Subscriptions & Donations ×

Elysion Buying advice

Wolfie

Hi all, I'm looking to buy an Elysion as a family bus in a couple of months and I'm not sure which engine to aim for. I'm looking around the 06 to 08 range and the choice seems to be 2.4, 3.0 or 3.5. Am I correct that the 2.4 is a chain driven cam and the others are belt driven? Which would be the better choice? Thankfully I'm old enough that the engine size doesn't make enough of a difference to my insurance to be any concern so I'm just looking for the best choice/most reliable. Can anyone recommend a dealer to use? I'm aware there is one in Enfield that's best avoided, I'm in Essex but happy to travel up to 200 miles for a car. Is there anything in particular to look for on these? A lot of questions I know but last year I spent over 20k on a VW that I thought would be reliable and its currently in bits waiting on a new engine due to a manufacturing defect so I need to get this next one right before I get divorced 😂

• Like 5

• Moderators

Welcome to H6nda !!!

Obviously a V6 version is good !! 3l or 3.5l would be nice 😁

There is a good choice of 4 pot 2.4 engines Elysion for sale though so don't rule them out either but you should drive both versions and see which would suit you personally. 

The 2.4 is a reliable cam chain driven unit used in the Accords but is a detuned, bhp wise, about 160bhp, engine from the Accord one of 190bhp. Consider the Elysion is 1.8 tonnes too.

The 3.0 V6, cam belt not chain , comes with 250bhp standard and the 3.5 around 300 I believe, there is a 4 wheel drive version too.

Spec wise , again a number of choices with the Prestige version sitting on top however many lesser models were specified with loads of options like rotating seats, high spec entertainment units, rear air con , heated windscreens etc.

Interior wise leather heated seats with an option for " cloth" velour type material too.

One thing to check for is that the rear sliding doors operate correctly,  some lower spec cars only have one electric door too, try and find one with both doors electrically powered.

Colours seem to be mostly white, black or silver but occasionally you will find a more interesting one, just keep looking!!

Many vehicles are modified with bigger wheels, lowered suspension etc.  whilst in Japan.

If you go for a newly imported Elysion make sure the fog light conversion has been done, speedo conversion AND the sat navigation stereo media unit changed to a UK spec one.

Have a chat with Adesina Folounso, based in London, great guy, he may be able to help.

• Like 3
  • Clap Hands 1
  • Thanks 1

• Administrators

Welcome to Honda 6, a great choice on a potential purchase, everything member @PTR200S AKA Pete is spot on, although the newer 2.4 engines do suffer from some timing issues compared with older K24 found in the accords, any noise on cold start i.e slight grind or rattle, factor in £500-£600 in possible future repairs. Also, expect some minor oil consumption with the 2.4 L4 compared with the V6 version, even if they're low mileage examples.

Happy Hunting 👍

• Like 4
  • Clap Hands 1

Welcome to honda 6 , i got my ely v6 from a dealer in stockport not the cheapest but glad i did as i had an issue with the lights on the way home which they paid for within 24hrs, They also give you a 2 year warranty and a cam belt change which is all in the price, my starter motor went last year and the the warranty company paid no problem otherwise i was looking at a £400 bill.

This is there website https://alljapanesemotors.co.uk/ 

• Like 3
  • Clap Hands 1

• Moderators
On 3/2/2021 at 6:21 AM, Wolfie said:

Thank you all for your input, by the sound of it I need a V6 one really. Do any of you have trouble getting parts at all

sorry for the delay in replying,  been on a cv19 vaccine far out trip !!

V6 sounds a good plan 😄

Never had a problem so far with parts, some shipped direct from Japan via a company called Amayama (there are others!) Some stuff from States but most is available here in the UK from Cox Motorparts.  The latter has the Elysion listed, a lot do not. Talking of which Amayama has parts diagrams for the vehicle on line.

Body parts are more of a problem obtaining,  not had to do it yet , but I suspect a bump will write it off in the insurance company eyes, talking of which the best insurance package I have found is via Mark Richards brokers, look up Japcover.co.uk  ..Direct line , Admiral , Flux Direct all quote too as they know what the Elysion is but their quotes are not close to Japcover.co.uk.   the " confused " websites and their ilk have no idea !!!!!!

Expect a bigger insurance bill because of the above and also because of the increased risk of carrying eight people instead of four/five in a car.

My insurance is twice the cost of an average car and a bit more at £330.

The big thing is to get an Elysion with everything sorted by the supplier,  don't be fobbed off by they all do that, sir or we will get it fixed after you buy it !!

There are some good low mileage specimens around but I have noticed prices have gone up slightly,  you could buy one direct from Japan using an agent and will save you around £1500. Downside is you have to collect from the port, customs, then do the donkey work to get it through the mot, then the registration process with the dvla after a full service.  That plus you need to have patience, buying to delivery at the port is six weeks on average, and you have got to go to the port which may be a long slog from where you live. Don't think you can legally drive your new steed so it means a cost of a flatbed collection and anyway it will need a full service.

Main things to change are rear fog light, ( mot requirement  ) stereo sat navigation, mph speedo, ....oh if you are doing your own be very careful dismantling the dashboard,  the wood effect bits are fragile, replacement is about 350 quid at the last count..  better letting the dealer do it !! Getting the cambelt replaced before you buy is good but not sure how you can satisfy yourself it has been done, ...we know dealers !!!!

The best news is there are not many around as yet and petrol station encounters are not unusual,  asking what it is and admiring it !!!!

• Like 5

On 3/2/2021 at 6:21 AM, Wolfie said:

Thank you all for your input, by the sound of it I need a V6 one really. Do any of you have trouble getting parts at all

That's the main reason I went for the 2.4. Aftermarket support is much better for the K-series engines than the Js (which is what the V6s are). The V6 owners will defend theirs to the hilt, which is fair enough, but the 2.4 used in the Elysion shares many parts with the K20s and 24s that tuners like - blocks, plugs, coils, water pumps etc etc and has a strong reputation for being very reliable, which the V6 does not share. Then again, they're both Hondas so it's unlikely you'll get a huge amount of problems with either. 😁

Some V6 owners appear to have had trouble with timing issues and the variable cylinder management, but I've not heard of heavy oil consumption on a non-performance variant of the K24 mentioned further up here and have been around K-series engines for quite a while like others on here. Research I did before buying suggested VCM makes this much more of an issue on the V6s on the bank that gets deactivated (see here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iVGCQ-oUB90 ). Newer ones may be less likely to suffer because I think piston rings were changed on later ones to reduce leakage into the combustion chamber. Like I said, V6 owners absolutely love them.

My K24 is converted to a camper and even with the extra weight of a pop-top roof, water tank, kitchenette and canoe on the roof I don't have to drive it hard. If you want to drive a car quickly then an Elysion isn't the one to buy. 😂

• Like 4

• Moderators

I think the issue on vcm was overblown,  relatively small number of issues down to tardy servicing.....apparently. and in the States where everything is "bigger" ...😂

What you have to remember is that the vcm only operates on soft pedal pressure, any change to load or speed puts it back on 6 pots. Tickover is always 6 pots.

The use of vcm is therefore pretty low in the scheme of things. Hmm, defence of the V6 , erm, possibly 😁

The k24 is a great engine, had a few, the last in a Tourer, no problems whatsoever with that,  parts availability great too, but the V6 is the same particularly the 3.5 version.  Loads of these in the States so parts plentiful but obviously a few days delay getting them if you buy from there. 

Lots of 2.4 versions of the Elysion have been imported in the last year so by extension more accident damaged in breakers ????? in the near future !!!!

• Like 3

• The title was changed to Elysion Buying advice
  • The topic was featured
11 minutes ago, Scoobydo said:

@Wolfiewhat's the issue with the guy at Enfield was thinking of having a look there

I was warned off of their stock, there was some chat about it on the facebook group, mainly centred around the quality being lower than other dealers but to be fair their prices seemed to be a touch lower than elsewhere. I personally haven't been to the dealer as i'm not in a position to buy yet 

• Like 1

Ok tks, I had a chat with him as he had some issues with one of the cars there and I helped him out as he got ripped by his mechanic saved him 300 quid on something that just needed a new bearing! I am still in the market for one as got ripped off by another  dealer who spent ages repairing an electrical fault that they never got to the bottom of. Shame as it was a nice vehicle but could never drive it more than 5 miles without the dashboard cutting out! Got money back in the end 1.5 years later! Also considering a stepwagon

3 hours ago, Wolfie said:

So is it just the Prestige that comes with a different front end? Apart from the shape is there any difference in the fronts? Both types look to have HID lights and front fogs

Yeah, the prestige is the one with the front end same as what Peter linked to above. But there was also a restyle on the front end of the regular one around 2005/2006. Take a look at the pics on this page and you'll see what I mean: https://www.amayama.com/en/catalogs/honda/elysion

The prestige also has a slightly different interior I think, whereby you can't scooch from driver's seat to passenger seat like you can in the non-prestige ones. 

• Like 3

• Moderators
4 hours ago, Wolfie said:

So is it just the Prestige that comes with a different front end? Apart from the shape is there any difference in the fronts? Both types look to have HID lights and front fogs

Prestige has a few more bits like different sideskirts etc, plus the revamped Elysion facelifted the rear light cluster too. Interior too as Elysion says above...not sure if the extended Central console was part of upgrade of all or just the Prestige.  A lot of previous owners seem to have added all sorts of bits and pieces !!!!

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
  • Moderators
15 minutes ago, Wolfie said:

Can i get peoples opinion on this one please?

I have my eye on it at the moment, just waiting for the dealer that had my dub bus to clear it off before pulling the trigger on an Elysion

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/274631561068?

that looks nice but very expensive, although is a 2010 model,,,,,last of the Jap builds, 

Only has a 6 month warranty...that just on the engine and gearbox too.

Cam belt done??

UK speedo conversion?

Sat nav / radio changed ? Only mentions dvd player !!!!

Check the vehicle history report from Japan...

https://carvx.jp/?

26 minutes ago, PTR200S said:

that looks nice but very expensive, although is a 2010 model,,,,,last of the Jap builds, 

Only has a 6 month warranty...that just on the engine and gearbox too.

Cam belt done??

UK speedo conversion?

Sat nav / radio changed ? Only mentions dvd player !!!!

Check the vehicle history report from Japan...

https://carvx.jp/?

This may be a better link, i am trying to get the youngest one i can.

From the looks of it there is a small digital device on the dash, i'm guessing that is for the speedo? but all good questions i will be asking thanks.

https://www.raccars.co.uk/car-58053364?i=4&m=vd

• Like 1

• Moderators
14 minutes ago, Wolfie said:

This may be a better link, i am trying to get the youngest one i can.

From the looks of it there is a small digital device on the dash, i'm guessing that is for the speedo? but all good questions i will be asking thanks.

https://www.raccars.co.uk/car-58053364?i=4&m=vd

OK, all the "assets " listed are normal Elysion attributes,  one or two, like Bluetooth, are normal on later vehicles. 

Digi device might be a radio station band expander, the original Elysion radio/sat nav is useless in the UK, band expander gets you some UK stations !!

Or it could be satellite speedo as you say...either way I would want a UK sat nav radio conversion included for the 11k they are asking plus a better warranty.....

Oh, and check the electric doors work properly plus what sort of remote locking it is, key card or fob

Other than that you need go and TEST everything plus drive it !!!!

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, PTR200S said:

OK, all the "assets " listed are normal Elysion attributes,  one or two, like Bluetooth, are normal on later vehicles. 

Digi device might be a radio station band expander, the original Elysion radio/sat nav is useless in the UK, band expander gets you some UK stations !!

Or it could be satellite speedo as you say...either way I would want a UK sat nav radio conversion included for the 11k they are asking plus a better warranty.....

Oh, and check the electric doors work properly plus what sort of remote locking it is, key card or fob

Other than that you need go and TEST everything plus drive it !!!!

Well just had a quick chat with the dealer and i must say not really inspiring confidence considering the size of his stock, told me engine was cam chain not a belt, sat nav/radio is still Jap and can't be changed and speedo is still KM. 

• Sad 1

• Moderators
6 hours ago, Wolfie said:

Well just had a quick chat with the dealer and i must say not really inspiring confidence considering the size of his stock, told me engine was cam chain not a belt, sat nav/radio is still Jap and can't be changed and speedo is still KM. 

Think I would leave it on their forecourt then 😁

For that sort of money you need it to get it 100% sorted...also I would ask if it has a REAR foglight...some dealers don't put them on...but it is a mot requirement so if it has an mot and no fog light it's a pub mot...😃

• Like 2