Subscriptions & Donations ×

Accord Coupe Instrument Cluster Bulbs

Mazda Man

• Founding Member

Morning all.  I thought I would pop to the local Shell garage last night to top up with some V-Power and I noticed that there are a probably three bulbs not working when the lights are on for the fuel guage/temp guage and the clock.  I found a great pic of the rear of the instrument cluster in order to be able to identify which bulbs I need:

It looks like the "temperature/gas" bulbs are the ones I need and the bulbs I need for the fuel guage/temp guage are number 7:

These are called:  78180-S84-A03 SOCKET ASSY., BULB (14V 3.78W)

For the clock, this is called:  35505-S84-N01 BULB, NEO WEDGE (T3) (BORG INDAK) (14V 50MA)

There is a great thread on here regarding how to remove the instrument cluster and change the bulbs, I removed the cluster a few times on my old coupe and even for me, it was quite straightforward. http://honda6.ipbhost.com/index.php?/topic/1539-98-02-accord-coupe-remove-instrument-cluster-blown-bulb/

I think it would pay to get a small stash of these bulbs, can any members advise where these bulbs can be sourced from?  They are plentiful on a number of American sites.  I was thinking eBay first, then Amazon and then perhaps approaching some breaker yards, especially in your neck of the woods Dave?  ;)

• Founding Member

Ahhhh, gotcha.  There is a Maplins not far away, might pop in and have a little look.  ;)  The bulbs - if they have any -  have to be the same specs, presumably and they should just pop into the plastic socket/base?

Temp/Fuel:  BULB (14V 3.78W)

Clock:  BULB (14V 50MA)

• Founding Member

I brought some a wile back for my heated seat switch.

You just need to cut the 2 wires to length when fitted into the plastic lamp holder.

If you go to the spairs part of maplins they should find some to fit.

There not always on display and the guy looked in his book and found some.

• Founding Member

Good call Stu, think you're right. There's a Honda dealer not far from where I work, might give them a call in morning.

UPDATE **I've just emailed Brindley Honda, West Bromwich the two part numbers, they're usually quick so I should get a call tomorrow.  As Stu and Ritchie say, saves a load of hassle messing around with filaments etc, they'll be the right voltage/wattage and they should just twist straight in too.

• Founding Member

They should do the price of them!!  The little clock bulb was around £3.50...that's about £1.50 per milimetre!  :o  The 2x cluster bulbs were about the same although I suppose they are crucial and plus they're on a lot, especially in the winter.  I haven't forgot how to fit them, hopefully, there won't be half a tree behind the instrument cluster like there was in Bluey.  :D

They're much cheaper on ebay.  From the top of my head, I recall seeing them at around £5 for 100 bulbs.  I could do with some for my centre console cluster, which has around 3 different sizes. 

Anybody interested in sharing a bulk purchase if I were to take the plunge?

• Moderators

The ultimate answer is fit LEDs Geoff. There's some exciting stuff going on at the moment with both CREE (not sure what CREE stands for but is incredibly powerful - i have a head-torch with a CREE LED in it that is nearly as powerful as full beam on the car!) and COB (Chip On Board) technologies giving much brighter output from the same size package and more choice of colours too.

Some time back i did a write up on the Rover forum about colour coding switches, the climate pack etc using LEDs. Although most of the switches etc will be "800-specific" the instrument pack is shared with early Legends and the principles will apply to whatever vehicle you are upgrading to LEDs. Then go hunting on fleabay or Amazon! Personally i avoid Maplins as they tend to be extremely expensive although you can generally get things "off the shelf" rather than having to wait for Ki Wu Chao * to stuff a handful of LEDs into a Jiffy bag somewhere in provincial China and scurry on her bound feet to the Chinapost post office and send you your LEDs.

Meanwhile here's a link to the write up i did, hopefully it's some use!

http://rover800.info/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=8654&p=116082&hilit=colour+coding+climate+pack#p116082

Currently doing the Jeep - total nightmare as the handbook (and indeed the Haynes Book of Fiction) quotes the USA bulb reference numbers, many of which refer to the same bulb and most of which aren't available here but have a very close UK equivalent!

Willl be doing my coupe soon but that will be virtually the same as the write up, the Jeep is fairly simple now i'm into it although needed the entire dash front cover removing to get the instrument pod out!

* character of Ki Wu Chao shamelessly borrowed from a book i read a bit of when i was a kid. It was a book, it was in the bathroom, i read it..........

• Founding Member

Popped to Brindley Honda earlier and collected the three bulbs and arrived home £16.11 lighter!  :o   I've changed the cluster bulbs before on my old coupe, pffff, 'tis a 10 minute job including the coffee!  Well the clock bulb is easy enough and that went in fine.  Right, on to the fuel/temp guage bulbs.  I lowered the steering wheel, removed the top two screws, removed the binacle then removed the four screws securing the cluster.  It should then just pull forward slightly, tilt it down then bob's your uncle, remove the three connectors and remove the whole unit.  Change the two bulbs and re-fit.  Mission Accomplished.

Ohhhhhh no.  :rolleyes: No matter how much I wiggled and tried the left hand side of the cluster would not move forward enough to enable me to tilt it!  20 minutes later I gave up.  I shone a torch in and there appears to be a loads of wires (in tape) above the cluster that the left hand side of the cluster is fouling on and I certainly don't want to force it out and potentially damage any wiring. 

Perhaps Stu can fit this in during the Honda6 meet in October?

E331184E-D9F3-49AE-816D-7F9C8C462E2C_zps

710AE3D3-6FB8-49AE-B4F8-DBC5B5834063_zps

***UPDATE***  Gave the 4th Emergency Service a call (aka Stu) and apparently there are extra wires attached to the connectors on the V6 for the fuel tank etc.  The wiring loom is covered in a grey protective foam which is catching on the connector.  Even Stu says they're tricky to remove!  :huh:   The trick apparently is to get your finger/screwdriver in and disconnect the left hand connector above the rev counter.  The cluster will (should...) then pop out with ease.  Once the bulbs are fitted Stu recommends removing the foam protection on the loom and covering in Gorilla tape/insulation tape to stop the connector being obstructed in future.  Getting the connector back in the hole (ooo errr Dave) is a smidge tricky and I don't want to shear/damage any wires.

In any event, I have the two bulbs and I'll have another go when I'm next at Honda HQ either at the Honda6 Birthday Bash or before.

On my old 2.0ES coupe, the cluster came out dead easy, presumably due to less wires.

• Moderators

Sounds easy to me Geoff! :lol:  Just done the Jeep on a trial basis (got some better LED bulbs coming from China via ebay) and the approximate method (with the benefit of hindsight) is this :

Remove steering column cowl

Remove stereo

Remove stereo cage

Remove the half-dozen or so screws from the dash finisher panel (PVC burr walnut)

Pull dash panel at the bottom to release clips

Pull top of dash panel to clear top of dashand wiggle the panel out (much easier said than done!)

Through the above steps, be prepared to raise/lower the steering column/wheel to facilitate movement of the dash panel

Now remove the 4 screws holding the instruments in.

Pull the instruments forward and down to access the instrument bulbs

Replace as necessary and check for operation before refitting

Remove the screw(s) from the various switch and heater control panels to release and if necessary, disengage the retaining tongue opposite the screws.

Pull the various panels out to access the illumination bulbs

Twist the holdeers counter-clockwise to release

Remove the bulb and replace as necessary

Then "Haynes it" to refit!

No wonder i had so many bulbs out on the dash!!! This doesn't cover the ashtray, transfer box or main gearshift illumination bulbs either! Or the footwell bulbs!

By the way, are all your bulbs that you have to replace the same as in the pic you've posted? If so, this should save you some money next time :

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1x-Pearl-Bulb-P286T8W-12V-2W-Bx8-3D-2-00-White-Vehicle-Maintenance-Lighting-DIY-/331585328293?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item4d340694a5

You can also get them in LED version to change the colour too, wish i'd known before you went to the main stealer what sort of bulbs you had, could have saved you a good few quid!

• Founding Member

Thanks for the link Dave, yes they're cheap and probably made in a Chinese sweatshop somewhere by a 10 year old girl, they're only 2W.  The OEM bulbs are 3.78W and for the sake of a couple of £'s, I'd rather have the correct wattage and know that they'll fit properly as I don't want to be removing the cluster every five minutes because a bulb isn't seated properly.  What a palaver.....

• Moderators

Had another look at those blubs of yours Geoff and on second glance it looks like they are different to what i first thought. Would i be right in saying the glass envelope is about 10mm in diameter and not 5mm?

For UK use, they will almost certainly be rated at 3W (3W @12V = 3.75W@14V roughly) and will be the larger ones of the two varieties. If they are 10mm diameter, ignoer the first link and i'll try to find the correct ones for you.

• Like 1

• Founding Member

I'll take better pics of the bulbs tomorrow Dave. On another note, it's 11.38pm and I've just got home having picked the wife and her friend up from the NEC after seeing Neil Diamond. What's the first thing I do?

1). Put kettle on?

2). Go to bed exhausted?

3). Go to Haze to check that the clock bulb works?

Yep. No 3.

• Moderators

I'm having trouble finding these bulbs with an integral holder Geoff. Once upon a time they were commonplace. However, i think the market trend towards using coloured bulbs and/or LED bulbs has driven them out of the market, except in limited numbers for main dealers to sell as OE parts.

But..........................there is a solution!!!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Komingo-Instrument-Sockets-Wireless-Miniature/dp/B00Q5Y8WH8/ref=sr_1_cc_8?s=aps&ie=UTF8&qid=1437337608&sr=1-8-catcorr&keywords=501+bulb+holder

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B009ZJUI90?keywords=10%20x%20501&qid=1437337813&ref_=sr_1_1&sr=8-1

Not only does that give you the option to use standard 501 type bulbs (which is what you  have hard-wired into the holder you bought from Honda) but gives you the choice of loads of different LED (Fit & Forget!) bulbs in any colour you like - within reason of course.

Maybe something to think about next time you need to change some bulbs?

• Like 1

• Administrators

Some Honda bulbs are held on by twisting the wire in to a notch on the holder (not all) I have replaced plenty over the years just with the filaments but they are never as good as the ones supplied from Honda :rolleyes: either not a bright enough or fail after 1-2 years ;)

post-1-0-49440100-1437342116_thumb.jpg

post-1-0-64191300-1437342151_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

• Moderators

Got those in my Rovers as well Stu. Found the LED versions recently online as well but i'ev already converted the ones in the Sterling to one red, two blue and three green high birghness versions. If i'm honest, they are a little too bright at night so i need to reduce the power to them when the lights are on.

It's a tricky conversion to do them individually as i had to do originally as the right brightness versions weren't available with the same current/voltage requirements so i had to solder individual current limiting resistors onto the back of each holder. Not a job for the morning after a session on the beer!

Since the high brightness ones became available with the same (or close enough to not worry) current and voltage characteristics, i've been able to upgrade and simply put one resistor in the supply line. Much easier! I now have a very colourful, bright, auto box shift quadrant! Need to do the coupe soon as well as a couple of the original bulbs have gone.

Of course the standard bulbs are the wire-ended "Lilliput" or "Grain of Wheat" model railway bulbs

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_odkw=engine+stop+smoke&_osacat=0&_from=R40&_trksid=p2045573.m570.l1311.R4.TR5.TRC2.A0.H1.Xgrain+of+whea.TRS0&_nkw=grain+of+wheat+12v+bulbs&_sacat=0

and are available with different current (and hence wattage/brightness ratings) but LEDs last longer - indefinitely really as for all practical purposes you're never going to have a bulb in your car on for 50,000 hours or more which is what their minimum expected life is. That would equate to something like 2,000,000 miles with the lights on!

• Founding Member

I'm having trouble finding these bulbs with an integral holder Geoff. Once upon a time they were commonplace. However, i think the market trend towards using coloured bulbs and/or LED bulbs has driven them out of the market, except in limited numbers for main dealers to sell as OE parts.

But..........................there is a solution!!!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Komingo-Instrument-Sockets-Wireless-Miniature/dp/B00Q5Y8WH8/ref=sr_1_cc_8?s=aps&ie=UTF8&qid=1437337608&sr=1-8-catcorr&keywords=501+bulb+holder

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B009ZJUI90?keywords=10%20x%20501&qid=1437337813&ref_=sr_1_1&sr=8-1

Not only does that give you the option to use standard 501 type bulbs (which is what you  have hard-wired into the holder you bought from Honda) but gives you the choice of loads of different LED (Fit & Forget!) bulbs in any colour you like - within reason of course.

Maybe something to think about next time you need to change some bulbs?

Blimey, 10 bulbs for £1.09 and free delivery!!  :o   Thanks for the links Dave, think I will get a pack or 10 and the holders too.  Went to Banbury and back today (over 100 miles) in Haze and she didn't miss a beat.  It was quite sunny, however, when I went under a motorway bridge I had a quick look at the clock bulb and yep, it's working fine.  :D

• Moderators

You're welcome Geoff. While it's nice to have a folder full of Honda receipts for parts etc, i feel it gets a bit silly when it's bulbs, wiper blades etc as they are universal parts (normally!) so  we all know they will wear out/blow/expire at some point.

Glad to hear the clock bulb is still working, at least the next bulb won't cost you an arm and a leg! ;):) Maybe go for a purple LED bulb even!

• Founding Member

I'd say that the Honda bulbs lasted 15 years so repalcing them with the same is a wise investment, cheap bulbs are cheap for a reason and blow a lot easier.

Besides a tenner for 3 bulbs is nothing compared to the cost of putting fuel in the bloody things  ;)