Subscriptions & Donations ×

Roof bars/roof rack for Accord Coupe

davebrads

• Site Subscriber’s

An answer rather than a question. Stu saw that I have fitted roof bars on my coupe and he told me that people were asking on here about them. I've used a Thule roof rack which I bought for a 2002 3-door Civic. The rubber mounting pads aren't an exact match for the roof of the coupe, but they sit well enough and I haven't had any problems with them, nor are they leaving any nasty dints in the roof. You will always get some light scratches from the rubber pads with this type of roof rack even if they are the right ones for your car unless you are really careful. You can see them in the picture below but it isn't very clear, it's all I've got for now.

12.jpg

• Like 3

• Site Subscriber’s

It's the B4391 that runs over to Bala through the Tanat Valley. It's a really nice road, quiet but wide enough and with decent visibility to  have some fun around the bends. Just watch out for sheep, they can put a nasty dent in the front of your car ;). It's a great alternative route into North Wales avoiding the A5 which is often clogged up with pensioners and holiday makers and has few opportunities for overtaking once you are in Wales.

• Like 3

• The title was changed to Roof bars/roof rack for Accord Coupe
  • 5 months later...
  • Site Subscriber’s

Cheers for the info :)

You've just made me very happy indeed. I won't be putting 3m long ladders on it but if it can carry a kayak, then I'm sure it'll carry small steps and my cycle easily enough.

Thanks.

• Like 2

• Founding Member

Dave,  how do you mount the rear roof rack bar?  Is it still in the door opening?   If so, how does the rack cope with the length ?

I am hoping to put Thule bike carriers on the roof when I get teh basic rack sorted out...

Cheers  Paul

• Site Subscriber’s

The rear bar just sits on the roof behind the doors. You get a "short roof adapter" as part of the kit. This is a piece of bar with a clamp in the middle. The clamp goes towards the rear of the door and the bar sits in supports in both the front and rear roof bars. The system works pretty well, though it takes a bit more faffing around than a 4-door and it will take some time the first time you fit it. It probably takes me about 2 minutes to fit it now. The link below is for instructions for mounting Honda roof bars onto a 2 door Accord. I got quite excited when I found it but it is for the 7th gen. The instructions still apply though - although they've been Honda branded this is definitely the Thule system. 

www.handa-accessories.com%2Faccord%2Facc2drrack.pdf

nb the instructions are for the more expensive "aero" bars, the principle is the same though if you decide to go for the older rectangular bars

• Like 1

• Founding Member

Great stuff.Dave.  I had asked Thule and they said they didn't have a solution....

I will try this out.  And thanks for the instructions...

I hope your coupe has not fallen to bits after last weekend's work - I heard it passed the MOT!

• Like 1