Subscriptions & Donations ×

What Have You Done To Your Coupe Today

Mangoman

• Moderators
48 minutes ago, Retro Rich said:

Hehehehe, this made me titter as it was something that baffled me for many years.

in essence the reason the thermostat is mounted in the hallway or halfway up the stairs is because it's the place subject to most temperature change in any given time frame. Heat rises and generally the temperature will suddenly drop if the front door is opened regularly. Furthermore, the radiator fitted nearest the wall mounted thermostat generally is governed by the wall mounted sensor, as opposed to all the other radiators with their own valve operated thermostats. Hope this clarifies it. It had me baffled for years ?

Nope, none of the above Rich! :lol:

It was mounted in the hall as it was closest to the hot water tank and all the rads here had TRVs (Thermostatic Radiator Valves) that regularly die so the only option is to remove them. The nearest rad to where it was is in the kitchen, the hall radiator is round the corner near the front door. :o

From the airing cupboard where the hot water tank is, the pipework runs through the loft then down into my bedroom for a foot or so then at right angles out through the wall to the boiler which is hung between the bathroom and my bedroom windows.

Just to really rub it in, the hall temperature is relatively stable compared to other rooms but since having the 'stat/controller moved, the whole house is much more stable on temperature and cheaper on oil as well! ;):D

• Like 1

• Moderators

Kerosene indeed Rich - no mains gas in the village at all. A few people have large Calor or LPG tanks for heating and cooking but the majority are either on electric heating (storage mainly) or oil-fired central heating.

As for your theory - that would indeed be right usually - it's a wonder the system works here at all!

• Like 2

• Moderators

Oil burner here too :rolleyes:

Just wondering how long it will be before we get an "lez" applied :angry:

Used to have a house with the stat in the hall, never could understand why the heating didn't work properly but now I know ! Erm, I think !

Thanks guys

• Like 3

• Founding Member

I used to rent a 3 bedroom detached that was relatively speaking "in the sticks". I did notice that the heating seemed more efficient and most certainly easier to control (buying oil) as opposed to the monthly cost of having gas on tap. More effective in the sense kerosene burns very hot and the house rapidly heated up. The boiler was a Worcester Bosch condensing type that was about 5-7 years old at the time. I loved the fact that showers and baths would sting your skin as opposed to the mere tease of heat from gas combi boilers. If I buy a house, I'm likely to have the gas capped or for cooking only and invest in a oil fired system. 

• Like 2

• Moderators
2 hours ago, PTR200S said:

Oil burner here too :rolleyes:

Just wondering how long it will be before we get an "lez" applied :angry:

I've been wondering similar - after all kerosene isn't that far removed from diesel in the refining process. I know when the older boilers round here are in need of a service they stink like hell because of unburnt fuel.

Thankfully i now have a condensing boiler, the old one was forever breaking down and when the guy came to service it, it threw a wobbly and broke down in front of his eyes! He couldn't get it to even think of firing up again so condemned it. The new one is a lot more efficient and cheaper to run which means lower emissions blah, blah, blah but if i ever win the lottery and have my own place built, there will be a big LPG gas tank to provide heating with a metered pump to fill the cars up too. ;):D

• Like 2

Right, a follow-on from this Post:  http://honda6.ipbhost.com/index.php?/topic/4801-what-have-you-done-to-your-coupé-today/&do=findComment&comment=19257

With regards to the MPG Test I've carried out.

Now bear in mind that nearly all of the driving has been from cold starts, and a habit of mine is to warm the car up for a few minutes to get everything moving nicely - and in D4 to warm the Gearbox - so I apologise in advance - I know it's not necessary these days, but a carry-over from my Alfa 1750 days...

Anyway, moving along.

As I was saying, from cold starts and more often than not driving to the local Co-op or Tesco or my daughters, all within a 4 mile radius. But mostly driving sedately with the occasional "Paul Walker" moment. :D And over a period of 7 Days. (And including my Video). 

The result is a 20.58 Mile Per Gallon. This is about 2 mpg better than what Honda claim for the car which is 18.6 mpg.

And taking that into consideration it being a 17 year-old car I'm reasonably pleased considering on the motorway I get about 55% more! 

I decided to try out the "Disconnect-Battery" "PEM". Actually left it disconnected for over an hour as I was busy fixing next door's motorbike, and didn't use it until this morning.

I have to say it's like a different car altogether! Oh hang on it was - my neighbours Dacia Sandero after I had changed his Discs and Pads while he was in Canada - hard to tell them apart sometimes.... But being a Manual helps. :)

But yes, jokes aside the Coupe was a dream to drive in comparison! The whole 'feel' of the car was smoother, quieter and more responsive, and it was quick enough before! So much so that you have to be on the ball when following a car away from the lights or roundabouts - it's like a racehorse out of the gate resulting in you having to take your foot off the 'Go' Pedal!

Other than that, nothing to report.

Yes I am. Just put petrol and go... :D

Will be doing the Front Pads soon though - only about 5mm of stuff left on them. 

Although it will have to wait until my daughter gets around to ordering them for me as a 'thank-you' for doing her Rear Pads on her Merc last weekend.... (Oh, and her Oil and Filters Service). Those Pins are a right bugger to remove!

JmV4m66.jpg

f8YeHph.jpg

DWEu7Jm.jpg

VlMiBdz.jpg

And yes, I clean it aswell... :) (Quite proud of my handywork)..... 

• Founding Member

Took my coupe for a run in the sun on Thursday - pleased to report that the aircon Stu fixed me up with last year has held up properly over winter.  Well done Stu.

• Like 3

• Moderators

The only thing i did to my Coupé yesterday was drive it, put gas in it, drove it some more, put 2 Legends in the boot, refilled the A/C with a DIY refill can and drove it home.

Got a nice bit of improvement on the mpg from gas as well - now just under 25mpg on gas, running cost equivalent of about 60mpg on petrol!

More here :

You're probably all wondering how i can fit 2 Legends in the boot! Have a look here to find out :

Anyway, more Coupé fun is planned later when i top up the tank and do some shopping! ;):D

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

What did I do today.....

Other than going shopping, Halfords had 20% Off at my Local, all I did was take a couple of photo's. Not much else to do really - sorry. (edit - sorry, I did check my pressures, but even they didn't need anything.... :( ).

(Also bump this Thread at the same time). :D

CyuDoLW.jpg

5PqUge0.jpg

Ciao amigos..... c0217.gif

• Moderators

Erm, same here,  been buzzing around for couple weeks now, nothing to report, although the other night the offside rear tail light was out :angry:

Not sure if there should be a warning lamp on the dash for that? Anyhoo, usual fix ......... hiitttt it !, no not with a hammer,  tapped with hand:lol:

Seems to have stayed on so suspect is the fitting / bulb socket maybe but slack...

• Like 3

• Moderators

Spoke to soon :rolleyes:

Offside rear light out again tonight, smart tap brings it on again, job for tomorrow. ...assuming i get away from cutting the grass :(...of which the only good thing is the mower is a third of a v6 :lol:

• Like 2

• Moderators
7 hours ago, Laird_Scooby said:

Hmmm, a mower with a CX500 engine? :P;):D

Nearly, but bigger than that! (size 52, anyone recall that?)

830cc v twin, ! 

Ok, ok, so I like BIG engines in anything !    Drives the local busybody, save the environment , tree hugging , leather elbow patched , bicycle riding neighbour NUTS :P:lol: 

• Like 1