Subscriptions & Donations ×

new owner

gbn

16 minutes ago, Laird_Scooby said:

You're right George - the exhaust stocks are pretty much exhausted due to the rarity of the car. :( If you had been a bit further south i could have recommended somewhere that makes custom built stainless exhausts as i think that's going to be your best option now with no more exhausts available new. Unless of course someone else knows of a source of exhausts that are just sitting there waiting to be bought of course!

Mine both make that sort of growl - without blowing! ;):D Something to do with a decat box.............. :lol:

The cat muffles it too much!

There are a few places round here that make stainless, might be only option. Any idea of price of this? Don't mind spending a bit as car is my work tool!

• Like 1

• Moderators

Not sure on price. A friend of mine found Demand Engineering in Ipswich and had a stainless cat-back system made (except he doesn't have a cat, runs LPG) for his Rover 820i and all in was £380 and a superb job.

Given the systems are similar except for the rear section that has an extra box and slightly more pipework on the Accord V6 i would make a guess probably about another £100 - but that is only a guess!

• Founding Member

Hello George and welcome to the bestest Accord Coupe Forum on the wibbly wobbly interwebby thingymajig.  You're in the best place for all things Coupe as well all own them as well as some other Honda engined marques, Laird Scooby (Dave) has a lovely Sterling and a Jeep no less.  Have a good wander around the site, there's loads of information and tips about looking after our very rare USA made coupes, there are less than 300 V6's on the road!

We're a friendly bunch and there's always some banter going on somewhere.  You've tapped into a great range of experience, Stu is the resident Honda Guru and looks after a lot of coupes including mine, other members too have loads of experience and knowledge, ask away, no question is too silly as we've all been there.

We love pictures, so when you have a minute, post up some pics so we can all admire your coupe.  Beep beep and welcome again.  ;)

• Like 2

On 04/04/2016 at 11:34 PM, hughezee said:

Just keep well lubed and it will be a great motor, but as for a newbie slating a accord coupe over a Lexus maybe wouldn't be greeted so well on another forum ^_^ but compare it to a Honda Legend and think that's a farer argument :rolleyes:

Anyway like BN coupe (Andrew) pointed out the older ones are better built and that goes for most things these days unfortunately. Nevertheless I do like the LS400, but looks wise the old Honda's seem to be more timeless in my opinion ;)

Any questions don't hesitate to ask us and feel free to join in the banter, we are friendly really :D

Hey man I didn't slate accord in comparison to ls400, if anything I think the comparison was flattering! Any car that is reminiscent of an ls400 in any way is a bloody good car! 

Can't wait to get my v6 fettled and back up and running. Had to borrow daughters diesel beetle convertible today, which before anyone says anything, was my old car!

• Founding Member

Welcome George. I am sure you'll have many miles of enjoyment from your recent purchase. I own a V6 Coupe too, and frankly it's amazing! I also own a Triumph Acclaim which is amazing too! Any help you may need or questions that you want answering, we're all at hand :D

On 4/5/2016 at 9:17 PM, BN Coupe said:

George, exactly how much of the system do you need?  I can ask my mechanic (who makes exhaust systems) how much he would charge.  This would give you an idea.

Thanks man, exploring a few options just now, you guys have been so kind!

• Like 1

Had car at garage today and mechanic removed one of my back boxes, car looks strangely lop sided but is no noisier than when I bought it. Car needs battery and radiator which I plan on ordering tomorrow so at least I will have peace of mind! Hughezee gave me link for radiator and we are trying to get exhaust courier sorted out so big thanks all round!

The exhaust seems hugely complex with boxes everywhere and cat. I think I would be tempted by a decat stainless system with straight pipe in the middle once I have a feel for the cars potential longevity. Just wanted to say thanks to everyone for the warm welcome and advice offered. Once I get my car running right I will put some pics up. It's aggressive elegance makes me smile everytime and the malevolent rumble from my dodgy exhaust turns heads haha. This car needs to cover 500 mile weeks so I hope it works out! Gbn

• Like 1

• Founding Member

Good stuff, the more you drive it the more you appreciate it.  I currently only do 10 miles a day to work and back plus weekends but I'm off to Leicester soon (course) for a couple of days so I'm looking forward to the 200 mile round trip over two days.  It's good too to get them on the motorway and open them up a bit, it'll stay at 90 all day long and the acceleration 50-70MPH is quicker than a Porsche, allegedly.  ;)

• Like 2

I have covered about 400 miles in it since last Saturday! As for 90mph I am strictly a 55-60mph with cruise on long distance driver, doubt kickdown will get much use at all...probably good for box longevity if nothing else! 

• 2 weeks later...

Quick update. New battery was fitted but due to machinations of dvla, car still not on its original plates nor is it taxed so it's been unused. Radiator is next on list then I will get courier organised for stu"s kindly offered exhaust. Have had no time and was getting a bit down with my lack of progress but hopefully there is light at the end of the tunnel...and it's not a train! Have a great weekend all, Gbn

• Like 1