Subscriptions & Donations ×

2006 SHAWD Legend Alarm issue

Gazz

After replacing the battery with the +Ve terminal apparently fully tightend and miles of driving later the arlarm suddenly decides to sound on unlocking the doors with the remote. I found that the +ve terminal was loose due to the post being slightly under sized which I have packed with some lead to ensure a firm connection. The fault is still there various efforts at unlock relock key lock in door ignition on it would silence but start sounding again. Even with the engine running!

I have removed the siren connector for now. 

Does anyone have any idea what this may be or how to diagnos it and how to fix it?

• Sad 3

• Founding Member

I wonder if there is any corrosion on the terminals of the remote receiver such that the signal to unlock is received and is sent to the unlock mechanism and the immobiliser but not the siren side of the anti theft system.  Or perhaps the receiver itself has become faulty... if the latter, pulling the terminal (or providing a steady 12v supply) depending on whether or not it needs the presense  or absense of 12v to sound the siren should also work

• Like 3

• Administrators

Sorry to hear of your troubles, what paul has suggested is spot on, it could be a sensor? Instead of chucking parts at it maybe getting an auto electrician to trace the fault they even might be able to see what the system is saying regards open circuit on a key component?

• Like 2

• Site Subscriber’s

I had a similar issue but hadn't touched or replaced anything on the car. The only thing I may have done was to hit a random combination of keyfob button presses, due to me having my hands and arms full trying to carry too much.

My issue stopped the same day though and has not reoccurred since. 

Hope you sort your issue quickly and cheaply

• Like 2

Hi everyone thanks for your thoughts. I'm not sure where any of the sensors are nor how I would access them. Having driven with the siren disconnected the for a while (my simple fix) the immobiliser has now kicked in and the dash lights up but no ignition. 

Can anyone recommend an auto electrician that would know the Legend wiring?

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...
  • Founding Member

I've had the same happen tonight, drove to my friends house fine, came out 5 min later to drive to the Pub (I was driving) and the siren was constantly going of while driving.

After a what felt like a long drive home where the times between alarms would vary, I got home, checked all the doors and boot were close properly and locked the car, no more alarm for at least 15 min.

As soon as I unlock the car the alarm goes off for a minute or so, then stops. By this point I have the bonnet up as well and the alarm has stopped, which I found odd as I thought it would carry on with the bonnet open.

I've disconnected the battery now and I'll look at it in the morning, good job I have 10 days of warranty left, any advice on how to disconnect the siren @hughezee?

• Sad 2

• Administrators

Sounds like the batteries need replacing in the siren unit, that's assuming it shares a similar system with other Hondas of the same vintage. The only snag is the replacement batteries are difficult to get hold of these days. As it is a relatively cheap fix if you can find the replacement battery(s) especially if you're handy with a soldering iron. Most of the time I just remove the siren unit with no real consequence as the immobilizer system will still function.🖐️

• Like 2

• Founding Member

It's back at the dealers for a few days for them to check over the Alarm (which was fine this morning after reconnecting the battery 🙄) and check the steering rack to see if I'm paranoid or there is a problem.

IT's £275 to extend the RAC warranty for another year, I think that it might be a wise investment.

• Like 4

• Founding Member

Apparently I'm paranoid with regards to the steering rack😁

The alarm hasn't misbehaved again, they checked the catches on the car to see if one wasn't registering as closed, no residual codes were stored so it seems like it was just having a bit of a moment, I've put a new battery in the main key as well.

So now I wait till it decides to throw a hissy fit again, ahh well I'll keep a set of earplugs in the car.

• Like 2

• Founding Member

They are getting paid by the warranty company to fix it, not me and they will be doing the MOT later in the year as well.

I think after the over assisted Lexus and Volvo steering it just feels a little heavy at low speeds, once moving it weights up nicely and the LKAS is working as it should so I think it's more me worrying rather than an actual fault.

Newman and Reidy have been around for years with a good reputation locally, all they guys have worked there for years which I think is a good sign at any Dealer.

• Like 3

• Moderators

If you have good relations with that dealer and they have a good reputation then that's encouraging, novel in this day and age too finding a good garage !!!

I have had that feeling sometimes, re steering,  jumping into different cars !!!  " Why does this feel odd " !!!!

Electric assisted steering is a real oddball,  the two Jazz we run, with two years between them , one is light steering (04plate ) whereas the 06 plate is much heavier/ stiffer...both check out fine. I recall my S2000 was strange when I first got it, another electric rack as it happens,,,,,,very much acquired taste, much prefer the hydraulic stuff.  

Good news though if everything checks out on yours, you can just drive it now !!!!

• Like 2