Subscriptions & Donations ×

Accord Coupe Electric Window Issue *REGULATOR"

AhsyV6

• Founding Member

Still haven't attempted installing the regulator but just wanted to share what happened with the U.S. supplier. I sent them an email simply enquiring if they supplied regulators for right hand side vehicles and explained my issue and asked how much this would cost and if so could they arrange this for me. I even started the email expressing how impressed I was with the 6 day delivery.

Their response was apologetic and they said they only supplied for lefties. They then went on to say they will provide me with a full refund within 2 days and not to inconvenience myself by sending back the item and to either keep it or dispose of it.....how bizarre!!!

I got my refund in 2 days.

what else can I say except that I well appreciated the gesture. 

• Like 2

• Administrators

Couldn't agree more Rich, I was working on a 5 year old CRV (Swindon effort) and I was horrified at the state of the rubbers, anti-roll-bar bushes and shock absorbers bump stops and gaiters all need replacing and the CRV's built in the USA and Japan don't suffer with this problem. The ones on our coupes are 15+ years old are still perfectly serviceable.^_^

• Like 2

• Founding Member

Agreed chaps, customer service "State Side" is another world to here in UK.  Then again my local newsagent has a 2005 Lexus and he had a recall notice on the steering rack and a caliper.  Lexus collected his car and left a brand new Lexus courtesy car.  They replaced the rack and caliper, cleaned and waxed the car and returned it with a full tank of petrol and some flowers for his wife for the inconvenience!!  Oh and he didn't spend a penny.  That's pretty unbeatable to me.  ^_^

• Like 2

• Administrators
20 minutes ago, GeoffPurpleHaze said:

Agreed chaps, customer service "State Side" is another world to here in UK.  Then again my local newsagent has a 2005 Lexus and he had a recall notice on the steering rack and a caliper.  Lexus collected his car and left a brand new Lexus courtesy car.  They replaced the rack and caliper, cleaned and waxed the car and returned it with a full tank of petrol and some flowers for his wife for the inconvenience!!  Oh and he didn't spend a penny.  That's pretty unbeatable to me.  ^_^

Good point Geoff, but one thing you have to remember how many unhappy Lexus owners had to pay for these problems to be fixed before they had to issue a safety recall on these parts which to be fare to Honda still last allot longer :huh: Lexus is known for top notch customer service which comes at a price and you really do get a better deal just buying a Toyota ;)

• Like 2

On 05/02/2016 at 8:20 AM, AhsyV6 said:

Still haven't attempted installing the regulator but just wanted to share what happened with the U.S. supplier. I sent them an email simply enquiring if they supplied regulators for right hand side vehicles and explained my issue and asked how much this would cost and if so could they arrange this for me. I even started the email expressing how impressed I was with the 6 day delivery.

Their response was apologetic and they said they only supplied for lefties. They then went on to say they will provide me with a full refund within 2 days and not to inconvenience myself by sending back the item and to either keep it or dispose of it.....how bizarre!!!

I got my refund in 2 days.

what else can I say except that I well appreciated the gesture. 

What a result.  Maybe we could all try the same trick! 

We had a thread here a while ago about making  the passenger window operate with the one-touch opening system.  Does the new LHS regulator get you a step closer to this?

• Like 1

On 19/01/2016 at 7:38 AM, AhsyV6 said:

Thanks Stu.

The update now is that I have taken the regulator out and the motor was not attached to the mechanism. It looked like the the spring and cog (one side looks like winds the mechanism with the spring attached to the other side of it) had come/broken off and was lying there. The cog teeth are slightly worn and slightly bent but I think I can still get it to fit in to the mechanism with a bit of filing
I wanted to also know if the mechanism is repairable and can I buy the cog separately?

I had exactly the same issue with my drivers side regulator.  From memory, it's not  cog in the sense that it turns and meshes with anything.  Instead it locats in a hole shaped to fit all the teeth and it joins the two main arms together in the shape of the cross. 

It is cast from a soft alloy.  I reassembled mine, then hammered it all around with a ball pein hamer to deform it into a tight fit.  I can't remember what I did with the spring that coils around it. I mean, I couldn't work out which position the spring was meant to be tensioned.  I may have concluded that it should tensioned as the window lowered, so the stored energy helped te motor lift the window upwards. 

Anyway, afterwards, it all worked perfectly again.  And the speed of the window was very good in both directions. So, it can be repaired.  If anybody has a broken regulator, don't throw it away - it might be repairable. 

I think I did find somebody selling the worn "cog" in the US, but they were not prepared to ship it to the UK. 

• Like 2

• Administrators
12 minutes ago, welland99 said:

What a result.  Maybe we could all try the same trick! 

We had a thread here a while ago about making  the passenger window operate with the one-touch opening system.  Does the new LHS regulator get you a step closer to this?

Thanks for getting us back on topic m8y and yes I did think of mentioning that topic but reviewing the wiring diagram you would be much better with fitting a after market kit designed to plug an play ;)

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, welland99 said:

I think I did find somebody selling the worn "cog" in the US, but they were not prepared to ship it to the UK. 

Found it:  http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Honda-Accord-2dr-coupe-96-2002-Left-or-Right-Window-Regulator-pin-/121166366299?ssPageName=ADME%3AB%3AWNARL%3AGB%3A1123&nma=true&si=q7v5CrqwLeubI4W2AOuVLyC1c2w%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

I wonder if they would be tempted to ship a bulk purchase?  Or does anybody else have an idea about how to get one of these?

They're still listing this item:

for Acura:  http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Acura-2-door-coupe-96-02-Left-or-Right-Window-Regulator-pin-/121021144506?hash=item1c2d6c1dba:m:mqSUy9JmtLOC-mDMlovauOw

For Civic: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Honda-Civic-2dr-coupe-1996-2002-Left-or-Right-Window-Regulator-pin-/121338132464?hash=item1c4050f7f0:m:mqSUy9JmtLOC-mDMlovauOw

And for toyata Camry (looks similar):  http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TOYOTA-CAMRY1997-1999-REAR-LEFT-OR-RIGHT-HEAVY-DUTY-WINDOW-REGULATOR-PIN-/111597236384?hash=item19fbb6b0a0:g:ONUAAOSwPhdU3CUK

The photo in the toyota part show a chewed-up old pin, just like mine looked prior to repair. 

(I'll stop calling it a "cog" now - it's a regulator PIN! - I only called it a cog because AhshV6 did! :unsure:)

• Like 1

• Administrators
45 minutes ago, welland99 said:

Great link(s) m8y :D The regulator on Project Black needs attention and this could be a cheaper fix ;)

• Like 3

• Founding Member

Just a quick update.....finally installed the regulator and very happy with its operation. Pretty smooth and quick in comparison to the passenger side and the previous drivers side. I decided on not going to the trouble of retaining the "one touch" but the odd thing is that it still works in part in that it goes down for 4"-5" and then stops which works for me.....very bizzare. I can now open the window in full with 3 shots of "one touch" I'm sure there's an electrical/resistance reason why this happens which is way over my head. 

I also decided to apply some patches of sound deadening material on the inside of the door skin and under the door panel. Got to say what a difference it makes when closing the door now and it sounds a lot more solid now with  a less hollow sound. 

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
On 09/02/2016 at 11:15 PM, welland99 said:

My window regulator pin has broken again, and I don't think it can be repaired again (already repaired it about 3 times in recent years). So, I'm thinking of a more permanent repair with a new pin.  

I've been on to the supplier in US and been quoted  $30 for one ($22 for the item + $8 for postage). I've asked if there might be a discount for a bigger order for the club, or if the shipping rate would sustain a bigger order - still waiting for a reply.  

In the meantime,  I thought it worthwhile to begin canvassing for interest.  Is anybody else interested in ordering one or two of these?

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

Thanks mate, please forget my request. I've managed to find a supplier with a 4 pin connector in the states, and I've placed an order.
Thanks very much for getting back to me though.
If it arrives and it's the wrong one, I'll contact you again. Sorry to mess you around.

• Like 2