Subscriptions & Donations ×

Dash & Interior Lights 1998 1999 2000 2001 CG Accord Coupe

hughezee

• Moderators

I am going to get one of these (or two!) and give them a try... assuming I can't get a replacement locally.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2x-White-T3-Neo-Wedge-1-SMD-LED-Bulbs-Cluster-Instrument-Dash-Control-Lights-12V-/152204726549?hash=item23701bd115:g:gygAAOSwYIxYA2t3

Edit; due touchdown tomorrow, tuesday

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderators
On 23/03/2017 at 1:03 PM, Mangoman said:

Is the Hazard Switch supposed to be lit?

Yes, so you can find it in the dark if you breakdown. At one time it was an MoT failure if it wasn't lit, now they seem to let it go so maybe they've changed the law again! :rolleyes:

• 10 months later...
  • Administrators

Would make sense if it was but I haven't come across one pre-2001 that has a bulb in the switch, but since it wasn't available in the states they didn't go all out to illuminate all the switch(s) until 2000-2002 I remember sourcing an illuminated switch for another member a while ago.

• Like 1

• Moderators

I don't think i've ever seen an illuminated headlamp range control which is incredibly stupid in my eyes. Many people don't even know about the existence of them though or what they're for which is even worse! :o

Maybe if they were illuminated more people would know about them though......... ;):D

• Like 2

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Lennie Legend said:

Pretty sure it isn’t illuminated, don’t think it was in my previous 1999 V6.  Strange really.  What’s strange too is that my KB1 Legend doesn’t have a headlight level switch?  🤔

Have you got hid lamps? If so its probably got self leveling light units and so doesn't have a manual switch.

Not sure if led factory also have them too? Never had a car new enough to know 😄

• Like 1

• The title was changed to Dash & Interior Lights 1998 1999 2000 2001 CG Accord Coupe
  • The topic was pinned
  • 4 weeks later...
  • Moderators

Often as bulbs get older Ahsy, the contacts oxidise. Once the contacts get a bit warm in use, the oxidisation goes high resistance and stops current flow. Usually pulling the bulbs out and refitting them a couple of times is enough movement to clean the contacts or you could just renew the bulbs. ;):D

• Like 3

• Administrators

Sorry to hear of your niggle mate, could be a connection issue as Dave suggested, I would start with re-seating the plugs on the cluster to see if it goes away. Should nothing change, it could be the drivers multiplexer unit is failing, some topics linked below...

• Like 3

• Founding Member

I have removed the cluster and am having difficulty twisting open the bulbs on the back panel circled in red. I don’t want to force it just in case I’m doing something wrong. Any suggestions?

E495C89E-6C1B-49B6-859E-5EEA32D02922.jpeg.71bf666e01c065854b5740df79fcd382.jpeg

I take it the 4 white ones across the middle are for the illumination of the dials? 
The black one on the left has 2 wires that are connected to it which looks like it feeds the 2 bulbs at the top of the cluster(shown below which aren’t working)?

452B35CF-4A9F-4DB4-BBE7-7BE935787516.jpeg.0f4e3e4d386d1f991da2feabc3d9a891.jpeg

Do I need to remove the rear white cover to get to the bulb for the “low fuel” light?

Last question, mainly aimed at Stu, is the perplex cover on the front of the dials Glued as well as screwed? I remember my last coupe was both when I replaced the dials but not quite sure if all the Accord CG2s are? Some of the USA models shows them as just screwed. 

• Like 2

• Founding Member

I managed to get the large bulbs holders off by gently twisting with a set of pliers. Looks like 3 out of 4 are a smokey dark colour so suggesting they’re blown. This is going to be an expensive exercise. 

Another question.....the sunroof switch is divided in to 3 parts.....the middle button and the bottom button is illuminated  however the top button which is the close position with a picture of a car coloured in white is not illuminated. Does anyone know if this top button should be illuminated? There are 2 bulbs inside the switch which align with the middle and bottom buttons which suggests that maybe the top button is not illuminated. 

• Like 2

• Administrators
12 hours ago, AhsyV6 said:

Last question, mainly aimed at Stu, is the perplex cover on the front of the dials Glued as well as screwed?

The cluster clear cover is held on a couple of smallish screws and a strip of adhesive on the CG2 , CG4 can be either.

10 hours ago, AhsyV6 said:

Another question.....the sunroof switch is divided in to 3 parts.....the middle button and the bottom button is illuminated  however the top button which is the close position with a picture of a car coloured in white is not illuminated. Does anyone know if this top button should be illuminated? There are 2 bulbs inside the switch which align with the middle and bottom buttons which suggests that maybe the top button is not illuminated

All three parts of the button are illuminated by two bulbs buddy, so its likely one of the bulbs has blown.

• Like 3

• Founding Member

Thanks Stu. The rear of my panel looks different to the rear panel shown in the Manual picture....can you confirm if the 5 bulbs circled in red are “  37102SA5003 SOCKET ASSY., BULB (14V 3.4W) (NS) (BASE:BLACK)    £6.73”? 

AKA T10 bulbs? 

• Like 2

• Administrators
1 hour ago, AhsyV6 said:

can you confirm if the 5 bulbs circled in red are “  37102SA5003 SOCKET ASSY., BULB (14V 3.4W) (NS) (BASE:BLACK)    £6.73”? 

Yep all five are a low wattage T10, 501 type bulb, so you can get them for a lot less than Honda prices.

• Like 2

• Moderators

Little tip Ahsy when you're hunting for bulbs, look for 12V 3W as the 14V 3.4W are the USA way of specifying the same thing. If you do 14/12 x 3 = 3.5W which is close enough to say the bulbs are the same.

It's like they specify 25W brake light bulbs, same applies, 14/12 x 21 = 24.5W, same bulbs but different output for the higher voltage.

I'm not sure if the multiplexer on yours can cope with LED bulbs, Stu can confirm that but if you find some, anything over about 100Lm should give you enough brightness. ;):D

• Like 3

• Founding Member
3 hours ago, Laird_Scooby said:

I'm not sure if the multiplexer on yours can cope with LED bulbs, Stu can confirm that but if you find some, anything over about 100Lm should give you enough brightness. ;):D

Funnily enough I ordered the following yesterday: 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B07V6HS2Z1?ref=ppx_pt2_mob_b_prod_image

Only thing is they could take until August to arrive🥴

As always thanks for your advice. 

• Like 2
  • Clap Hands 1

• Founding Member
On 5/14/2020 at 3:14 PM, Laird_Scooby said:

Little tip Ahsy when you're hunting for bulbs, look for 12V 3W as the 14V 3.4W are the USA way of specifying the same thing

I take it that a 5w 501 would be much too high and a little dangerous? 

• Like 1
  • Clap Hands 1

• Moderators

Yes - you'll be doing Gremlin impressions "AAAAAAaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrgggggggghhhhhhhhhhh!!!!! Bright lights!" :P

It could also potentially melt the instrument cluster and would also burn out quicker. That's without taking into account any current problems with the dimmer and/or multiplexer.

• Founding Member
4 minutes ago, Laird_Scooby said:

Yes - you'll be doing Gremlin impressions "AAAAAAaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrgggggggghhhhhhhhhhh!!!!! Bright lights!" :P

It could also potentially melt the instrument cluster and would also burn out quicker. That's without taking into account any current problems with the dimmer and/or multiplexer.

Thanks for clarifying.....sometimes I need to ask these dumb questions. 

• Like 1