Subscriptions & Donations ×

Matt's Coupe

LeedsMatt

49 minutes ago, LeedsMatt said:

Speaking of paintwork it's looking in need of some care in places. That's next on the list :lol:

Really ? As i already said about this car the bodywork and paint look absolutely pristine. What are the flaws ? and what kind of paintwork do you have planned ?

• Like 2

• Site Subscriber’s

You can't really see in the pics buts there's a few scuffs around and about one fairly decent one at the offside rear wheel arch where it meets the bumper (you can maybe make it out if you zoom in). Nothing major planned just a tidy up to be honest. I'll get some close ups of what I'm describing soon and you guys can let me know if it's something I could maybe tackle. 

• Like 3

18 hours ago, LeedsMatt said:

You can't really see in the pics buts there's a few scuffs around and about one fairly decent one at the offside rear wheel arch where it meets the bumper (you can maybe make it out if you zoom in). Nothing major planned just a tidy up to be honest. I'll get some close ups of what I'm describing soon and you guys can let me know if it's something I could maybe tackle. 

Yes can see it on the rear wheel arch. At least you have no dents or dings, those are more painful to work with..I got some few dings right on the bodyline and it gives me nightmares everytime i'm thinking of it..😅 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

• Moderators

I've used Kurust fairly successfully in the past but anything that covers it and restricts the oxygen to it will help prevent it spreading - even duct tape!

You'll have to do some aggressive work to remove the rust at some point so if you can minimise its progress until that point, so much the better. I have even heard of Tipp-Ex being used as a quick paint repair to cover it up on a fresh scratch.

• Like 2

• Moderators
2 hours ago, LeedsMatt said:

Do you guys have any advice on any recommended treatment products to keep on top of it until i get around to the painting?

I have been using Bilt Hamber products for the last few years with good results but Dinitrol is good stuff......, Kurust and Waxoil is a bit old hat now but useful for painting on areas like pipe connections etc.

Bilt hamber have a large range of stuff, they are a wholesaler too ,though,  so buy from their own website rather than through a third party., a bit cheaper that way.

I use ferrisol,  UC and UB, Dynax chassis stuff plus their range of derusters work really well, Hydrate 80,..wheel cleaner and degrease fluids are great too....plus they do waxes , polishes ,,,,very easy to spend minimum carriage paid !!! Their aerosol cans are very big and loads of power to fire into nooks and crannies.

https://www.bilthamber.com/

I don't have any shares in the company either although swmbo says I must have due to the amount of gear that touches down once a year  !!!!!

• Like 2
  • Clap Hands 1

We can already see the paint blistering on the extremities of the exposed metal. So as temporarily fix i would gently scrape the blistered paint and use some very fine sandpaper with some wd-40 until the surface is rust free and then degrease the whole surface. Once everything is clean and dry i would apply some touch up paint. Just in case you don't know your car color is called San Marino Red, code is R94. Removing the bumper for this job would be a good idea.

• Like 3

• Site Subscriber’s

She's had a new timing belt today fitted by PCH Automotive in Stockport as recommended by someone on here. Great guys over there. Had them drain and refil the ATF (which I supplied) while they were doing it. 

Always nice when you go to pick it up and catch one of the mechanics taking pics with his phone! :D

• Like 3
  • Clap Hands 2

• Moderators
3 hours ago, LeedsMatt said:

the handbrake warning light also came on at the same time. Is this related or a separate issue?

Are you sure it was the handbrake warning lamp? The low brake fluid warning lamp looks very similar! Check your brake fluid level.

• Like 1

• Site Subscriber’s

I couldn't really see the level from the outside of the bottle but it was way up the neck when I took the top off. But I'll get some ordered and in there. Brake pedal doesn't feel odd at all. 

Is that the brake fluid warning light that's lit up then?

• Like 1