Subscriptions & Donations ×

What Have You Done To Your Coupe Today

Mangoman

• Founding Member
18 hours ago, welland99 said:

What is the difference between the S2000 filter and the "correct" CG2 filter?  If it fits, then isn't that all there is to it?

Also, interested to hear how you clean out the washing up bowl before it goes back in the kitchen sink! [imagine a laughing emoji here :)]

Hahahaha 😂😂😂

There maybe another topic somewhere on this. I understand that the internal dimensions of this filter allow more consistency with the pressure and flow characteristics, particularly whilst engaging a heavy right foot, as many owners of an S2000 are inclined to do. I’ve no doubt someone will give a more involved explanation than mine.

As for the washing up bowl, I have very cross missus, who falls out with me for three days after I undertake an oil change 😆😆

I clean all of my equipment after every change using liquid brake cleaner (5 litre container based) and save aerosols for actual proper jobs.

Ps, my missus likes red, so only red washing up bowls allowed in the house 😆😆

• Haha 3

• Founding Member
8 hours ago, PTR200S said:

Buy a proper oil drain container,  saves the grief......ask me how I know 😛

expensive version but there will be cheaper

https://www.screwfix.com/p/laser-oil-drain-pan-16ltr/23458

I have one of those too. It’s just full of oil that I need to take to the recycling centre 😆

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

• Moderators
2 hours ago, Retro Rich said:

I have one of those too. It’s just full of oil that I need to take to the recycling centre 😆

Buy one of thes then to save the washing up bowel :

https://www.screwfix.com/p/hilka-pro-craft-oil-drain-pan-8ltr/3759r#product_additional_details_container

Cheap enough that when you've painted your shed/fence etc with the oil in the other one, you can chuck it in the back of the garage and not worry for a while!

• Haha 1

• Moderators
8 hours ago, Laird_Scooby said:

Buy one of thes then to save the washing up bowel :

https://www.screwfix.com/p/hilka-pro-craft-oil-drain-pan-8ltr/3759r#product_additional_details_container

Cheap enough that when you've painted your shed/fence etc with the oil in the other one, you can chuck it in the back of the garage and not worry for a while!

How will Rich manage with this one? Only 8 litres !! His missus will be down two more washing up bowls  !!!

Seriously,  I use a 20 litre container to dump bits of oil, cleaners etc, back into but I also hang onto the containers , from the oil that I have used plus any like thinners, windscreen wash fluid, car cleaner etc....every so often it's down to the tip with 10 or more.....

Last time , when recycling centre was open properly before CV19,  missus went to tip in Jazz.....she got interrogated on where the ten 4/5 litre cans of oil were from. They said she was running a business and therefore needed a licence   !!!!!!!!!!!!!  😄  .

She told them it was just oil changes on the car saved up....  the council man said she should be taking the car to a dealership for oil changes..........he was about 20 ish years old she reckoned !! 

When she told him that when she was younger than him and worked in a garage changing tyres, oil and repairing stuff he just didn't believe her.....the snowflake generation strike again. 

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • grrrr 1

• Moderators
8 minutes ago, hughezee said:

You mean a full premium service and let's not forget if they think the oil looks okay they won't even change it.😡

Exactly! I've had many cars in the past with allegedly full service history but found the oil filters caked solid with gunge from when Fred Flintstone was in nappies, date code on them was in ancient Egyption heiroglyph! Looked bright, clean and shiny on the outside though but looking closely the tell-tale mark of a rag was visible.

The oil was so thick with gunge it could have been used to biuld a house instead of concrete/cement and in others, so thin it's a wonder it hadn't simply leaked away through the threads in the sump plug!

"Paper servicing" is my name for it - the service book gets stamped and a car gets a swift look at to ensure there's nothing glaringly obvious like blown bulbs, overheating etc.

• Like 3

On 7/17/2020 at 4:11 PM, PTR200S said:

Oil filter access from the side, easy peasy, ................oohh mucky under there !!

oil-filter-access.jpg

and a filter for all occasions !

filters.jpg

wait for it..........

Is the top pic your coupe? It looks a lot easier to access the filter than on my cg4 coupe.

I recognise the little filter in your bottom pic: it's for your Xbr!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 7/17/2020 at 4:02 PM, PTR200S said:

Link here for a couple of more pics

ooh, muuummmmy, that's a long way down? UP?

rad_pipe_2.jpg

Those ramps look Great, Pete. I haven't seen them before.  

I see that you have a gravel drive, as do I.  A real pain for car maintenance- how many times have you dropped a nut and lost it in the stones? 😥

• Like 3

• Moderators
38 minutes ago, welland99 said:

Is the top pic your coupe? It looks a lot easier to access the filter than on my cg4 coupe.

I recognise the little filter in your bottom pic: it's for your Xbr!

Yep, that's the V6 motor in the Coupe, the Elysion has it in the same place too , slightly later development of the Coupe. 

And , you get the prize for the "wait for it " comment  !!!

It is indeed the XBR,  when stuff comes up at a good price I just cant resist 😄

• Like 1

• Moderators
34 minutes ago, welland99 said:

Those ramps look Great, Pete. I haven't seen them before.  

I see that you have a gravel drive, as do I.  A real pain for car maintenance- how many times have you dropped a nut and lost it in the stones? 😥

Ramps are the best investment in tools I have made in the last few years, these are the heavy duty versions, needed for the Van's and the Jag that I had..  The lower capacity ones do the job just as well on the Coupe, or most cars.

have bought a set of "Laird ramps" as well !!

Nightmare with the stones, I have a large magnet,,,,,,,,,, 😛

• Like 3

• Moderators
7 minutes ago, Laird_Scooby said:

Those would be these then Pete?

Yep  forever known as Laird Ramps !,,,,

Haven't actually tried them out yet but have passed on my already recycled, re engineered, re welded, repaired versions of steel ramps to my BIL who has an MG1800....narrow wheels and light weight car, ideal ramps for him and I get space to store my Lairds 😄

• Clap Hands 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • Moderators

Having got my Blueprint disks a short while ago, at a good price, I decided today was the day to change them...

Just got the jack out and it rained...

rear-disk-1.jpg

Immediately followed by sunshine...wtf !!! anyway on with it.

Jack it up and block it/ axle stand underneath...

off with the wheel

rear-disk-1a.jpg

hmm, bit rusty in here....

rear-disk-1b.jpg

ooh err, that doesn't look good

rear-disk-1c.jpg

rear-disk-1d.jpg

out with the brushes and give it a clean, all the mud and stuff had to go,,,,decided to do it all properly and then use Bilt Hamber UC on it all.

Another small job, replace disks, turns into a bigger job !!rear-disk-1e.jpg

Once it was cleaned down the next job is the caliper. remove the two 12mm bolts and pull the caliper off... brake pads out and then on removing the caliper carrier.

14mm bolts, this spanner is just to show where the top bolt is but in reality they are so tight and rusty I needed the airgun and plenty of lube. access is a pain from this angle with a gun but if it was on a two post ramp access from behind is pretty good.

rear-disk-1f.jpg

• Like 2
  • Clap Hands 1

• Moderators

once the carrier is off checked for the slider operation, all good but took them out cleaned and relubed them.

rear-disk-1g.jpg

Bit of filing to get all the rust crud and scabby metal off the carrier faces that have the stainless plates on.

rear-disk-1h.jpg

Off with the disk, make sure the screwdriver head is big enough to shift it without tearing the head off, I used an impact gun.

rear-disk-1i.jpg

Disk came off with a sharp rap on the face to break the centre corrosion.

rear-disk-1j.jpg

• Like 1
  • Clap Hands 1

• Moderators

bit of corrosion here !!

rear-disk-1k.jpg

rear-disk-1l.jpg

rear-disk-1m.jpg

Whilst under here a good pick of all the crusty metal and start the spraying process.

rear-disk-1o.jpg

New disk ready to go in, lube everything with Ceratec.

rear-disk-1n.jpg

Make sure you get the screw holes in the right place, although two of them on opposite sides they have different orientations .

rear-disk-1p.jpg

A screwdriver is fine to tighten them up...

rear-disk-1q.jpg

• Like 1
  • Clap Hands 1