Subscriptions & Donations ×

Degrading interior trim

welland99

• Moderators
1 hour ago, welland99 said:

The surface of the trim around the centre console cubby hole is degrading on my car and feels rather sticky as a result.  Does anybody else have this too? Wondering if there is any product or treatment I can apply to get rid of the sticky feeling?

Funny you should mention this, whilst I had the facia off a week or so back I noticed it a little sticky above the heated seat switches and into the surrounding area.

Had this before on binoculars and something else too that I can't recall 🤪

When I read up on it the general information was that the cheaper plastic/ rubber goes like this fairly quickly as it ages, effectively breaking down.  Better stuff like our Coupes last longer.

Given that we are twenty plus years down the line maybe it will be an ongoing problem. 

I have used chalk dust to "dry" my previous stuff out, seems to help after a couple of applications but the feeling has never really gone completely on a set of binoculars I have. Much better though.

Maybe someone has got a better solution that they have tried. ??? 🤔

• Like 2

• Moderators
16 minutes ago, welland99 said:

Hi Pete, that's exactly the same place I've noticed it on mine too.  I will try some talcum powder and see if it helps.  I keep some in the shed and use when repairing bicycle punctures.

That's the stuff I used !

Straight out of the puncture kit !!!!

Just make sure you like the perfume if you are using standard talc !!!!!

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

Mine hasn't any sticky issue, but what i've notice is that this particular plastic trim part is coated with black paint matt finish. On some spot i can see the paint slighlty degrading and revealing the shinier bare plastic underneath. This coat may be sensitive to some particular interior chemicals cleaning products and thus leaving that sticky feel, just a supposition..

• Clap Hands 1

• Moderators

Good point, dashboard cleaner might be a factor, but general degradation on "plastic" stuff other than the Coupes has been reported too...still, that could also be some cleaner problem....

Wonder if cleaning with a water based degreaser might help rather than actually trying to dry it out with talc...

• Moderators
2 hours ago, KingK0ng said:

Has your coat already peeled in some places of the trim ?

Not sure, just felt sticky, haven't investigated yet but I will have a closer look now you mention it and see if it is a coating coming off.

Wonder if welland99 has same ?

• Moderators

Just got to check mine, all "coating" intact but interestingly the complete pocket is sticky, included, the surround and the interior , different material feel and type too.

Now wondering if your line of thought re the cleaners is the problem. 

When i disassembled my trim i could see on the sides ( back ) some shades of the coat paint, so there is definitely a coating applied. I removed the four felt tapes to replace them because the originals almost dried out and one felt tape fall off when disassembling. I cleaned the old glue residue with alcohol but some black paint was coming off and it's then i realized there was a coating over the plastic itself. So my guess is cleaners with strong degreaser may not be a safe option for this particular trim part.

What kind of cleaner do you use ? The other trims around are sticky too or its just this particular one ?

• Like 1

• Moderators
On 7/7/2021 at 9:17 PM, KingK0ng said:

What kind of cleaner do you use ? The other trims around are sticky too or its just this particular one ?

I use ArmorAll Protectant, the matt/satin type not gloss to prevent reflections off the top of the dash,,,, can't recall if I have used it on the pocket though...no other sticky bits though 😁

• Site Subscriber’s

Wow, wish I'd read this post 4 days ago! I covered my dashboard with a dark felt material, to help with reflections in the windscreen, which did work very well actually, but the felt was looking a bit tired, and by the time I removed it , a sticky residue from the double sided spongey tape crap that I had used remained.  I tried lots of different fluids to remove it, and the only one that was effective was cellulose thinners. Unfortunately, one patch closest to the windscreen started reacting and like you guys have already said, there is a thin film of plastic or something covering the dashboard, and it started to come away. I paniced a bit, but it didn't look too bad after letting it dry properly and rubbing it with that horrible black trim creamy stuff. Could have been a lot worse. Any other ideas about preventing reflections?

• Like 1

• Moderators
19 minutes ago, Chrismas said:

Any other ideas about preventing reflections?

I use the Armorall stuff in matt /satin? kills off all the reflections on the dash top.

Might need a few applications if you have already "had a go " at it !!...... the shiny sh1t the dealers use is a right pain in the backside.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Chrismas said:

and like you guys have already said, there is a thin film of plastic or something covering the dashboard

Few months ago i cleaned my dashboard with isopropanol and a plastic deep cleaner product ( was alternating ) because the seller from i bought the car put a distugsting shiny product only half the dashaboard, yea don't ask me why i don't know...but was a total pita to remove. I was so desesperate that i took the risk with isopropanol and knew i could damage the dashboard permanently but fortunately it went well and was able to remove the shiny residue. That being said, on the dashboard itself ( the top part ) i didn't notice any plastic film, it's bare hard plastic. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderators

Isopropanol/Iso-Propyl Alcohol/IPA is a relatively safe alcohol-only solvent cleaner, you can even use it for cleaning wounds on yourself when you are spouting your own ATF onto various things.

Fro what you say it sounds like a product similar to TyreShine/Tyre Gel that is meant for dashboards and gives them a coating of something meant to give a shine/lustre to the dash.

I hate reflections in the windscreen from a shiny dashboard so i tend to leave mine dusty to minimise reflections........

• Like 1
  • Haha 1