Subscriptions & Donations ×

What Have You Done To Your Coupe Today

Mangoman

• Moderators

Oil capacity is whatever it needs to get the dipstick upto the mark !! I think mine is , as you say, around 4 litres with filter but to be honest I use oil out of 20 litre drums so just pour what is required. 

ATF , Best way is to measure what comes out. Presumably you have checked the level and its within the limit on the stick ?

Just drain as much as possible,  I get about 3 litres out if I recall, then replace with same , keep an eye on the level to be sure.

• Like 2

• Moderators
8 hours ago, Laird_Scooby said:

A length of clean garden hose and a normal funnel works well for me.

I always forget the refill amount on yours, it's 3.2L on mine but i know it's different on the Accord, maybe Stu will be along in a bit to remind us all! ;):D

I use a funnel with a flexible hose built in, cheap from local accessories shop, about a pound if I recall, had mine about 15 years !!! and still good .

• Like 1
  • Clap Hands 1

Spotted a puddle of fluid under nearside front. Wondered if its from oil change yesterday and when the old filter fell to one side. Cars moved about a bit since. No, brake fluid all over the wheel on closer inspection ☹

Brakes are good tho, been up and down the M6 and A6 and tested no pulling or judder etc. Everything went back ok and tightened up. Its blowing a gale and about -40 out so not inspired either to go take apart either 😖 but can't leave it like that. Git.

• Sad 2

Yes, everything was buggered up on that side from disc screws to pistons. Was chuffed I'd got round it all and back together considering the time and conditions. Even colder out now and I've work commitments in the next hour.

Gonna wrap up get out and have the wheel off. I cleaned it up after things like the banjo bolt at the back and bleed nipple should be eliminated pretty quick only leaving the piston seal. Can only see one caliper on fleabay and it looks in terrible condition or I'd consider a straight swap over instead.

• Sad 2

Ooh new and shiny. I looked at them before but through ebay only as thats where i got my bremtec slider grease from. 

Well, update: I had cracked the banjo at the back due to bleed nipple originally not shifting at all. I had tightened all back up when caliper was back in a fixed position. Didn't over tighten due to copper washer etc. But..

https://www.dropbox.com/s/jiblo8cwb25203a/20210211_161306.jpg?dl=0

Inspection thankfully shows leak definitely coming from there. Put a bar on it and it only took barely a quarter of turn more. Sprayed and cleaned up the area squeezed hard on the brakes a few times. Dry. Fingers crossed thats it. But was a mess its made splattered fully round the arch. Off to get some washers/test drive just in case it starts again under more load and has split washer.

• Like 1

• Moderators

p.jpeg?fv_content=true&size_mode=5

It looks like the copper washer closest to the caliper has corroded around it's outer edge which would compromise the seal. Also it's best to renew those washers as a matter of course when working on the brakes to avoid this situation.

I'd suggest re-bleeding that leg of the brake circuit once you've renewed the washers, just to be on the safe side. ;):D

• Like 1

Got some copper washers, mixed pack as apart from a 14mm bolt I'm not sure of the internal thread diameter. Hadn't taken it off before, literally just cracked it for some pressure release perhaps to help piston back in as it was late and clutching at cold straws.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PTR200S said:

Gallon of brake cleaner will sort that goo out !!! 😝

I know, its 360° around the wheel arch too! I think if all is well, during the summer I'd like them off and cleaned up. Whats the best weapon for that? Angle grinder and disc?

I did think whilst doing the oil filter yesterday that bar/cross member(?) just under it, is always the best preserved lower part of the car from getting dripped on during changes 😀

• Haha 1

• Moderators
11 minutes ago, Andy Mc said:

I know, its 360° around the wheel arch too! I think if all is well, during the summer I'd like them off and cleaned up. Whats the best weapon for that? Angle grinder and disc?

What ? Cut the wheel arch off ?? 🤣 angle grinder with disk equals .....oops !!

I presume you mean clean the arch up? 😃

Brake cleaner or a good degrease,  then I would give it a blast with a pressure washer then a good stiff brush clean after allowing to dry.  a paint brush is useful around the suspension struts too.

Then some good modern underseal or anti corrosion stuff,  not the black gloop !!!

• Clap Hands 1

• Moderators

Crusty caliper,????

knock off as much loose stuff a possible and use something like hydrate 80 or similar to convert any rust or corrosion.  If its really bad you could use deox gel then maybe hydrate 80 to finish. Its possible to paint on top of the coating with perhaps a heat resistant paint or if you need to fill pits and dips in the metal if its really bad then the smooth hammerite lasts well.

• Like 1

• Moderators

Today was get the Coupe out of the lockup day (no, not lockdown! )

The weather was perfect, 12C and SUNNY !!! as we had have had 40mph gales and frozen solid everywhere for a week or more this was a bonus !

Connected the battery up, checked the fluids, cranked it 1.5 turns and it burst into life !!  Immediately settled into an even tickover, just lurrv the V6 😎

Checked the tyres and it was good to go.

Although not really going anywhere yet and it needs an MoT and tax, although still insured...anyway no where to go 😭 without upsetting the local Stasi  curtain twitchers.

• Like 2