Subscriptions & Donations ×

Centre Dash Removal/ Climate Control/ New Radio Accord Coupe

hughezee

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
  • Administrators

Good question, if your removing the original Honda or Bose unit it will be mounted with two small bolts each side of it, so the unit and cannot simply be pulled out of the cradle, even the cheap aftermarket head unit pictured was installed the same way by the previous owner. Check out items 4, 6, 5 illustrated below, these basically join together as a cradle if that makes sense.

post-1-0-68786700-1423391203_thumb.jpg

I've seen a few coupes with aftermarket heads fitted in radio cages and I assume this is what’s been done on yours at some point ;)

post-1-0-77519800-1423391844_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

• Founding Member

I've had the centre console out half a dozen times at least, don't forget to remove the two screws underneath first (by ashtray) and it goes without saying, don't force anything or get a screwdriver in to lever anything, it should all clip out nice and fit back snuggly.  Personally, I would leave the Bose unit if it's still there, far superior to any £29.99 rubbish from Halfords and the unit is made for the car and keeps the originality too.

Thanks guys.

As its just a radio cassette player I'm guessing mine still has the original in it and I dont have to many cassettes these days.

Would I be able to fit a CD changer to it instead of changing the head unit or would that be more expensive than just getting a new head unit?

• Administrators

Your welcome buddy, its likely to be cheaper installing a more modern head unit as from your pic's it looks like you don't have the BOSE radio  ;) Also just for reference & others reading this post if you do have a BOSE system, any genuine Honda 98-02 accord UK-USA CD changer will work or an Alpine compatible unit.

Also double check any ISO adaptors you purchase and make sure the display back light (orange) wire is disconnected from the loom as you could damage your interior & dash lighting and it's £200+ to fix it :o it shouldn't be connected in a good ISO anyway.

Photo0127.jpg

Wires in the loom that could but shouldn't be connected to the orange wire ;)

Photo0126.jpgPhoto0128.jpg

• Like 1

I got a 2nd hand Honda 6CD changer from eBay for £14, it's a civic unit so it took some bracket modifications but it was basically plug and play with the standard Honda Clarion head unit.

Was the wiring all ready there.

I'm guessing the CD changer goes in the boot somewhere.

• 1 month later...

Your welcome buddy, its likely to be cheaper installing a more modern head unit as from your pic's it looks like you don't have the BOSE radio  ;) Also just for reference & others reading this post if you do have a BOSE system, any genuine Honda 98-02 accord UK-USA CD changer will work or an Alpine compatible unit.

Also double check any ISO adaptors you purchase and make sure the display back light  wire is disconnected from the loom as you could damage your interior & dash lighting and it's £200+ to fix it :oit shouldn't be connected in a good ISO anyway.

Stu I'm hoping to have a look at fitting another head unit tomorrow, do you have a wiring diagram I could have a look at.

Cheers

• 2 weeks later...
  • Administrators

Glad you got it working ;) just hoping you haven’t damaged the multiplexer unit which controls the illumination? Did you manage to get ISO or did you hard wire it in like we chatted via P.M either way make sure the orange wire from the radio loom to the red an black wire on the car loom is disconnected ^_^

• Like 1

• Founding Member

Yes hard wired it Stu, Just red, yellow and black from the head unit apart from speaker wires.

What the feck is the multiplexer unit.

I'm no expert Shaun, I had a recall when I had Bluey (2.0ES coupe) and had to take it to a Honda dealer for a new multiplexer.  I think it's a device that operates/manages all of the dashboard lighting.

• Like 2

I'm no expert Shaun, I had a recall when I had Bluey (2.0ES coupe) and had to take it to a Honda dealer for a new multiplexer.  I think it's a device that operates/manages all of the dashboard lighting.

Everything else works fine Geoff, It's just the clock and A/C display that dont light up. All the switches on the centre dash light up.

• Like 1