Subscriptions & Donations ×

My Honda Legend KA7 Project Chat

Zamz

Okay I'm the new memeber and a Honda noob

I'm a new owner of a HONDA LEGEND KA7 and was looking at doing all the servicing updates before I start doing bodywork repairs and mod. The car is currently on 157k with only 2 previous owners. Unfortunately no history so, I'm going through everything I can as best as I can with the guidance from you Honda hero's 😊

So looking at best brands, suitability for a timing service firstly?

Currently (with 2 weeks search) I've come across these brands

-Water pump - (jap random make) 2year Warranty  

-Timing Belt -(Gates) 5year Warranty or 60,000 which ever come first

-V-Ribbed Belt -(Gates) 2year Warranty

-Timing Belt Tensioner -(INA)

-Coolant Thermostat-(Gates)2year Warrranty

Secondly looking at air filter, oil filter, pollen filter and most importantly  the best engine oil to use

( would you think it would be wise to ask a approved garage to change everything? Ive used a approved  "Servicing company" where they change check your whole car top to bottom, only reason I do this on any of my newly purchased cars is to eliminate/alleviate any underlying issues. But as it's a 27 year old car I'm not sure a basic service is applicable. OEM parts are used by these guys and comes with a year warranty on all parts which is good but still in doubt. ) 

I've read a few posts in regards of transmission fluid changes etc but might leave that till later. The car runs perfectly at the moment but ill ask the "Honda man ste' how to get the best change without incurring any sudden changes to avoid any damage.

• Like 3

• Moderators

can't really go wrong with Gates stuff, I would be careful with random water pumps.

Filters,  stuff from the likes of blueprint is good, can't recall if the legend of that era had a pollen filter but supplier should be able to advise.

Oil, well the original oil spec was mineral, I would go with a 10/30, 10/40, semi synth maybe. Get a good named oil filter, my preference is genuine Honda though.

If you are happy with DIY then go for it !!

Or maybe get the garage to do timing belt and associated whilst you tackle the other stuff??

Others will be along soon with their thoughts to give alternatives perhaps.?.

• Clap Hands 1
  • Thanks 1

• Administrators
1 hour ago, PTR200S said:

can't really go wrong with Gates stuff, I would be careful with random water pumps.

FYI, Pete, I rarely use Gates stuff these days, auxiliary or timing belts, bearings that come with kits (water pumps too) are not great quality and fail prematurely or are noisy, the majority of parts come from china, cost me a fortune to put things right with customers cars over the last few years. 😡

5 hours ago, Zamz said:

So looking at best brands, suitability for a timing service firstly?

The CONTITECH PP193LK1 Pro Series Plus kit I recently fitted to member Mikes KA7 was pretty good and no complaints from me or Mike. Just remember there are three different water pumps and I guess yours will require the duel outlet. I have seen some KA7s the past fitted with the wrong pump and suffered overheating problems as a result. 😒

5 hours ago, Zamz said:

approved garage to change everything?

Regards using an approved garage (approved by who anyway) unless they have worked on one these cars they will have no clue and could end up damaging something. One example the oil sump protrudes under the lower pulley and the engine block mating surface meets the sump and is easily damaged if you are not careful. Also, I would consider replacing the cam position sensor (NTK EC0278) over time the insulation of the sensor melts away and leaves it more susceptible to the extreme temperature changes and will fail. As pictured below.

87510533_629830974253147_4834443689780576256_n.jpg

• Like 1
  • Clap Hands 2

• Moderators

Interesting about Gates, never had a problem with them but if they have moved into the "china" category it doesn't surprise me....we have discussed this problem with other parts that have gone Chinese too.  ?.....?imported a lot of gates from the states in the past.

• Like 2

• Administrators
24 minutes ago, PTR200S said:

we have discussed this problem with other parts that have gone Chinese too. 

it is only in recent years but plenty of complaints on the net and the tube, once the JAPAN and USA/Canadian made parts are sold and getting replaced with the newer stuff the problems start 😡 Check this out: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YmjrYtIxtEM

• Like 2

• Moderators

Wow!

Interesting that the box shows only a Chinese water pump which he did not show but also only one other component of the 3 bearing / idlers was made in china the other two actually stated Japan.!!!!!

Trouble here is the box has incorrect information on so I wonder where the other stuff is made? Actually made I mean....

• Like 3

1 hour ago, PTR200S said:

Interesting about Gates, never had a problem with them but if they have moved into the "china" category it doesn't surprise me....we have discussed this problem with other parts that have gone Chinese too.  ?.....?imported a lot of gates from the states in the past.

Nor have , I've always used gates on my mitsubishi lancers. I checked and it said made in Belgium don't know if that's any good.

Cam position sensor hmmm where would be the best place to aquire one of these parts stu?  And same goes for the waterpump? The one that has been is a Jap one but the exact brand type wasn't mentioned by the dealer.

I've read the recommended engine oils for the KA7 Shell Helix 10W-40 HX7 SS - 5Ltr is already on order for collection  thanks stu again.

• Like 3

• Moderators

I'd avoid your "Approved servicing garage" with this one if i were you. Chances are they've never seen one and won't have a clue how to do half the work you'll ever need. Most places like that have no clue how to correctly change the rear pads for example. Also they will likely use DW-1 ATF in the box which will be a big no-no. In the USA Honda faced a class action lawsuit as it isn't backwards compatible with older models. Stu can give you the details in exactly how but the short version is it's too thin and cooks the torque converter. However, it can be used for remedial purposes in short duration as long as it's changed back to something more like Z-1 soon after.

Engine oil should be 10W40 semi-synth i believe, if you use Shell Helix change it every 3k miles as it loses the efficiecieny of the additives after that.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Laird_Scooby said:

I'd avoid your "Approved servicing garage" with this one if i were you. Chances are they've never seen one and won't have a clue how to do half the work you'll ever need. Most places like that have no clue how to correctly change the rear pads for example. Also they will likely use DW-1 ATF in the box which will be a big no-no. In the USA Honda faced a class action lawsuit as it isn't backwards compatible with older models. Stu can give you the details in exactly how but the short version is it's too thin and cooks the torque converter. However, it can be used for remedial purposes in short duration as long as it's changed back to something more like Z-1 soon after.

Engine oil should be 10W40 semi-synth i believe, if you use Shell Helix change it every 3k miles as it loses the efficiecieny of the additives after that.

Yeah I feel what your saying and an very very vary about it going wrong noted taken. Thanks I've come across the read about the box change on here i think it was stu covering the subjet so I'm leaving that till last. 

Every 3k it is thanks. it seemed like the best out of 3 as stu recommended and the reviews popularity versatility favoured it note too.

• Like 3

If i do the timing belt again, i will go with Honda genuine parts only cost quite a bit but you know they are genuine if you get them from cox or amayama, i changed the power steering belt on the last service the one that came off was cheap crap very noisy, put the new genuine from honda now very quite

• Like 4

• Administrators
1 hour ago, st123 said:

i will go with Honda genuine parts only cost quite a bit but you know they are genuine if you get them from cox or amayama

Good point however a lot of key components are no longer available from Honda which includes the tensioner and water pump...

17 hours ago, Zamz said:

Cam position sensor hmmm where would be the best place to aquire one of these parts stu?  And same goes for the waterpump? The one that has been is a Jap one but the exact brand type wasn't mentioned by the dealer.

On 10/13/2020 at 11:12 PM, hughezee said:

Regards parts rock auto is a good place for bits (search Acura Legend), I make an order once every couple of months, also some of the braking system is shared with more recent Honda models etc, so just ask us in the questions section as linked above.

👍

• Like 5

• Administrators
5 minutes ago, st123 said:

ahh bit of a problem that, what are the part numbers?

19200-PY3-010 PUMP COMP., WATER

19222-PY3-000 O-RING, WATER PUMP

14260-PY3-003 PULLEY COMP., L. TIMING B

14270-PH7-003 PULLEY, RR. TIMING BELT D

4510-PY3-003 ADJUSTER COMP., TIMING BE

14516-PY3-000 SPRING COMP., TIMING BELT

37840-PY3-026 SENSOR COMP., CRANK CYLIN

• Like 1
  • Clap Hands 1
  • Confused 1

• Administrators
4 hours ago, Zamz said:

Rock auto seems like decent site pretty cheap too which is always good 😊 

A very good site, but its USA stock, so some parts or numbers won't fit or apply to your motor, and when it comes to shipping it best to use FedEx as all the import duties are taken upfront, no extra fee surprises when they arrive. Also, don't hesitate to try to get the same shipping locations A B C as very often a more expensive part that comes from the same place as something your basket works out cheaper than a cheaper item shipped from another location, hope that made sense 🤪

• Like 2
  • Clap Hands 1

The CONTITECH PP193LK1 Pro Series Plus kit I recently fitted to member Mikes KA7 was pretty good and no complaints from me or Mike. Just remember there are three different water pumps and I guess yours will require the duel outlet. I have seen some KA7s the past fitted with the wrong pump and suffered overheating problems as a result. 😒

None in stock, God dame it lol would the kit come with the right duel outlet water pump? I think I might have to write you a shopping list stu 😂😂😂 does it work in your favour if I order though, any insensitive's that you get dicount pointed etc 

• Like 2

Life was easy till stu brainwashed me with parts research lol mannnnnn I've got a headache, all the brands I used and trusted are basically crap now, all crap! Only because I've been finding out most of them are made in China. 

• Haha 4

• Founding Member
On 10/15/2020 at 6:28 PM, Zamz said:

Rock auto seems like decent site pretty cheap too which is always good 😊 

I have found Rock Auto extremely useful as a search tool. I’m a bit twitchy about cheap always being good though. In my experience, pay cheap, pay twice 😆

• Like 3