Subscriptions & Donations ×

Accord Coupe 3.0 V6 "PROJECT EMERALD"

hughezee

• Administrators
17 hours ago, kindzal said:

So, yes it has finally happened! I am a new happy owner of 'project Emerald'. First impressions after initial ride: refined and quiet. Bit of a jerk, from what I have been told by the expert originates from the torque converter, which will be sorted by a couple more ATF changes. Other than that I can't believe its a 16 year old car! This thing does everything effortless in comparison to my other accord saloon (2.4)... and all electrics still work :) (quite a few electrical/electronic niggles with the other one being 6 years younger). It just shows how good these cars were built. Looking forward to a longer drive over this weekend! Some more pics coming up soon. Thanks Stu for all your efforts.

So pleased you had the motor buddy, the nudge from the torque converter is normal over in the states or so it seems about the 100k mark, although I disagree. The car did have fluid change with Honda DW1 and was over filled a little :huh: Nevertheless I have no concerns as it hasn't been in there long enough, also I didn't reset the transmission as precaution and wont until the second fluid change is in the bag. As Dave rightly says it needs driving now, allow some time for the new fluid to work, so don't worry and I will see you in 200 miles for some fresh fluid ;)

• Like 1

• Moderators

Slightly anecdotal as it's concerning my Volvo and it's RWD with a totally different autobox but the same principles hold true. When i first got it, engaging any gear produced a definite thud, since doing one part-change and about 300 miles since, it's much more of a cushioned thump, not to mention the changes are smoother, more consistent etc. That said it was only the first part change and the fluid that came out was charcoal grey!

On a more Honda related note, my 827 coupé was very much the same when i first got it, engagement gave a definite thud and since doing at least two part-changes and using the car, it's now a gentle thump with much smoother, more progressive and consistent gear changes. ;):D

• Like 2

• Administrators

Project Emerald was back @ H6 HQ today with a Lambda & EGR problem :( Frustratingly I already replaced the EGR, so another passage clean could be in order but see how it goes after a few more miles. I replaced the lambda as the old one was flagging a slow response again, it did seem fine after the holey exhaust swap and at the MOT on emissions. Nevertheless it was due for replacement (100k) and it wasn't looking its best either, very likely a consequence to past oil consumption via the PCV valve which I have already replaced ;)

• Like 2

• Moderators

On a more serious note - i've had several new Lambda new sensors fail recently for no apparent reason. Check out the most recent few pages of

to see how they seemed to fail like dominoes falling over! No real rhyme or reason but i think i worked it out in the end and touch wood all seems well now.

A couple of them i'm sure were down to the Dodgy Postie playing football with them as the ones delivered by the Other Postie have all been ok - at least so far. The ones that have failed have all been delivered by the Dodgy Postie.

I wouldn't mind laying bets the Lambda you fitted to Emerald had the football treatment from the postie Stu, either that or it's the very last bit of oil clearing out of the PCV system although coolant can cause premature Lambda failure too.

No reason for coolant to be there on that one though. ;):D

• Like 2

• Moderators
2 minutes ago, hughezee said:

He maybe a local chap but I assure you nothing like that :blink: the other term top-shelf is of a high quality; excellent so ill take that one buddy ;):P

Regional variations on words Stu - round here it's "top drawer" but couldn't resist having a tease! :P;):lol::D

• Like 1

• Administrators

All engine related faults or bugs have been solved and transmission is on its second fluid change (also reset) and its behaving itself with no torque converter shudder at all now. :D Although I did pull the cooler and filter out for inspection ^_^ more on this another time, there's still an noticeable pull 1st-2nd from cold which will smooth out overtime and with another fluid change due in 200-300 should speed things up nicely :)

• Like 1

• Moderators

All sounds good Stu, the pull on the 1st/2nd change will definitely sort itself out with fresh fluid in time. My coupé used to have a nasty 1st/2nd change until i did the second part-change, now it's barely noticeable when it changes any gear, except on the rev counter! Oddly it's now smoother than the Sterling which was always a good benchmark as that is silky smooth, even in Sport mode with the loud pedal buried through the Axminster! ;):D

• Like 2

• Moderators

I feel your pain - had similar with mine recently with the LPG and the Lambdas if you remember? Sometimes it's a good thing though as it often exposes a more in-depth, previously hidden fault that can be rectified before it causes trouble - domino effect and all that malarkey! ;):D

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • Administrators

The last few jobs done, :unsure: well almost done as I can confirm the A.C condenser definitely needs replacing now :(:rolleyes:  Looking on the bright side the part ATF changes seem to be having a positive effect as predicted :);)

IMG_20161107_133605[1].jpg

Also on the subject of bright B) new LED's fitted, courtesy of the Honda 6 meet raffle ;)

IMG_20161107_133537[1].jpg

• Like 2