Subscriptions & Donations ×

What Have You Done To Your Coupe Today

Mangoman

• Moderators
11 hours ago, welland99 said:

I t has just occurred to me how complex the shape of the bonnet strut is on the CG4.  I wonder how long it took to finalise the design with all the bends that allow it to stow correctly when the bonnet is down?

Mine occasionally gets accidentally twisted the wrong way when I'm stowing it and it is quite a conundrum to get it back in the correct orientation.  

you need the hughezee conversion kit !!!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• Moderators
10 hours ago, Andy Mc said:

Sliders again soiled up to no good, i was aware I'd used the wrong stuff (copper grease, all i had to hand!) last year when i did pads and discs so it was on my mind to re-grease them properly. 

I stopped using copper grease on brake systems quite a few years back.

It was a particular problem with bike calipers and over enthusiastic stoppies!! Hot parts don't do any favours to copper grease.

I have used Ceratec for a number of years, on the moving parts but also rubber grease in the slider boots..had no problems. 

Ceratec on the wheel hub and back of the wheel means no more sticky wheels after removing the wheel nuts.....copper grease ,,,,nightmare sticky !!!!

Have a read here too. Bit of an advert but interesting in that I didn't know copper grease , left open, is a problem!!!

https://mintex.com/copper-slip-vs-ceratec/?lang=en-gbr

• Like 1

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Andy Mc said:

Was less than a year ago the rears were done. What was left of the copper grease was dry and could be rolled up into balls

Sort of proves the point, I guess, that's what used to happen with the bike calipers 😭

• Like 1

• Administrators
On 1/31/2021 at 9:47 PM, welland99 said:

It has just occurred to me how complex the shape of the bonnet strut is on the CG4.  I wonder how long it took to finalise the design with all the bends that allow it to stow correctly when the bonnet is down?

Mine occasionally gets accidentally twisted the wrong way when I'm stowing it and it is quite a conundrum to get it back in the correct orientation.  

Think you've confused the bonnet prop with a strut, the CG2 doesn't have bonnet prop like the CG4, the CG2 V6's have small gas struts like you see on hatchback cars boot.🖐️

• Like 1

Got rained of is what ☹ i think tomorrow is going to be better weather. Hopefully sticking the front discs on (🤞 they're correct), tackling sticky caliper as Pete suggests, finishing rear sliders refurb. Oh and oil and filter time too!

vl-hvR8C.jpeg

On order are the rear arb bushes and some Z1 box lube. I do check it occasionally and the two holes on the dipstick presumably are min and max is that just for cold? Mine settles above them but still bright pink?

Also my mystery de-mist patch is back 😂 But since last time I've had seats down and thoroughly cleaned back window with window cleaning product, ah well.

gqBGrRQ-.jpeg

• Like 3

• Moderators

I would screw the disks on rather than "sticking" them on 😛

Don't forget to spray the disks with wd40, stops them rusting......  😂

OK, maybe not ! But DO use some brake cleaner on the disk faces to clean off manufacturing oils/ fluids 🙂

Good filter choice 👍 and oil 🙂

• Clap Hands 2

46 minutes ago, hughezee said:

Roll on tomorrow then Andy, the ATF min and max are cold marks. 👍

Hmm I'd say 4+mm over the mark easily each time so may not of helped matters with the box or been an issue at all?? Also purchased some lucas stop slip, drip etc wonder additive. Not sure it will cure, but nothing ventured nothing gained. 

• Like 2

• Moderators
37 minutes ago, Andy Mc said:

☹ doh, it was on here it was suggested.

Not by me !!!!

Some of my mates have used stuff in the past, made gear changes a bit sticky when cold, they did report better gear changes when hot though but was is just a placebo effect ?

Can't recall anyone using it in an autobox but most of my cars have been manual until this last 10 years. 😄

• Moderators

Fairly sure Stu used it as a treatment on one car that had problems, quite some time back. I might be wrong but i seem to recall it was to rescue a box that had been filled with DW-1 so the thickening agent would have worked well until the correct fluid (by several part-changes) was in there.

Maybe i'm wrong as i've been asleep since then and it was a few years back but hopefully Stu remembers better than i do and will be along soon to explain further.

• Like 1
  • Clap Hands 1

• Administrators
5 hours ago, Andy Mc said:

☹ doh, it was on here it was suggested.

I have used it a few times but never mentioned it each time on the forum as far as I can remember 🤔 as I like to be careful recommending products that need experience? I have recommended USA Lucas products in general, mainly the oil stop leak and power steering fluid, the only reference I can find regards slip stop was on this post linked below click on the arrow top right of the snapshot. 👍

• Clap Hands 1

Well that's the least of my issues now. Refurbed other rear sliders, all good. Front discs, drivers side, whizzed off no issues at all. Then interruption of an hour or so times ticking, lights fading and it keeps snowing. Passenger side, both retaining screws on the disc stuck. Fought past them next that troublesome caliper pot. Pre measured block of wood in, pump brakes just one came out. No worries, pump more then the other joined. Cleaned n lubed best i could. Pushed both back in no probs, repeat, still stuck but getting easier. Pushing back in the sticky one, other appears to have popped out. Bad light, couldn't really tell until it refused to budge. It will not go back in 😖😖😖 now dark, cars laid up she's moaning about shopping. 

Bleed nipple was seized. So managed to finally free that with patience and wd to help but still nothing. I've come in to defrost. Think. Swear. Panic.. etc thoroughly pissed off of easy job has turned so grrrr

• Sad 3

• Administrators

Sorry hear of your frustrations, sounds like a normal day working somebody else's motor for me. 🤪 I would suggest using a PH3 bit for the disc retainer screws in a ratchet. I hope you manage to restore the brakes back to good health soon, with the weather and daylight on your side.🤞

• Like 1
  • Clap Hands 1

• Moderators
50 minutes ago, hughezee said:

I would suggest using a PH3 bit for the disc retainer screws in a ratchet.

Something i've found that helps is once you have the bit in position is give it a good whack with a hammer, it helps seat it in the screw and shock the screw free in the threads, then put the socket adaptor and ratchet on and usually they come off easily.

Note i said usually..................

• Like 2

Cheers, all sorted. Managed to wiggle piston back in. Issue was, and bad light not helping just one side had just drifted so i couldn't tell it was at the slightest of angles and was at a loss why it wasn't retracting - it was the good one!!

A break, brew and time to think with some improved lighting and a gentle twist, in it went. The rest took 5mins as it should have. 

Still not happy with that caliper but that's for another day.

Test drive done for essential beer and chocolate, nice and firm 👍

• Like 1
  • Clap Hands 2

Here's pics of lights whilst it was nice and dark

Side lights i did a while ago 'internal use only', well.. They're inside the light housing 😁

sW6o0KVl.jpegFVdr3y3t.jpeg

And the Night breaker lasers 150%. The more I've driven with them I'd say the more I've noticed the improvement.

YD4-Xa5-.jpegjVydcAbP.jpeg

• Like 3

Cheers👍

Oil change can wait for during the week perhaps, too windy (and I'll have plenty of time now little ones nursery have messaged to say covid has struck so shut 🙄).

I blame lockdown! Usually I'll plan jobs like this and roll up at the in-laws, so full use of a ramp, air gun and all the tools. Like a big bar and room underneath to pull on 😁 not confined to the wheel arch! Oh and indoors too so not wind swept and the last few bits of an oil drain blown down the drive.

• Like 1
  • Clap Hands 1

Oil and filter done no hassle today only apart from the square container Smith and Allan provide with no measurement or easy pour system. Oh and the washer putting up a fight to let go of the plug. Proper gloopy thick stuff compared to others, quick razz around the village and back to warm and swill up the old stuff and a black coupe went past me the other way 😯 I waved but they didn't notice ☹

Does anyone know off the top of their head, the capacity I thinks its shy of 4 litres? Also the ATF got delivered whilst out there. Whats expected to gush out of that for a change? Thanks 

• Like 2