Subscriptions & Donations ×

Accord Coupe Rear Window Smashed "REPLACEMENT"

PaulS

• Founding Member

Seems my Coupe is destined to get internally wet - today the rear screen got smashed ......just as it had dried out from the leaky sunroof drain hose repair.... 

Bit of a freaky accident as pliers I did not know I had in my overalls pocket fell out as I was fixing the TV aerial on the house roof - then bounced off the drainpipe and lept sideways about 10 yards onto the car I had (I thought) moved out of the way .... and landed metal side down on the rear screen.... how lucky....

Seems rear screens are a tad difficult to source, the glass folk are scouring the land - so be warned - look after yours!

• Sad 4

• Founding Member

Apparently Autoglass has found one somewhere but it will be next Thursday before it is delivered to them and (assuming it arrives and is correct!!) it will be fitted next Friday...  God knows where it comes from if it takes a week, but as long as it comes and is correct.......

• Like 2

• Founding Member
On 02/11/2017 at 10:00 PM, PaulS said:

Seems my Coupe is destined to get internally wet - today the rear screen got smashed ......just as it had dried out from the leaky sunroof drain hose repair.... 

Bit of a freaky accident as pliers I did not know I had in my overalls pocket fell out as I was fixing the TV aerial on the house roof - then bounced off the drainpipe and lept sideways about 10 yards onto the car I had (I thought) moved out of the way .... and landed metal side down on the rear screen.... how lucky....

Seems rear screens are a tad difficult to source, the glass folk are scouring the land - so be warned - look after yours!

Sorry to hear that mate......how unlucky! Let's hope Autoglass sourced the right one. Good luck 

• Like 2

• The title was changed to Accord Coupe Rear Window Smashed "REPLACEMENT"
  • Founding Member

I now have a nice new rear screen.  Autoglass brought a genuine Honda part, arrived on time, and did a neat fitting and cleanup job.  God knows what it cost overall, I had claimed on my insurance and paid my £75 excess.  For sure it will have cost much more than that fitted.... it took the guy 2 hrs +. 

Do be warned that Honda screens do not come with a new trim, nor plastic bits for around the aerial connectors.  My guy checked as soon as he saw the job and found new trim was supposedly not available so it is advisable to save your trim - and warn the fitter in advance.....

As the rear screen was not laminated and scattered everywhere, despite the grreat hoovering up job, I will now no doubt "enjoy" finding various small bits of glass for the next n years.....

• Like 1

• Moderators
20 minutes ago, PaulS said:

I now have a nice new rear screen.  Autoglass brought a genuine Honda part, arrived on time, and did a neat fitting and cleanup job.  God knows what it cost overall, I had claimed on my insurance and paid my £75 excess.  For sure it will have cost much more than that fitted.... it took the guy 2 hrs +. 

Do be warned that Honda screens do not come with a new trim, nor plastic bits for around the aerial connectors.  My guy checked as soon as he saw the job and found new trim was supposedly not available so it is advisable to save your trim - and warn the fitter in advance.....

As the rear screen was not laminated and scattered everywhere, despite the grreat hoovering up job, I will now no doubt "enjoy" finding various small bits of glass for the next n years.....

Excellent !

Watertight again :D

Interestingly the trim problem seems to exist across a number of cars when I have spoken to their owners (as you do !) recently... my S2000 front screen (obviously :lol:) was the same and the existing trim was salvaged....

apparently when they are available as "copies" they are Crap with a capital "C" :rolleyes:

• Like 1

• Moderators
24 minutes ago, PaulS said:

As the rear screen was not laminated and scattered everywhere, despite the grreat hoovering up job, I will now no doubt "enjoy" finding various small bits of glass for the next n years

and the moral here is get someone else to do your aerials !!!:lol:

• Haha 1

• Founding Member

and the moral here is get someone else to do your aerials !!!:lol:  mmm I seem to have thought of that very shortly after hearing the pliers slide down the roof followed by the bang.....  Still. it would have only moved the fix payer......

Next time???? I will move the car totally out of the way!

• Like 1

• Founding Member

Good luck hoovering up the glass, you'll be doing that for years!  Literally. I had a smashed side window once and found glass years later, under the seat, under the mats, under everywhere in fact.  

Glad you're now waterproof and sorted though. 

• Like 1