Subscriptions & Donations ×

My Honda Legend KA7 Project Chat

Zamz

• Moderators
16 minutes ago, Zamz said:

Just found this part was wondering if this is the correct Spring for the tensioner? 

Honda Spring Comp., Timing Belt - 14516-PY3-000 https://www.diyspareparts.com/parts/honda/spgcomptb-adj-14516py3000/

According to Stus part number above, that one matches so i'd say yes.

On 10/26/2020 at 7:01 PM, hughezee said:

the 14516-PY3-000

As you can see! 👍

Nice find on that site by the way! Just checked the part number Stu gave for the spring i need for mine (although i've got a couple) and unbelievably they have mine in stock too! ;):D

• Like 2

So the part on the kit that I've purchased that's missing  (bolt looking thing) what's that called? And what's it's purpose? 

No problem and I've just been button bashing random parts and trying my best to see what part number and part shows up lol it was a lucky find 😂😂

• Confused 1

• Moderators
1 minute ago, Zamz said:

So the part on the kit that I've purchased that's missing  (bolt looking thing) what's that called? And what's it's purpose? 

Do you mean the spring post? I'm not sure what is missing on that kit that you're referring to other than the spring itself.

• Like 2

• Administrators
1 minute ago, Laird_Scooby said:

Do you mean the spring post? I'm not sure what is missing on that kit that you're referring to other than the spring itself.

Zamz emailed with an image earlier its the spring post, spring retainer missing from the kit as you suspected Dave 🤨

• Like 1
  • Clap Hands 1

If you click on the link 

CONTITECH PP193LK1 Timing Belt, Water Pump & Component Kit | RockAuto

https://www.rockauto.com/en/parts/contitech,PP193LK1,timing+belt%2C+water+pump+&+component+kit,16088

If you click on info a the picture will balloon up, in the centreof the image there's a bolt  ( they didn't include it in my kit, said it was out of stock) no idea what it is but I want it because I've paid for it lol and even if I don't need it I'll put it ontop of my fire mantle piece 😂

• Like 1

• Administrators
37 minutes ago, Zamz said:

Just found this part was wondering if this is the correct Spring for the tensioner? 

Honda Spring Comp., Timing Belt - 14516-PY3-000 https://www.diyspareparts.com/parts/honda/spgcomptb-adj-14516py3000/

Good find m8y, like Dave said it is the same part number, I would double-check they have them before placing an order?

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, Laird_Scooby said:

Yes it must be that, spring post, thanks stu I'll see what I can find.

• Like 2

• Moderators

You can re-use the original spring post but be sure to clean the threads on it and apply some Loctite 243 to the threads before fitting.

Water pump gasket, 2 options, first is silicone grease, second is Hondabond or Threebond 1215 (pink) which is a generic equivalent. The latter two are a semi-flexible sealant a bit like silicone sealant but not as messy.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/THREEBOND-1215-HIGH-PERFORMANCE-ENGINE-GEARBOX-SEALER-250G-TUBE/111912846248

Had it in my Watch List since Stu told me about it ages ago! The project i needed it for at the time got shelved but i'll be needing it for my own water pump sometime in the near ish future.

Obviously the silicone grease option just holds the gasket in place and makes disassembly easy and the Hondabond/Threebond is actually a sealant.

• Like 2

• Administrators

Also, if you get no joy with the spring, I have used a KA9 spring on a KA7 in the past as the tensioners are virtually identical including the position of spring post and the spring looked correct. Although, it was difficult to be 100% as the Honda Dealer snapped the spring trying to reinstall it and no replacement was available then. The owner found me and let me sort it out 🤔 it was either that or scrap the car as the dealers advised him. 😡

Anyway, it was running fine for 6 years before it was sold on, so might be worth a sniff m8y: https://www.amayama.com/en/part/honda/14516p5a000

• Like 3

• Moderators
48 minutes ago, hughezee said:

Good find m8y, like Dave said it is the same part number, I would double-check they have them before placing an order?

As I said in my post on previous page its also available at lings if they don't have it.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

30 minutes ago, hughezee said:

Also, if you get no joy with the spring, I have used a KA9 spring on a KA7 in the past as the tensioners are virtually identical including the position of spring post and the spring looked correct. Although, it was difficult to be 100% as the Honda Dealer snapped the spring trying to reinstall it and no replacement was available then. The owner found me and let me sort it out 🤔 it was either that or scrap the car as the dealers advised him. 😡

Anyway, it was running fine for 6 years before it was sold on, so might be worth a sniff m8y: https://www.amayama.com/en/part/honda/14516p5a000

How fragile are the springs stu, would it be best to get a dozen?

• Like 2

• Administrators
13 minutes ago, Zamz said:

How fragile are the springs stu, would it be best to get a dozen?

They're not fragile, but when fatigued or handled incorrectly they will weaken or break, so I would say if the spring isn't rusty and feels strong I would be happy to re-use it 😉 if the car has 100,000 miles or less, the car I talked about had almost done 180,000 miles and it was the original spring.😏

So ordering a couple should be plenty for your life with the car, but it's up to you at the end of the day m8y.😁

• Like 3

• Moderators

My experiences with the C27 concur with that, original spring ok up to and including the first change at 96k miles, renew the spring on the second change, third should be ok, renew on the 4th etc...........

Work out how long you're likely to keep the car and divide by 16 for the number of springs you need then multiply by the number of cars you have with the same engine if you're keeping them just as long.

• Like 3

• Moderators
2 hours ago, hughezee said:

When I looked it was showing unavailable on lings Pete, your link confirms that too 🤔

Well that's bizarre!!!

It was quite clearly there when I originally posted otherwise I wouldn't have said..

I will just go back to sleep on this one

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

• Administrators
23 minutes ago, PTR200S said:

It was quite clearly there when I originally posted otherwise I wouldn't have said..

We should all learn that anything KA7 service item or parts related, suddenly disappears despite there being 50 available and by the time you get to the checkout they're all sold out. 😭

Zamz did it🤣

• Haha 3

Is it just me or when car parts arrive it's soooo exciting 😅😅😅 stuck at work on a 14hr shift so couldnt resist asked my kid brother to open up the presents(that I paid for obviously) fresh car parts always smell good and shiny.  Feel like smeagol out of Lord of the rings 😂  my precious 

• Haha 3

Spring post is now out of stock at amayama.. dame!!! Just got an email to say none in stock

90015PY3000

Found one site and it add upto -£34.66 ouch!

90015-PY3-000 - Genuine Honda Bolt, Timing Belt Adjuster Spring https://www.hondapartsnow.com/genuine/honda~bolt~timing~belt~adjuster~90015-py3-000.html

Might have to do a refurbished of the one that's in unless anyone knows else where where I can get a hold of it?

Look at this on eBay https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/223621209382

Installed these over weekend their great definitely recommend them. Clear's the screen so well like a brand new car.

• Sad 2