact just water..put in by previous owner so I drained a good chunk of it and put in my Halfrauds Berry smelly washer fluid. Bought the concentrate version in 5 litre pack when they were buy one get one free for 4.99 ! 

No topping up required for the coolant although was concerned about temp gauge only showng just below half...and the fact i have to turn the heating up to 23C to get heat in the cabin ( no air con on)

PS fluid level fine and looking "rosy" :D

checked tyre pressures, and that's me for today, :lol:

If it wasnt so windy I would wash it again, Stu, :P can't post pics,,,its filthy with desert sand again, aka field crap...

• Like 4

• Moderators

What was the ambient temperature in the cabin before putting the heating on Pete? The way the system works is it measures the temperature in the cabin and keeps it constant so if you were to set it at say 25C and leave it there, through the summer when the sun is on it, you'd find the air-con cooling it down most of the time. In winter when it's cold, it would heat up to 25C then just regulate the temperature with a mix of cold and hot air.

The temperature gauge is probably about right - are you still getting lock-up of the torque converter? If so then that's where the temperature gauge sits normally. If the 'stat goes weak, the engine and auto box ECUs see this and won't let lock-up happen as the engine isn't warm enough. ;):D

• Like 4

• Moderators

Cabin temperature was , erm, cold ! Sorry didn't check but I follow your train of thought. 

I turned the air con off and set the fan control to lowest setting before it goes auto. Can the fan be set on auto without aircon being on ? Pushed all manner of combos but cant get it right...

Its a man thing, don't bother reading the manual just get on with it :D bit like asking directions.....swmbo says stop next person and ask,  you say I know where i am :rolleyes:

Lock up does occur at around 50mph when warm, is that about right? Sometimes feel it shunting in and out occasionally as speed drops slightly, might be when not fully warm, will check that.

• Like 2

• Moderators

Lock-up sounds about right so i'd say the temperature gauge is right "for the car" - they all vary slightly but usually the "twenty to 9" position is the most common.

Fairly sure the fan can be set to auto, if it works how i'm thinking then it will bring the air-con on and off as and when necessary - long time since i played with A/C in an HAC. :o

Sometimes even 22C can feel cold but if your house is at say 20C and you go somewhere that's only 18C fairly quickly, that will feel cold as well - all down to the human form. :rolleyes:

• Like 1

On 2017-4-30 at 0:34 PM, PTR200S said:

Todays, well this morning, efforts consist of an oil check along with checking the new filter for any leakage as i changed it from the small filter to the bigger S2000, NSX filter which is also suggested for the Coupe.:D

The washer fluid is in fact just water..put in by previous owner so I drained a good chunk of it and put in my Halfrauds Berry smelly washer fluid. Bought the concentrate version in 5 litre pack when they were buy one get one free for 4.99 ! 

No topping up required for the coolant although was concerned about temp gauge only showng just below half...and the fact i have to turn the heating up to 23C to get heat in the cabin ( no air con on)

PS fluid level fine and looking "rosy" :D

checked tyre pressures, and that's me for today, :lol:

If it wasnt so windy I would wash it again, Stu, :P can't post pics,,,its filthy with desert sand again, aka field crap...

Hi Pete.

Just thought I would comment on a couple of things you have posted in this thread if I may.... :)

Concerning the Oil Filter, I see you mention fitting the longer Oil Filter. Well, this I did aswell after finding the correct Oil Filter on the Bosch Website. 

The Filter regularly supplied is about 20mm shorter and the Rubber Seal at the top of the Filter about 3mm narrower.

Pictured below is the one that is generally supplied - of course these are Bosch Filters.

HwQT7Fe.jpg

And the correct, longer Filter. (I say correct, but both fit).

HNuL2bU.jpg

The one above is the one I fitted, £3.70 from ECP.

I cover the subject here in case you have not seen it: http://honda6.ipbhost.com/index.php?/topic/2986-genuine-oem-vs-aftermarket-parts-for-your-accord-coupe-thoughts/&do=findComment&comment=15854

---------------------------------------------------------

Now the Washer Liquid.

I noticed too mine was a bit gungy so I extracted what was in the Reservoir using an Oil Extractor and then filled with warm water and extracted again. I repeated this a few times until it was clear.

I then only topped-up with about 2 litres of Prestone Washer Liquid at a Ratio of 10:1, pictured below - this stuff is good!!! And in Summer can be mixed 19:1. So lasts ages! (Although I use it 10:1 year-round). I highly recommend. :)

vZuUbrZ.jpg?1

---------------------------------------------------------------

I had to only top-up the Coolant with about 250ml. when I first got the car to bring it up to the mark on the Reservoir. Hasn't moved since. ;)

---------------------------------------------------------

Now the Heating Control.

Yes, I have found the Honda Heat Control to be very different from all other cars I have had with Climate Control with a Heat Setting.

On the Coupe the Settings seem to be generally about 2-3 Degrees C higher than other cars. Also the Minimum is only 18 Degrees whereas on other cars it has been 16 Degrees. And the Maximum is way higher! I generally have to have the setting on 24-25 Degrees to feel any noticeable Heat on a cool day, which is a lot higher than say on the BMW. Usually 20-22 sufficed....???

My only summation is that because in the States they use Degrees Fahrenheit and got the Conversion wrong... Maybe.

I'll let you all go make a cuppa now - you most probably need it...lol. :D

Ciao.

• Site Subscriber’s
On 30/04/2017 at 4:24 PM, PTR200S said:

Can the fan be set on auto without aircon being on ? Pushed all manner of combos but cant get it right...

Press the auto button then press the AC button to turn aircon off, works for me.

Regarding temperatures, I find that I have to have it set at 24-25 in winter, but then have to turn it down to 20-21 on a sunny summer day... I guess it depends upon the position of the temperature sensor. Mind you a friend of mine was boasting about the number of temp sensors in his Octavia, but he still had to mess with the controls to get it comfortable.

• Like 3

• Moderators
3 hours ago, Mangoman said:

Now the Heating Control.

Yes, I have found the Honda Heat Control to be very different from all other cars I have had with Climate Control with a Heat Setting.

On the Coupe the Settings seem to be generally about 2-3 Degrees C higher than other cars. Also the Minimum is only 18 Degrees whereas on other cars it has been 16 Degrees. And the Maximum is way higher! I generally have to have the setting on 24-25 Degrees to feel any noticeable Heat on a cool day, which is a lot higher than say on the BMW. Usually 20-22 sufficed....???

My only summation is that because in the States they use Degrees Fahrenheit and got the Conversion wrong... Maybe.

Some very good thoughts there Bill!

Agreed that my experience is more from a Rover point of view with the Rover Automatic Climate Control but the guts of it are made by Denso as i suspect the Honda ones are.

Similar minimum and maximum temperatures, after dropping it to 19C, the next button press drops it to "LO", going past 29C changes it to "HI" and the most comfortable is about 25-26C which can easily bring the cooling side on in summer.

In the Volvo, while it is still Electronic Climate Control, the settings are done by rotary switches with no displays, just a couple of buttons that light up and/or flash for a fault.

However, it all works on similar ideas and 22C can bring warmth on a cool day - 25-26C is pretty warm too! Lowest temp is 16C and maximum is again 30C but it seems more "real world" than the system in the Rovers.

All that said, the controller for my central heating is one of these Carlos Fandango electronic jobbies with a built in room temperature sensor. Originally it was in the hall (who lives in the hall??? :o ) so i had it moved into the lounge, sadly onto the back wall of the airing cupboard which houses the hot water tank. This "preheats" the sensor so it actually gives similar results to the system in the Rovers - need to have it set at 25.5C to maintain a steady 21-22C in the house! :rolleyes:

• Like 3

• Site Subscriber’s

Anyway this is what I did to my car today.

It was transported home yesterday. I was driving on the A6 near Duffield when suddenly the nearside front wheel gave way and I screeched to a halt. It turned out that I had managed to lose the upper ball joint nut! So now the car is on my drive on an axle stand while I wait for some parts. Fortunately there wasn't any collateral damage, but we did notice that the tie-rod nut wasn't the original castellated nut so I am going to replace that too. I haven't been happy with the condition of my wheels for a while, they have been corroding under the paint as often older alloys do, and the paint had peeled off in places. So I have been spending a lot of my time this last couple of days polishing one of them up.

Unfortunately I didn't take a before picture, but I have a picture of the offside wheel - the nearside wheel was just as bad, plus it had some deep gouges from being kerbed (by a previous owner I must add)

It is by no means perfect, there are some scratches still visible from over-exuberant removal of the paint, plus there are some recesses where I haven't been able to remove all trace of the white primer (my fingers are raw, they need a couple of days to recover before I start on the next wheel), but I am happy enough for now. My thinking now is that I could lacquer them, but I would expect that since the factory paint failed, my attempt would most likely fail even quicker, so I will leave them bare, and simply use some metal polish on them when I'm cleaning the car and they should retain their looks. Anyone think that this might be a bad idea?

2017-05-01 17.16.06.jpg

2017-05-01 17.15.31.jpg

• Like 5

• Moderators
5 hours ago, Mangoman said:

Concerning the Oil Filter, I see you mention fitting the longer Oil Filter. Well, this I did aswell after finding the correct Oil Filter on the Bosch Website. 

The Filter regularly supplied is about 20mm shorter and the Rubber Seal at the top of the Filter about 3mm narrower.

Hi Bill, Thanks for the info on the filters from Bosch.... all seems a bit odd as you talk about the "longer filter"  Actually the Honda version of S2k /NSX filter is slightly shorter and of a much greater diameter.

The standard Honda filter for cars other than the S2k / NSX is about 68mm diameter, 82mm long whereas the bigger S2k one is 85mm diameter and 80mm long.

This bigger one fits the filter housing on the V6 much better than the standard Honda filter.

I did see your thread as I put up the Honda filter info on there too :D

My worry is your comment on leakage with the Bosch filters........ another reason I stick to the genuine article nowadays.

Thanks for the heating info, looks like mine is ok after all...B)

• Like 3

• Moderators
2 hours ago, Laird_Scooby said:

Agreed that my experience is more from a Rover point of view with the Rover Automatic Climate Control but the guts of it are made by Denso as i suspect the Honda ones are.

Similar minimum and maximum temperatures, after dropping it to 19C, the next button press drops it to "LO", going past 29C changes it to "HI" and the most comfortable is about 25-26C which can easily bring the cooling side on in summer.

Yep, that about sums it up, my Jag works to the correct figures on the climate control so I knew that something seemed not quite right with the Honda but as the others confirmed looks like its ok.:D

• Like 2

• Moderators
On 01/05/2017 at 7:30 PM, davebrads said:

Unfortunately I didn't take a before picture, but I have a picture of the offside wheel - the nearside wheel was just as bad, plus it had some deep gouges from being kerbed (by a previous owner I must add)

It is by no means perfect, there are some scratches still visible from over-exuberant removal of the paint, plus there are some recesses where I haven't been able to remove all trace of the white primer (my fingers are raw, they need a couple of days to recover before I start on the next wheel), but I am happy enough for now. My thinking now is that I could lacquer them, but I would expect that since the factory paint failed, my attempt would most likely fail even quicker, so I will leave them bare, and simply use some metal polish on them when I'm cleaning the car and they should retain their looks. Anyone think that this might be a bad idea?

Sorry to read about the alternative transport home :( but at least no further damage was done :D

• Like 1

• Founding Member
2 hours ago, Laird_Scooby said:

All that said, the controller for my central heating is one of these Carlos Fandango electronic jobbies with a built in room temperature sensor. Originally it was in the hall (who lives in the hall??? :o ) so i had it moved into the lounge, sadly onto the back wall of the airing cupboard which houses the hot water tank. This "preheats" the sensor so it actually gives similar results to the system in the Rovers - need to have it set at 25.5C to maintain a steady 21-22C in the house! :rolleyes:

Hehehehe, this made me titter as it was something that baffled me for many years.

in essence the reason the thermostat is mounted in the hallway or halfway up the stairs is because it's the place subject to most temperature change in any given time frame. Heat rises and generally the temperature will suddenly drop if the front door is opened regularly. Furthermore, the radiator fitted nearest the wall mounted thermostat generally is governed by the wall mounted sensor, as opposed to all the other radiators with their own valve operated thermostats. Hope this clarifies it. It had me baffled for years ?

• Like 2

3 hours ago, davebrads said:

Can the fan be set on auto without aircon being on ? Pushed all manner of combos but cant get it right...

Hi Pete.

Yes, it can. 

Let's start with the CC OFF.

Set The Right Control Knob to AUTO. Press the AUTO Button, bottom/left. Set Desired Temp. Press A/C OFF...

Now it will operate with the Aircon Off, but in Auto Mode.

Capish? :D

• Moderators
5 minutes ago, Mangoman said:

Hi Pete.

Yes, it can. 

Let's start with the CC OFF.

Set The Right Control Knob to AUTO. Press the AUTO Button, bottom/left. Set Desired Temp. Press A/A OFF...

Now it will operate with the Aircon Off, but in Auto Mode.

Capish?

Star Man !

will be doing that tomorrow, collapsed in a chair at moment.(long day, no Bank Hols for the wicked:blink:).. talking to you guys !

Thanks Bill, once again. 

• Like 3