Subscriptions & Donations ×

Just bought a V6 Accord....

Mangoman

Hello there.

I have just purchased a 2000 (W) Honda Accord 3.0i V6 Vtec and was told to come and join here because it is just about the only Club/Forum dedicated to V6 Hondas...???

Anyway, here I am.

Can't tell you much because I've only had it a day and covered about 15 miles...lol. :)

I have a feeling it is not "Bog-Standard" as you might notice by the photo - but hey, everything works and it was what I consider a good price with a long MOT and looked well maintained by the last owner.

If anybody can give any pointers, it would be appreciated.

Ciao...

ps. I didn't take these - they're from the Ad. (But just to give you an idea - you'll all most probably hate it :( )

ZHsIcdA.jpg

KQQJgmN.jpg

zz9Pc9K.jpg

46H3J9d.jpg

• Administrators

Welcome to the club. glad to have you joined us so soon as the motor looks a cracking example :wub: the previous owner was only a member briefly to get some interest in the car. In regards to pointers I would ensure the transmission servicing is all up to date, including timing belt. Also not forgetting cooling system is in good health and avoid cheap fuels if you can, frequent oil changes go a long way to improve or maintain good fuel economy too ;)

• Like 1

Hello and thank you for the welcome.

Ah, so you obviously recognise the car? It wasn't the previous owner that pointed me in this direction by the way.... Strange...??? :unsure:

Yes, the Gearbox was serviced very recently and seems OK, and the service record seems up to date, but still going through all the paperwork.

I don't do much mileage, +/- 1500/year. so I don't think I'll wear it out, and I'm no 'Boy-Racer'... ;)

Thanks again and I'm usually quite a keen forum contributor when with other marques - especially Rover 75's... :D  (Had one for 6 years of trouble-free motoring!). 

If I need to ask, I surely will. :)

Ciao. Bill.

12 hours ago, Laird_Scooby said:

Welcome aboard Bill! A Rover 75 that ran trouble-free for 6 years? :wacko::blink: Never heard of such an animal! :lol:

Certainly a nice example you've got there, don't think they're the original wheels but suit the car anyway - looks well cared for inside as well! ;):D

Thanks Dave.

Yes, they are off a Type 'R' Civic I believe running 235/40x18's. (But not very good ones :( ). But the interior makes up for it.

I had a 1999 BMW 323i prior to buying this and boy do they feel different!!! And prior to that the R75.

Chalk and cheese! Will take some getting used to...

Yes, a Rover 75!!! It was only a 2.lt V6 Manual and seriously the only thing that went was the Cam Sensor after about 2 weeks of having it, and that was it! :D

But I see you're a bit of a 'Rover' fan yourself Dave..??? (It's a disease you know...lol).

Anyway, thanks again for the nice welcome, and I hope to be quite a regular here. At the Rover 75 Owners' in 6 years I managed to clock up nearly 11000 posts....! I learnt a lot about the marque.

Here is a photo for you Dave.... Ciao. ;) (Yes, not your run-of-the-mill variety).

RXH7PRv.jpg 

• Moderators

Ah-ha! The dreaded cam sensor! One size fits all, those things - same one on the 4-pots as KV6s, just some have an extension lead (can't remember the delightful name they're officially known as) and others don't need it. A friend has a 75 1.8t almost identical to yours, he's added the chrome door mirrors and a mesh grille and is desperately hunting a ZT bootlid in the right colour to gain the spoiler - believe it or not the Rover versions don't have the access to the holes for mounting the boot spoiler! In the 4+ years he's had it, i think it's spent about 4 months on the road and that wasn't constant either! He also has a pale blue V6 2.0 and an MG ZT-190 auto in metallic black and an 827 SLi so at least he has one Honda-powered car there! ;)

Out of all the engines fitted to the 75, the 2.0 V6 seems about the best as it's the least stressed.

I'm well aware owning a Rover is a disease Bill - usually identified by one or more symptoms including serial and/or multiple ownership, having a dog (or more than one!), parts hoarding and also owning a trailer/caravan, 4x4 or a Volvo estate. :lol:

I'm sure you're going to enjoy the Accord V6 and hope to see much more of your input on the forum - see if you can beat your record on the 75 forum! ;):D

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Laird_Scooby said:

Ah-ha! The dreaded cam sensor! One size fits all, those things - same one on the 4-pots as KV6s, just some have an extension lead (can't remember the delightful name they're officially known as) and others don't need it. A friend has a 75 1.8t almost identical to yours, he's added the chrome door mirrors and a mesh grille and is desperately hunting a ZT bootlid in the right colour to gain the spoiler - believe it or not the Rover versions don't have the access to the holes for mounting the boot spoiler! In the 4+ years he's had it, i think it's spent about 4 months on the road and that wasn't constant either! He also has a pale blue V6 2.0 and an MG ZT-190 auto in metallic black and an 827 SLi so at least he has one Honda-powered car there! ;)

Out of all the engines fitted to the 75, the 2.0 V6 seems about the best as it's the least stressed.

I'm well aware owning a Rover is a disease Bill - usually identified by one or more symptoms including serial and/or multiple ownership, having a dog (or more than one!), parts hoarding and also owning a trailer/caravan, 4x4 or a Volvo estate. :lol:

I'm sure you're going to enjoy the Accord V6 and hope to see much more of your input on the forum - see if you can beat your record on the 75 forum! ;):D

Thanks again Dave.....

You mean a Spoiler like this... :D I found a Spoiler in the right colour and did the business of Drilling the Bootlid..:wacko:

Zmn992G.jpg

But you can only attach using one Bolt/Nut, but it's good enough as I double-sided taped it aswell. One photo shows you where to drill the hole. (Just remove the Rubber Bumper -Bung)

XhgR3Cp.jpg

Anyway, enough of Rovers....

I already changed the Radio out for my Pioneer DEH-X9500BT - simple job, and sounds better already! :)

But I do have one question, and that is, is there an easy way to change the front Sidelight Bulbs - I want to install my nice bright Led's.

twCJm5w.jpg  (That's the old Bulbs in there).

And this is what they looked like in the Beemer! Not too shabby... :) (Yes, that is just the sidelights).

5XnvSpF.jpg 

Anyone, please????  :blush:

And I'm off to let you guys answer..... ;)

• Moderators

My friend is fussy - he wants to use both fixings both sides! ;):D

Back to the LED bulbs, i know Stu has fitted LED bulbs on his (Flex) coupé and i'm a big fan of LED bulbs as well. Some LED bulbs have trouble fitting in the housing so you may have to get some different ones, i don't know how much Halfrauds charge for theirs but this site is good if a bit expensive. However, you get what you pay for and i've had no complaints at all with their products :

http://www.classiccarleds.co.uk/

Are you also considering LED headlamp bulbs? :huh:

• Like 1

Thanks Dave....

These are the actual Led's in the packet. These were £12.99 at Halfords and they are really good and do not set off the Failed Bulb.

IrPe4zc.jpg?1

The problem I have is finding the actual Socket...??! Seems as if it is at the bottom edge of the Headlight Assy.

I drove around for 2 years with only one fitting. No problem.

• Founding Member

Hi there and welcome to the bestest Accord Coupe V6 forum on the wibbly wobbly.  Your lovely coupe has been on here before, I have the same interior as your good self.  Feel free to browse the site, there's lots of information, tips and tricks.  Don't be afraid to ask anything regarding your coupe, which was made in Ohio, USA.

As Stu mentions above, main things are regular oil changes (myself and other change our oil every 6 months), ensure the cam belt is up-to-date and also that the ATF fluid is nice and pink.  Regarding ATF please read the threads on here regarding which one to use as using the wrong one will not be good for your gearbox.

Just to give you a indicator, our coupes are well engineered and made to last.  They're also very very rare cars, less than 300 on the road!  Mine has 103K on the clock and is an S plate 1997, it passed it's last MOT a few months ago with NO ADVISORIES!  Not many other cars - let alone an almost 20 year old car - can say that!

Welcome again.

• Like 2

Welcome to the forum Bill.  I looked long and hard at the photos of your Accord and was tempted, but that would have meant getting rid of my green Coupe, and I thought 'better the devil you know'.  Also I was a bit worried that the exhaust might be too loud - I like to waft around as quietly as possible.

Anyway, we look forward to hearing how you get on with the car.  There are so few around now, and it's good to know that this one has gone to an enthusiast.

My main concern would be about ATF changes, but there's plenty of advice on here about that.  I had mine changed a few months ago with Valvoline Maxlife, not because there was a problem but in order to try to prevent one.  Since then, gear changes between 3 and 4 are less jolty than they used to be.

• Like 2

Thank you for the welcome 'BN Coupe'... :)

Yes, I saw it and just wanted it - just went there and handed over the asking price. I thought it was worth it! At the time I didn't realise they were such a rarity. :blink:

It looked different, and although not exactly standard, done tastefully I thought.

And you were right about the Exhaust, when the chap started it it was like "WOW"! Really throbs... I will post a Video soon. I don't know how, but it sounds more like a V* than a V6.

Maybe I'm reading too much into all this 'Tranny' & 'ATF' stuff and over-reacting. But compared to my last 2 cars it just seems so vicious! But on the motorway it's a nice cruiser, and eventually the exhaust drifts off into the background - almost hypnotic.... :wacko:

Not sure if there are any others around the Southampton/Fareham/Portsmouth area - never seen one that's for sure!

And one other thing. It is a big car isn't it...?! And do they normally sit that high? Almost looks 'Hotrod-ish'. lol.

Anyway.....

And very nice it is too! Really like the colour aswell.... And the clearer windows - mine seem to be quite dark, but seem original, not film-tinted. (Maybe it was an option...???).

It must be really smooth with those 16 inch(?) wheels. The 18's on mine does make it feel clunky somewhat.. :( Although the same overall diameter as the 16's..

It does look completely different doesn't it.

nAAmdlU.jpg

Thanks for the photo. Nice!