Subscriptions & Donations ×

Exhaust tips, yes or no

PTR200S

• Moderators
1 hour ago, hughezee said:

There is a curve on the coupes rear silencer protruding tail pipe(s), so I would recommend one a little shorter maybe, good price though ;)

Good point, thanks, just checking on the next size up now and also the length of the pipe, how far out could I get a way with?  

Don't want them to stick out too far, too chavvy,:rolleyes: but I could get away with a bit more than the current length of standard pipe

• Like 2

I dunno.... 60mm (the 2nd listing) is quite small on such a large car. In fact it is one thing that actually looks far too diminutive for such a large car with a relatively big engine.

It would certainly be the smallest size I would fit if I had a standard system. Personally I think 70mm would look far better! ;)

• Founding Member

I must say Bill your signature pic ^^^^ is great.  Lovely. 

On mine, the end of the exhaust pipe to the end of the tip is only about an inch..  When fitted, if you stand where your number plate is and look down, you should see the ends protruding past the bottom of the bumper.  

• Like 2

Thank you sir, you're too kind.... :) 

Yes, yours look cool Geoff, but the standard exhaust pipes/tips/trims I think are far too small a diameter. In fact they look a bit silly on such a formidable car, almost like an afterthought. Sorry.

I think a diameter of around 3" would have looked much better, which is about the standard size of cars today.

Also I think they should have been recessed into the Bumper slightly. Either that of have them hidden from view completely behind the Bumper and pointed downwards.

ps. What is the EU Symbol on your number plate?

I presume we'll have to all get new ones fitted soon with no EU Symbol at all.... :D 

• Moderators

Hmm, perhaps I should cut the exit pipe hole larger and weld in a bucket, minus handle of course ! :D

Seriously, thanks for the input, going to have a think before I rush off and buy some pipes....... wonder if I could fit a bypass to the silencer?

• Like 1

What, the Centre Silencer?

If it is is proves quite expensive after you have bought the Bypass valve with electrically operated Solenoid and required piping. Most probably looking at £200.00 +. Just not worth it.

Better to buy something like these and replace the Rear Silencers. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/121580274514?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

This is what I have fitted which apparently cost the previous owner about £270.00

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HONDA-ACCORD-V6-DUAL-STAINLESS-STEEL-CATBACK-EXHAUST-SYSTEM-4-5-MUFFLER-TIPS-/200918069398?hash=item2ec7a67096:g:ymYAAOSw1XdUWayi

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderators

No not the centre one !, haven't looked yet but if the rear silencers have a similar pipe setup to the S2000 then the "UK bypass" method could be deployed, involving cutting and welding a crosspipe in.....

Anyway have ordered these in the end, for the ends, if you see what I mean!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/151881666067?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Edit, it would appear that the only option to modify the rear silencer is to slice it open and sleeve it. Just been looking at US exhuast suppliers...they are for nothing really...its just the barstewarding import tax that's the killer:angry:

• Like 1

Concerning the tips, the diameter is good but I think they might be a bit short, I would try and find something that more or less goes from where the tailpipe leaves the Silencer and covers the total length of the tailpipe itself. Or as near as...

Otherwise you'll be left with a nice shiny tip hanging on the end of the existing pipe.

This video will give you an idea of what I'm trying to explain. Of course your will be different to the one shown. But it gives the appearence that the tailpipe is extending from the back of the Silencer... 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=chP0X9lqCMU

Of course it is personal preference in the end, but it's what I would do.

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Mangoman said:

Concerning the tips, the diameter is good but I think they might be a bit short, I would try and find something that more or less goes from where the tailpipe leaves the Silencer and covers the total length of the tailpipe itself. Or as near as...

Otherwise you'll be left with a nice shiny tip hanging on the end of the existing pipe.

This video will give you an idea of what I'm trying to explain. Of course your will be different to the one shown. But it gives the appearence that the tailpipe is extending from the back of the Silencer... 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=chP0X9lqCMU

Of course it is personal preference in the end, but it's what I would do.

I understand what you say, the existing pipe is 140mm long including the tip and the new finishers are 110mm (size wise what Stu said :D) but the idea was to cut off the end tip of the existing pipe, 20/30mm, to make sure the finisher fitted close to the silencer box and of course doesn't stick out too far from the bumper. Anyway, if it doesn't work its not a total loss of serious money;)

If I had been that bloke on the vid I wouldn't have even bothered putting a finisher on that box. :wacko: The car/fourby has one tail pipe that turns downwards and had to be cut off, looked to be about an inch and a half diameter and he was putting on a three inch finisher! :lol: talk about a tart!

Not only that but it was those crappy two stage finishers that makes it look like a secondary pipe stuck on rather than, as you say, a complete pipe to the box. On top of that he ended up cutting out bits and it was still on skewed when he finished it! :rolleyes:

• Like 1

• Moderators
3 hours ago, Mangoman said:

I hear what you are saying, it was just to try to illustrate what I was going on about... ;) It was the only one that I could find quickly enough.

But anyway, I think you got the gist of what I meant. :)

Yep, that's great, thank you :D

• Like 2

• Moderators
On 2/11/2017 at 9:04 PM, Mangoman said:

Most I've seen in photo's have a slanted end, or slashed...

Something like these, or simular???

Or these:  http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RACING-STAINLESS-STEEL-CHROME-ROUND-EXHAUST-TAIL-REAR-TIP-MUFFLER-PIPE-UK-STOCK-/151881666067?hash=item235cda4e13:g:4zAAAOSweuxWQ0vb

These are the ones I bought but they look wrong now, in the pic you can see what appears to be the existing pipe inside the outer shell.... its not !

They look great outside but this is another pipe inside the outer that extends half way down the 110mm length and effectively stops the existing pipe from going any further down... best avoided for the coupes!!! :rolleyes:

• Like 2

• Moderators

Personally, I think the first one will look better - but I do like both to be honest. Yeah, the top one for £6-odd... Funnily enough it was this type that I was going to suggest but I thought not everyone thinks like I do.... 

I actually hate suggesting things that are really up to personal taste because it invariably goes wrong..... :(

• Moderators
4 hours ago, Mangoman said:

Personally, I think the first one will look better - but I do like both to be honest. Yeah, the top one for £6-odd... Funnily enough it was this type that I was going to suggest but I thought not everyone thinks like I do.... 

I actually hate suggesting things that are really up to personal taste because it invariably goes wrong..... :(

Ha! I, too, prefer 1st one, second seems a bit "loud" ! 

Anyway, got to try something as once again,today, my eyes are drawn to the pencils stuck out of the back of the car :(

Thanks for the input, Bill,  appreciated. 

• Like 2

• Moderators

The exhaust tips have arrived and size wise look the part now with a decent locking system too......as usual there is a but. They are an alloy type, light and reasonably well made but are a satin finish...might polish up or maybe they will look ok on the car.??

Really need to cut the existing exit pipe and paint the inside of the tip in black...might just have a go and see what they look like.

• Like 1