Subscriptions & Donations ×

New Accord V6 newbie

kag8

Hi everyone,

Just picked up my new old Honda Accoord 3000cc V6 today! Buzzing!

It's a 2000 model

I owned the 7th gen for a year a couple of years ago and loved that car, it was the exec version with inbuilt sat nav, leather etc. Sold it to get a hatchback to share with my Mrs and to have more boot space for baby pram etc (7th gen boot was too flat). She hardly drove the new car though so I was stuck reminiscing of the VTEC days. After watching countless CRVs (which the Mrs wanted me to get) on eBay with ridiculous mileage go for slightly above my budget...I thought what the heck let me just get an accord. So I started watching the 7th gen accords but couldn't bring myself to pay more than what I sold mine for! Wasn't a fan of the 4 door 6th gen either so that was out of the picture...but then I came across the coupe!

TBH I dismissed it at first thinking it was tiny in the back, kinda like the Prelude, but I read somewhere its just a saloon minus 2 doors. Found one in dark silver not too far from me, spoke to the seller, HPI check, checked it out, test drive, etc, and finally bought it! :D

I can't insure it until the end of the month but already so excited. Really want to make it my own. Have attached a picture, taken quickly as had to rush back to work.

I have loads of questions and requests for suggestions. Shall I list them here or try and post each in relevant category/existing threads where possible?

COUPE.jpg

• Like 3

Thanks!

There was a blue one on autotrader which piqued my interest over the past weekend, white (not cream) interior, reverse sensors, etc. But before I could ring up to enquire the ad got pulled. Not sure if it sold or ad just expired.

Your's looks sweeeet!

• Like 1

Thanks for the warm welcome fellas!

Just compiling a to do list:

1. Tints!

2. Wind deflectors

3. Remove the misleading TypeS badge on the boot.

4. Demist/defog the drivers side headight as it's all fogged up. Has anyone done this? Any tips? It looks like oxidation on the outside, hopefully not from the inside.

5. Repair the key fob as it only unlocks, doesn't lock doors :( also the key on the fob doesnt turn the locks or starter, does this point towards the fact that the fob isn't actually for this specific car? Odd. Any ideas on how to repair or where I can send it in to be repaired?

6. The car was involved in a parking lot incident it appears, so the left side of the rear bumper is slightly loose (broken clips?) and there is some paint that's come off. I therefore need to touch up the paint - color code paint from halfords should do the trick? I recall seeing a thread maybe on this forum with a step by step. Will perform a search.

7. Buff, polish and wax...Hopefully it should get rid of the few scratches around.

8. When I find them, fit DC3 rims. The current ones look too ordinary for my taste. What's the ride like on 17s?

9. Put that "ACCORD" sticker on the rear brake light, as seen on another thread. Any idea where to purchase? Can't find on eBay. Will probably pose this question on the specific thread in due course.

10. Upgrade lights to Xenon/HID. Not sure of the terminology but just want whitish headlights. What's the best bang for back method of upgrading these?

11. Loud(er) exhaust on the cheap. Just spent the better part of tonight reading up on pre-muffler delete. Should be easy enough for slight gains in sound??

12. MAYBE vinyl wrap the bonnet, still researching on the best kind, costs, etc. Any tips appreciated.

This is becoming more of a wish list than a to do list!

I'm confused what colour scheme to go for, torn between just sticking on white rims and leaving it at that but really tempted to plastidip whichever rims i settle on to Gold and then ofcourse gold tips, gold badges to complete the look. Seen a prelude with this colour scheme plus carbon fiber bonnet, looks niice!

From a mechanical point of view, it drove quite well although havent done many miles as yet. Just noted at the last service previous owner used fully synthetic 5w/30 oil. Have read elsewhere others getting better mpgs with 10w30. What oil is recommended?

Glad to report that the timing belt was done 8k miles ago, all aux belts, water pump, etc were changed too. So no annoying squeels yet.

I'll also be monitoring my ATF fluid, it looked pinkish enough when I first checked it and couldnt feel any discernible jerks or difficulties changing gears. Again though I havent done many miles yet.

Anything else from mechanical perspective I should check out/monitor?

Any tips or suggestions for my to do/wish list?

• Like 3

• Moderators

1. Nice idea - there's several members want the same so there was talk of a multiple tinitng session with a discount for several cars being done at once, not sure what happened on that though.

2. Another nice idea - not sure if wind deflectors are available or even if the could be fitted - no frame round the windows to fit them to?

3. Good idea!

4. There are kits available on ebay, Halfrauds etc to do this

5. Stu (Hughezee) better able to advise on that one!

6. Ditto 5

7. Got to be done - plenty of pictures please!

9. I think that was a one-off made my a member, not sure if he's still on here.

10. Have a look through the "What have you done to your coupe today" thread. Bill (Mangoman) has some Xenon-look halogen bulbs that he's recommended to others and all have reported improvements. Proper Xenon/HID bulbs are almost certainly available and probably a worthwhile upgrade but give the ones Bill has found a try first.

11. Depends how loud you want to go. Also the exhaust is quite an important part of how well the car runs so you may find it sounds ok but is gutless and drinks like a rugby team drowning their sorrows after losing a big match.

12. Down to personal taste really.

The other stuff - 10W30 or 10W40 seems to be the best grade in either synth or semi-synth and genuine Honda oil filters if possible. For non genuine filters i tend to go for Fram or Cooper, Mann filters also seem ok - most of these are stocked by ECP :

http://www.eurocarparts.com/

They were doing a "BOGOF" deal today on oil but i think the deal has finished now.

As for the anything else to advise, keep an eye on everything until you get to know the car, i'd say make sure everything is mechanically spot-on before spending your dosh on upgrades/add-ons etc, it's no good having the best looking breakdown in the world! ;):D

• Like 3

• Moderators

Hi and welcome from another fairly newbie :D

Just got mine this year, 1st February in fact and made up too!

Also got a seventh gen tourer so I know where you are coming from when you considered another. ;)

The crew on this forum are the best and there are some great threads on here , i am still reading loads with some excellent advice on., well worth taking it too!

Like you, I had a load of things on the to do list including things like wheels, lights etc, and I am still at it, this car is more old school than 7th gen but still gives the feeling of luxury as you waft along!

• Like 2

Hi. I think thats why i named this thread new newbie lol. Seems a few of us have caught on to the coupe recently. What bits have you got done from your to do list so far?

Compared with the 7th gen i think the 2 things ill miss the most are the sat nav and tiptronic shifter. The autowipers were slick too. But for a 17yr old car the coupe is ridiculously kitted out.

@Laird_Scooby thanks for taking the time to respond in detail.

I found these wind deflectors:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/181936513056

Have messaged the seller to confirm whether they will fit or not. Looks like its got some overdoor hanger type of hooks.

As for tinting. A group buy would be a fantastic way for me to meet everyone else. Whereabouts do you guys normally meet? Anyway this idea might be resurrected? I might turn up with tints anyway as the el cheapo tints guy near where i live does a decent job anyway on the...you guessed it, cheap!

Ofcourse the mechanical aspect is the main thing and i always go through this initial enthusiasm to aesthetically mod my cars but a couple of weeks in and i think stop wasting money! Lol. So if i do bring myself to spending on these we shall see...

I'll check out the bulbs suggested and order the correct oil next time its on offer.

:D

Oh has anyone got rid of the front registration plate holder? I just think it would look much better if the plate was slapped on to the car directly although the front bumper is curved so thats probably why Honda installed the holder...

• Like 3

• Moderators
39 minutes ago, kag8 said:

Hi. I think thats why i named this thread new newbie lol. Seems a few of us have caught on to the coupe recently. What bits have you got done from your to do list so far?

Compared with the 7th gen i think the 2 things ill miss the most are the sat nav and tiptronic shifter. The autowipers were slick too. But for a 17yr old car the coupe is ridiculously kitted out.

Oh has anyone got rid of the front registration plate holder? I just think it would look much better if the plate was slapped on to the car directly although the front bumper is curved so thats probably why Honda installed the holder...

Made some good inroads into the list, like you I get a list that inludes stuff I really shouldn't spend money on :D

Done headlights using the £7 a set delivered lamps !  Refurbed wheels, working on centres, fluids changed and correct 004 oil filter on. P/S fluid change under way, seems to improve the steering input, new tyres, new exhaust tips, paintwork was a big clean up job and still ongoing... changed all interior lamps for led, not dash though. Seat bolster repair started and just waiting on opportunity to change gearbox fluid, well part change as recommended on this forum.

Yeah, seventh gen got all the toys, well my exec version seems to have but the coupe is not far behind, i think i even like having knobs for the heater radio etc instead of the touch screen, yes auto wipers missed..but what the heck I can manage to turn them on when I see it raining :rolleyes::P

keep looking at the front number plate holder too, wondered about removing it and putting plate on bumper directly...its an ugly thing isn't it :(

• Like 2

• Founding Member

Hello Newbie and welcome to to the best HAC site ever! 

You will find the answer you any question that you may have on this forum as you will eventually establish after a browse. Look forward to you sharing your hints and tips with us too.

Enjoy your new coupe.....you will love the drive, the driving position and course the power of the vtec V6. 

Good luck with the list of things to do.

Ps lovely colour! 

• Like 4

• Moderators

In case you haven't found it yet :

That should (if the link has worked) go to page 13 of the thread where the lighting bits are, they carry on to page 14 and you should find the links to the headlamp bulbs and also LED sidelight bulbs. ;):D

• Like 2

13 hours ago, kag8 said:

Thanks for the warm welcome fellas!

Just compiling a to do list:

1. Tints!

2. Wind Deflectors.

11. Loud(er) exhaust on the cheap. Just spent the better part of tonight reading up on pre-muffler delete. Should be easy enough for slight gain in sound...

Any tips or suggestions for my to do/wish list?

And can point out some choices here.

Wind Deflectors. EBay item. 380473290923.

Tints. EBay item. 222428143512. (Like on my car).

Exhausts. EBay item. 121580274514. Obviously some welding modifications will needed.

Good luck.

• Moderators
20 minutes ago, Mangoman said:

And can point out some choices here.

Wind Deflectors. EBay item. 380473290923.

Tints. EBay item. 222428143512. (Like on my car).

Exhausts. EBay item. 121580274514. Obviously some welding modifications will needed.

Good luck.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CLIMAIR-Car-Wind-Deflectors-HONDA-ACCORD-COUPE-1998-1999-2000-2001-2002-FRONT-/380473290923?hash=item5895f9b0ab:g:vsEAAMXQpr9SM4wC

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2047675.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.TRS0&_nkw=222428143512&_sacat=0

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hornet-Universal-Sports-Backbox-3-Round-Stainless-Steel-Tailpipe-/121580274514?hash=item1c4ebfc352:g:0EAAAOSwpDdU7c7P

Links added Bill! ;):D

• Like 1

5 hours ago, PTR200S said:

Done headlights using the £7 a set delivered lamps !  Refurbed wheels, working on centres, fluids changed and correct 004 oil filter on. P/S fluid change under way, seems to improve the steering input, new tyres, new exhaust tips, paintwork was a big clean up job and still ongoing... changed all interior lamps for led, not dash though. Seat bolster repair started and just waiting on opportunity to change gearbox fluid, well part change as recommended on this forum.

keep looking at the front number plate holder too, wondered about removing it and putting plate on bumper directly...its an ugly thing isn't it :(

That's good progress! I was wondering about the steering wheel, as it did feel kind of heavy to turn. Did the p/s fluid change make a noticeable difference?

Yeah the front plate holder is disgusting! Mine came with a chrome surround but that makes it protrude and stand out even more :(

• Like 2

3 hours ago, AhsyV6 said:

Hello Newbie and welcome to to the best HAC site ever! 

You will find the answer you any question that you may have on this forum as you will eventually establish after a browse. Look forward to you sharing your hints and tips with us too.

Enjoy your new coupe.....you will love the drive, the driving position and course the power of the vtec V6. 

Good luck with the list of things to do.

Ps lovely colour! 

I will be sure to share any tips I come across although tbh I think I have a lot to learn from you guys!

It's my fav colour so that kind of swayed me into buying it :D

Now my dilemma is what colour rims! Some reason I think gold would look good, kinda like this prelude, but might play it safe with white (which may also look odd and is a mission to keep clean).

Which one have you got?

Where/when's the next meet?!

poopoo010.jpg

• Like 2

@Laird_Scooby

@Mangoman

Thanks for the links!

I ended up ordering these deflectors as seller confirmed should fit and were cheaper than the Climair ones! Item ID: 181936513056

As for tints, I can't risk doing it myself as I'm really bad at even sticking on phone screen protectors!

Cheers for the muffler link, the forums I was reading were quoting Magnaflow ones which are so expensive here! I think I'll do Stage 1 for now i.e. pre-muffler delete, and if that's not enough sound then fit the mufflers you linked to. :D

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Mangoman said:

Thanks Dave.

My main Internet is down at the moment. Happens every month around this time and for some reason I couldn't copy and paste the links on my cellphone so had to just write down the item numbers... ?

Thats true dedication!

• Like 1

• Moderators

You're welcome Bill - my internet is still playing up and to add insult to injury they just charged me nearly £200 for an engineers visit that didn't resolve the problem! :angry:

Suffering a mental block at the moment - the doors on the Coupé are frameless aren't they? I know the previous gen were frameless and pretty sure these are as well?

• Founding Member
2 hours ago, kag8 said:

I will be sure to share any tips I come across although tbh I think I have a lot to learn from you guys!

It's my fav colour so that kind of swayed me into buying it :D

Now my dilemma is what colour rims! Some reason I think gold would look good, kinda like this prelude, but might play it safe with white (which may also look odd and is a mission to keep clean).

Which one have you got?

Where/when's the next meet?!

poopoo010.jpg

I've pasted a post of stateside coupes with ideas that may float your boat. 

Personally if I had to choose between white or gold wheels then I'd go gold....cross spoke polished deep dish edge. Just an opinion;)

The meet date hasn't been agreed yet but watch this space.

I've stuck with original 17" Honda wheels made by Motegi refurbed with a shadow chrome powder coated finish. I have then removed the centre cover to expose the closed chrome nuts with a curved chrome on black Honda badge. Then finished with a chrome valve sleeve and Honda logo chrome valve cap.

image.thumb.jpeg.b945641326178419710979e685798e7d.jpeg

• Like 4

@AhsyV6 your coupe looks amazing! Love the wheels! I have been looking for similar but I think right now buying new rims and then 17inch tyres would be too much so considering 5 stud prelude rims 16inchers so I can reuse my current tyres. Just I know 17s would look so much better!

Let me know if I can part exchange my rims with yours :P lol jk

• Like 3

• Founding Member

Thanks mate.

just a quick browse finds you the wheels below. The first lot off a 4 foot accord in need of some tlc and new tires soon. After a Refurb costing £220ish and you selling yours for about £100 you could have a have a new set of wheels for £320ish. There's a post on here with tyres from Davanti that's got very good reviews so far. 

The wheels at the bottom are singles but you could buy and collect  them over a period of time and then do the Refurb when you have a complete set and you're ready to. 

http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/HONDA-ACCORD-TYPE-S-4-X-17-ENKEI-PENTA-ALLOY-WHEELS-AND-TYRES-225-45-R17-/132075058984?hash=item1ec0497728%3Ag%3AVGAAAOSwUKxYh-7M&_trkparms=pageci%3A29ba29f4-0a7f-11e7-a7dd-74dbd1800acc%7Cparentrq%3Ad89a940a15a0a2ab85646719ffff36c1%7Ciid%3A18

http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/ALLOY-WHEELS-TYRE-225-55-17-FOR-HONDA-ACCORD-2-4-i-VTECH-TYPE-S-2003-2007-/172331544423?hash=item281fc2af67%3Ag%3AN1MAAOSwOdpXzfFp&_trkparms=pageci%3A29ba29f4-0a7f-11e7-a7dd-74dbd1800acc%7Cparentrq%3Ad89a940a15a0a2ab85646719ffff36c1%7Ciid%3A16

• Like 3