Subscriptions & Donations ×

New Sidelights LED 1998 1999 2000 2001 CG Accord Coupe

hughezee

Just a quick update on the Led's.

Managed to fit them this afternoon - actually quite easy when you know where the fitting is, but I thought I might have trouble as they are quite a bit longer than the standard 501.

Seen here:

IrPe4zc.jpg?1

These were taken earlier this afternoon after fitting the - it was still quite light...

m8qiVR5.jpg

yI9qbn5.jpg

And taken about 10 minutes ago just after 16:35hrs. Not quite dark yet.

zMAtviM.jpg

fjRbEBq.jpg

Don't know about you but I'm mildly impressed! :D

• Moderators

Very nice Bill! Looking at the spec it says they are 200 Lumens which is the measurement of the light output and 6000k colour temperature which is often called diamond white or daylight white and also "Cool White". I found this chart online which shows it better than i can explain :

info-colour-temperature.jpg

However that shows slightly different definitions to those i've always known, this is more what i've known :

s-l400.gif

The listing i shamelessly robbed it from :

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/55W-Hid-H1-H3-H7-H11-9005-9006-Xenon-Light-Bulb-Ballast-Conversion-Kit-Headlight/302080447434?_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D2%26asc%3D38661%26meid%3Dc5d1668ad82644f4bcf183fee188134a%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D3%26rkt%3D6%26mehot%3Dpp%26sd%3D371503623523

That's the colour temperature, now for the wattage. If you're going for LEDs, forget wattage - it's irrelevant! What is relevant though is the Lumen output and here's a chart i've worked out through various bits of research to convert the "old" filament bulbs rated in Watts (W) to Lumens and typical uses of the bulbs in question.

"Old Bulb"     Lumen Output     Typical Use     Suggested Lumen Output of LED

3W               50-70                 Instruments           100-150

5W               80-100               Sidelights              200-250

10W              150-180             Boot/Interior          300-350

21W               350-370            Stop/Reverse/        500-700

Indicator/Rear Fog

60/55W          1200-1600         Headlights/Front     1800 minimum

Fogs/Driving Lights

This is about as comprehensive as i've managed to build so far, when selecting an LED bulb a slightly higher Lumen output is usually desirable as LEDs give a much purer light. That means in bright daylight with the (literal) rainbow of colours that daylight is made from it can often reduce the visibility of the LEDs whereas with a traditional filament bulb, the output has so many other colours present in the bulb that some light is still visible.

Hope that's useful for you all, be careful when selecting LED bulbs for headlights and similar as some do NOT give the necessary beam patterns. I've tested several types at great personal cost and can recommend some H4 LED bulbs. As yet i've been unable to find any H3 types i'm happy with so have tried some H3 HID bulbs instead.

• Like 4

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • Moderators

That's a bit on the bright side ! Fantastic output:D

I didn't realise the sidelights were down at the bottom of the light unit, had to turn them on to identify the location so I could find the blasted fitting at the back ! Bit out of the way!

Manage to turn one a quarter turn anticlockwise but it won't come out of the socket... the other one is stuck tight.  Ironically it was going dark when I gave up....:rolleyes:

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • Moderators

Here we are, not great photos but you can see the effect on a very dark night/background... I fitted some better ones to the XK8 but can't find them anywhere now, Bill also had a recommend too, Halfords I think.

LED%20coupe%20lights%201_zpsuxnf8l9u.jpg

LED%20coupe%20lights%202_zpslnrf3odq.jpg

An interior shot 

LED%20coupe%20lights%203_zps78jfbc5v.jpg

Through the rear quarter window

LED%20coupe%20lights%204_zpsahpfkjgz.jpg

and the door light

LED%20coupe%20lights%205_zpsqnmnzef7.jpg

• Like 2

• Founding Member

This is mine again for what its worth....I get the feeling yours are brighter.....these are 360* leds and there also leds at the top. I've had them for about 6-7 yrs and transferred them from my previous coupe 

IMG_6720.thumb.JPG.44c73b4e4206120337dcd731531dba68.JPG

• Like 3

• Moderators

That is a beautiful picture of a fabulous car, swear I can see a fly on the house window reflected in the bonnet...:wub:

Lights look pretty much as mine do in the dusk, I didn't realise that the later cars have a different sidelight setup to the earlier ones.

• Like 2

• Founding Member
3 minutes ago, PTR200S said:

That is a beautiful picture of a fabulous car, swear I can see a fly on the house window reflected in the bonnet...:wub:

Lights look pretty much as mine do in the dusk, I didn't realise that the later cars have a different sidelight setup to the earlier ones.

Thank you Pete. I'm sad to say that up close and personal the bonnet is far from perfect and covered In stone chips(I'd do a Spit The Dog impersonation now if I could!) and I also have a couple of grazed corners from fellow drivers. 

What did you mean by the different sidelights....I thought they were the same? 

• Like 2

• Moderators

I was having a look at a mid nineties version and they seemed to be different.......mind you I guess they could gave been lights off another car? 

Would the fifth gen be different? Just thinking on the reg plate now, might have been M or N ...

Been a long day, think i have lost it now, :rolleyes:  of course it could be the beer haze kicking in... 

I'll stop digging and get me coat, my bed beckons :P

• Like 1

• Founding Member
34 minutes ago, PTR200S said:

I was having a look at a mid nineties version and they seemed to be different.......mind you I guess they could gave been lights off another car? 

Would the fifth gen be different? Just thinking on the reg plate now, might have been M or N ...

Been a long day, think i have lost it now, :rolleyes:  of course it could be the beer haze kicking in... 

Good one mate.....all 98-02 coupes have the same lights as far as I'm aware. 

• Like 3

• Moderators
42 minutes ago, PTR200S said:

The 93-98 Accord Coupés did indeed have separate sidelights :

honda_1995_accord_coupe.jpg

They are on the end of the headlamps (separate unit) and as far as i remember, the headlamps were H4 outer and H3 inner and the standard sidelight bulbs were 5W bayonet B15s fittings.

Your beer haze did not deceive you Pete and just for the record, that one pictured above is almost identical to my last one, mine was also an "N" reg in Malachite green and if the wheels are to be believed, that one is a 2.2iES as well, whether it's auto like mine was i don't know but very similar. ;):D

As an aside, there wasn't a UK V6 version of that one :( but there was a USA version using the C27 2.7 V6 engine - now where have i seen that before? :lol:

• Like 3