Subscriptions & Donations ×

Weird Noise When Driving 2008 KB1 Honda Legend 3.5 V6

Mazda Man

• Founding Member

Popped out tonight with the wife and she said “your cars making a funny noise”. The noise was coming from the front of the car and what could only be described as a slight grinding noise.  When stopped in Drive nothing.  So that rules out anything to do with the engine then presumably. I drove again and slipped the car into Neutral and the noise was still there.  So not the engine or gearbox then?  I though it may be a front wheel bearing, I wound the window down and no usual grumbling noise either.

My detective head thinks it may be something to do with a wheel, maybe something is rubbing somewhere like the shield by the calliper?  

Before I seriously consider getting rid and getting something less complicated, any ideas anyone?

cheers

• Confused 2

• Moderators

Did the noise alter when you used the brakes Geoff? Also have you had a look to see if a broken twig/branch has got caught under the car?

Odd question, did you try applying the handbrake to see if that altered the noise? Strange though it sounds, sometimes worn rear pads can echo so it sounds as it the noise is coming from the front.

Any warning lights on at all such as the ABS, Traction Control or similar?

• Like 1

• Administrators
1 hour ago, Lennie Legend said:

Popped out tonight with the wife and she said “your cars making a funny noise”. The noise was coming from the front of the car and what could only be described as a slight grinding noise.  When stopped in Drive nothing.

Feel free to pop over Geoff or if you feel its too risky take it to local ATS or something and get it checked, could be a simply stone trapped in the splash guard?

1 hour ago, Lennie Legend said:

Before I seriously consider getting rid and getting something less complicated, any ideas anyone?

Sounds like facebook group blues lots of questions but no real answers, come back to your roots @ Honda 6 or get an older legend buddy?

• Clap Hands 1

• Founding Member

Found a similar noise was coming from a rusted back plate on my Merc's brake.  Took off the wheel and found a bit of the back plate edge had rusted enough to peel back and rub the wheel on cornering only, presumably when the wheel bent over slightly.  Filed off the rotten bit and its been OK since

• Like 2

• Moderators
8 minutes ago, hughezee said:

Hope not lol not long done them well about a year ago now...............

Hmmm, depends how many miles Geoff has done and how often/hard he's used the brakes - maybe even a bit of grit causing a sticky caliper has accelerated the wear on one or more pads. Just a thought.....................

• Like 2

• Founding Member

Also Geoff when was the last time you drove the car.

I often get a noise and it’s surface rust on the disks.

After a few mins all is good and just cleans itself off.

Also check the temperature of your disks if hot but go carefully as if pads are sticking it will take the skin off your fingers.

You would smell a seizure on the caliper TBO as Iv had 2 rears go on mine and it stinks   

• Like 1
  • Clap Hands 1

• Moderators
3 hours ago, Brett said:

Also check the temperature of your disks if hot but go carefully as if pads are sticking it will take the skin off your fingers.

You would smell a seizure on the caliper TBO as Iv had 2 rears go on mine and it stinks   

Good thinking Brett! ^^^^^

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Founding Member

I drive the car every days Brett, only do 10 miles a day to work and back usually. I’m leaning towards fronts bearings, when doing say 30 mph and I put it into neutral, the noise is still there.  Nothing when I stop, engine purrs as usual.  So it’s something connected to the wheel.  It could be a loose stone, unlikely to be pads I think as Stu changed them 12 months ago.  Or it could be something completely different.

All I know is that it sounds like a bag of nails when driving.

I’ve got lots of things happening at the moment, new three piece suite coming tomorrow, sanding skirting boards as decorator is coming a week Saturday.  I’m home from work in the week at 6pm when it’s dark so no time to do car stuff, unfortunately. 🙁

in any event, I’m popping over to Stu’s tomorrow night after work, pretty sure he will know what it is after driving it for a mile or two.  

• Like 2

• Founding Member

odds on then bud a stone 

I had it once in my 7th gen and the noise was terrible.

Stu will sort you out buddy 

• Like 3

• Administrators

Well, Geoff popped by earlier and after inspecting all the obvious things, 95% sure its the front N.S wheel bearing and after a bit of searching the genuine part is only £130 ish. So not worth messing around with imported aftermarket parts IMO, will see what COX's come up with price wise...

• Like 2

• The title was changed to Weird Noise When Driving 2008 Legend 3.5L V6 "WHEEL BEARING"
  • Founding Member

Well, I got home last night from work, kissed Mrs Geoff and said ‘Just popping to Stu’s.’  30 minutes later, driving through the rain, I arrived at Honda HQ and took Stu for a drive.  By this time I was pretty sure it was the wheel bearing, either that or I was suddenly driving a Tiger tank in Branston!  The noise was immediately noticeable by Stu.  

So we drove back, Stu did a check to see if anything was getting hot on the wheel, tyre etc. Nothing. So Stu whipped out his mighty trolley jack and quickly had the wheel off, in the rain.  Nothing was jumping out, nothing appeared to be rubbing, the disc was fine, as were the pads and calliper, nothing was rubbing on either the disc or the wheel.  The analysis was that it’s highly likely to be the wheel bearing.  Stu said he would get on it and I advised him the VIN number etc to start the ball rolling on sourcing the bearing.  I was already sweating thinking that the part would cost a trillion pounds and would take months to arrive.  He told me not to drive any distances and don’t drive fast until it’s fixed.  🥺

i texted Stu when I got home as he asked, just to make sure I made it.  He then called me to say that although he found some, they were the cheaper ones and wouldn’t recommend them.  He suggested I contact Cox Motor Parts as they are able to source genuine Honda parts relatively cheaply.  Therefore in my lunch hour I emailed them and amazingly they can source a genuine Honda bearing for £117.07 including delivery!  The part is on order and should arrive around 13th Dec.

So mystery solved.  My only hope is that the bearing holds out until Stu can fit it.  I am driving like a vicar at the moment I can tell you!

Thanks again to Stu for messing around in rain last night!  😊

• Like 3
  • Clap Hands 1

• Administrators
14 minutes ago, Lennie Legend said:

Thanks again to Stu for messing around in rain last night!  😊

Thankfully it's not the silent but deadly bearing failure, which is no noise just an occasional wobble, then if not noticed eventually the wheel will go bouching off in front of you eeeeeeeek

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1

• Founding Member

I’m hoping Stu it will hold out for a couple of weeks driving tentatively everywhere, ie 30 MPH or less.  Presumably if / when it does decide to pack in the wheel will stop turning....or bounce down the road in front of the car.  At least it will be on someone’s dash cam footage somewhere! 😁

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

• Moderators
37 minutes ago, Lennie Legend said:

I am driving like a vicar at the moment I can tell you!

Please don't drive like a vicar Geoff! :o:P

Last vicar i saw driving was about 30 years ago, had no spatial awareness so bounced off almost every car he passed. Sold it to the local Mother Superior when he was done by the local fuzz for Drunk in Charge and banned from driving for 2 years.

The Mother Superior was more myopic than the vicar but thankfully more sober - most of the time! She still managed to get intimate with most of the cars around her though! :o

17 minutes ago, Lennie Legend said:

hold out for a couple of weeks driving tentatively everywhere, ie 30 MPH or less.

It should hold out Geoff but if it starts wobbling excessively you'll probably have to call a recovery service (Stu?) once you get it stopped. Don't be tempted to hit the brakes hard if it's wobbling, just come gently off the loud pedal (minimise shock through the driveshafts) and gently apply the brakes just to minimise the wobble and let it slow down naturally - the thing you want to avoid is any sudden "snatchy" reactions that could precipitate a catastrophic reaction.

When the N/S/F  wheel bearing went on my 827 Coupe, it sounded like a had a supercharger from about 30mph upwards! :P  It would go quiet on left hand bends because the weight transfer from cornering would put all the weight on the drivers side.

• Like 2

• Founding Member

Thanks for the tips Dave.  As you would expect, I’ve not driven Lennie much today as I’ve been up to my armpits in bits of wallpaper, I’ve literally not long finished. The joys of having a 30’ lounge!  So Lennie has been parked up resting, waiting for his new bearing to arrive.  

• Like 2

• Founding Member

I’m not wallpapering Dave, we’ve got a decorator coming next Sat/Sun to put the paper up.  15 rolls at £22 a roll!  😯

No, I’ve been stripping all the old nasty Anaglypta off with a steamer.  Blooming hard work I can tell you.  Today will be spent sanding down the final 10 feet of skirting board.  Then Thursday we have a new suite coming, so fun and games at the moment.  This time next week we should be relatively straight. Oh and I had to physically cut up the old three piece with a bow saw and take it to the tip as the charity I was giving it too wouldn’t take it due to a couple of broken springs!  That was fun too.  

Anyway, today I need to pop out in Lennie...no driving above 30 and delicate braking is the order of the day!  I’m just hoping the bearing holds out although apparently they can make noise for months and years until they eventually fail.  I’m with the RAC and hopefully I won’t need to call them!  ☹️

• Moderators
4 hours ago, Lennie Legend said:

No, I’ve been stripping all the old nasty Anaglypta off with a steamer.  Blooming hard work I can tell you.

About 15 years ago, in the middle of a very hot summer, i did the same - it was woodchip wallpaper as well! The only room that didn't have it was the bathroom and because of how the stairs/landing was arranged, i decided to leave that bit but 3 bedrooms, a large lounge (16x12', not as big as yours but big enough!) and a similar sized kitchen all stripped, filled and painted in 3 days, plus moving in all the stuff as well.

Charity shops are way too fussy (and expensive!) these days. They want stuff that's virtually new so they can sell it at top dollar, just to line the pockets of the charitys directors. When you see these directors of various charities on tv, they're not wearing George, Florence & Fred or Tu clthing, they're in in Armani, Gucci and so on, driving brand new Merc, BMs etc and not 18 year old clapped out Daewoos. That's where the moeny from charities goes!

• Haha 1

• Founding Member

Easy does it chaps...driving Lennie Legend Like Miss Daisy at the moment, treating the brakes like glass and not gone over 30 MPH so far.  Noise is definitely there although it subsides when I reduce speed.  No steering wheel wobble yet, will park Lennie up at the weekend and use the wife’s CRV, just to give him a rest.  Come on Lennie, hang on in there!  Not long now until your lovely new bearing arrives....🥺

• Like 2

• Founding Member

Good news...had an email earlier from Cox’s to advise the bearing is arriving earlier than planned, it should be with me Monday, fingers crossed. The weight on the invoice is just over 11 lbs! 😯  Don’t think they’ll get that through my letterbox so I’ve asked for it to be dropped off at my neighbours. Quite relieved it’s arrived early before I do any catastrophic damage although I am driving gingerly. 

• Like 3