Subscriptions & Donations ×

2008 Honda Lengend KB1 Snow Mode

Mazda Man

• Founding Member

Morning all, it was a tad nippy last night with some snow and both Lennie Legend and Herbie Herbster we’re covered  

A17_C5191-_AA3_D-4_B75-_B54_C-393795_A5_

After scraping I thought I would try Snow Mode:

1_A44436_A-_FD04-4_E40-_B249-_F1_D1_A1_E

Yes, it did make a difference on the slippery side roads. Car was lovely and toasty in no time too. 

• Like 2

• Moderators

So what does "snow mode" actually do?

Restrict revs?

keep gears higher at low road speed?

enable some sort of alb /traction control enhancement !??

or give you wings, Mr Bond, to fly over the snow..??.. with the equipment level you posted previously it would't surprise me:lol:

oh, and, "toasty"... both side I presume? top and "bottom" !

• Haha 2

• The title was changed to 2008 Honda Lengend KB1 Snow Mode
  • Moderators

Second gear and witchcraft a-plenty i believe Geoff!

Could be wrong but i think in Snow mode it puts about 70% of the torque to the rear wheels to further reduce wheelspin and also has Traction Control that (in most systems) uses the ABS to lock a wheel that is spinning.

Thing is it does all of this so quickly that as a driver you probably don't even realise what's happening - more witchcraft! It's not even Samhein either! ;):D

• Like 1

• 2 years later...
  • Site Subscriber’s

I read that it locks the diff's to allow torque to be shared equally to both wheels on the same axle and is limited to a maximum speed of about 50mph or so. Must do a whole lot more though, I'd say.

Speaking from a very recent experience, it works brilliantly propelling one forward in a straight line but cornering is still very precarious. Think probably due to my lack of experience with ATM and no handbrake!

• Like 1

• Moderators

Since my last post here re the legend I acquired  a 2004 Elysion with  "snow mode" but I have never used it, snow tends to be scarce here !!

I presume it locks it in second and in conjuction with the abs / stability assist / traction control does the business 😃 bearing in mind the Elysion is front wheel drive too.

Unfortunately I have nothing else to go on as the English owners manual does not exist and the Janglish version is exactly that!!!

• Like 1

• Founding Member

The Lexus version of this pulls off in second and changes up through the box quickly to keep the revs low, I'm not sure what it does to the power distribution as i'm not sure my RX is sophisticated enough to have torque vectoring.

Mine also disables the ABS so you don't get pulsing when you apply the brake in snowy conditions.

• Like 2
  • Clap Hands 1