Subscriptions & Donations ×

Honda Accord Head Lights Halogen vs HID vs LED

Pr1ths

• 4 weeks later...
  • Founding Member

Another fantastic day at Honda HQ and great to catch up with Stu and Nicky and Geoff with Lenny.

LED headlights now fitted so will take  some photos up tonight when it dark.

I forgot my light meter but had one on my iPhone and the lux level was slightly more than my after market HIDS.

• Like 4

• Moderators
8 hours ago, Laird_Scooby said:

Looking forward to the night time pics of the LED headlamps beams Brett! ;):D

Tricky doing them in the day time ? 

Quite right though, Brett , get those pictures up   !!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• Founding Member

Great seeing you and Stu yesterday Brett, the lights look coolio.  Be interesting if you could post up a vid from say a dash cam of the beam etc on a dark road.  By the way, I got a clay mitt and used it earlier on the wife’s Civic.  You were right, amazing result.  Check out the thread.  

You finally met Lennie too, what did you think of him?

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
  • Founding Member

Just an update on the new led

They passed with a perfect light beam on the mot.

Also took the car out in a dark lane the other night and the light output is very good.

Not as good as my after market hids but better than halogen lamps.

• Like 3

• Moderators

Seriously good news Brett! :D

Something to bear in mind is that while the LED bulbs may not appear as bright, they actually put more usable light onto the road. The simple reason for this is the LEDs in the bulb are small and configured to replicate the original filament that the reflector and lens were designed for.

The HID bulbs are more of a simple "light source" in as much as they aren't such a focused light source, As such they can produce "light scatter" which lights up in places the original halogen bulb wouldn't have done. This makes them seem brighter than the LED replacements but both put more usable light onto the road. ;):D

• Like 1

• Founding Member

Very true.

Also the led lamps are probably a lot more friendly to oncoming traffic.

Although Iv nether been flashed with with my hids.

Maybe because I have projectile lenses fitted.

• Like 3

• Moderators

The lenses will help! Depending on the colour temperature, HIDs can be nasty when they're coming at you, the best i've found is 6000K, closest to natural sunlight so is easier on the drivers eyes as well as that of oncoming traffic. ;):D

• Moderators
32 minutes ago, Brett said:

Very true.

Also the led lamps are probably a lot more friendly to oncoming traffic.

Although Iv nether been flashed with with my hids.

Maybe because I have projectile lenses fitted.

The current crop of led headlights from some of the bavarian ilk are a pain in the , erm, eyes! . either coming at you or whilst sat up your backside at traffic lights. Mind you, the range rover crowd are bad too.

Are you related to a certain mr bond ?  Projectile lenses !   ??

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Hi Brett

As I'm still finding my way around here I have already started a thread on this exact subject.

Then I found your posting ! 

I read through it with increasing excitement only to be left in suspense. Like the last page of a who-done-it was missing !

Please tell me did the Philips Lumileds live up to your expectations or were they an expensive disappointment ?

Thanks Jon

• Like 2

• Moderators
9 minutes ago, PTR200S said:

Brett did say that the light output was very good, better than halogen but not as good as HID so I presume he likes them !  ?

Thanks Pete - i missed that i think! I suspect where the LED directs the light better than the HIDs (which can be a bit prone to "light-scatter") they may not seem so good but are directing more useful light where it needs to be. ;):D

• Like 1

• The title was changed to Honda Accord Head Lights Halogen vs HID vs LED
  • The topic was pinned