Subscriptions & Donations ×

new owner

gbn

Just saying hi. Been looking for a v6 accord coupe for years and bought one yesterday. Two owner car, 74K miles, fsh owned by typical Honda demographic 79 year old who had owned and cherished it for 13 years. Has very slight coolant leak which only manifests itself in certain situations, but am very impressed. Bought it for 150 mile commutes as a self employed trainer I like my comfort! Anyhow, hi, and will post again soon, Gbn

• Like 4

• Administrators

Welcome to the club George, perfect motor for cruising and comfort :D and if you keep it ship shape it will easily reward you with 400+ miles per tank, but the average 12 month service most members get up to 350 miles out of the tank.

Looking forward to see some pictures posted in the gallery when you get time ;)

• Like 2

Welcome George and congratulations on your new acquisition.  After months of dithering and faffing about I eventually took the plunge and bought a V6 (136,000 miles but maintained well) last summer and I really like it - to the point that I'm spending more time and money on it than I anticipated.  Despite its age and mileage it feels as if it's got a lot of life left in it.

And Charles is right - this is a very friendly and helpful forum.

• Like 2

Thanks guys. Loving the car, will have gearbox oil changed as suggested but it's silky changes just now! Don't mind spending money on it as it cost grand total of £800 and I intend keeping it. Might look for stainless exhaust at some point...or have one made. Not sure if mine is noisy, nothing to compare it to! Owned Lexus Ls400 previously..THE best built car ever, and whilst it is damning with faint praise, the Honda feels like a poor man's Lexus. Nowhere near the quality but what is?

• Like 1

• Administrators
On 04/04/2016 at 9:58 PM, gbn said:

My ls was most reliable car I owned! Hope Honda is similar!

Just keep well lubed and it will be a great motor, but as for a newbie slating a accord coupe over a Lexus maybe wouldn't be greeted so well on another forum ^_^ but compare it to a Honda Legend and think that's a farer argument :rolleyes:

Anyway like BN coupe (Andrew) pointed out the older ones are better built and that goes for most things these days unfortunately. Nevertheless I do like the LS400, but looks wise the old Honda's seem to be more timeless in my opinion ;)

Any questions don't hesitate to ask us and feel free to join in the banter, we are friendly really :D

• Like 1

'a rare accord doesn't come with a heap of expensive known faults the LS400 does' - Wash your mouth out!

'looks wise the old Hondas seem to be more timeless in my opinion' - Have to agree with you there.  And I don't think anyone bought an LS400 for its looks!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gbn said:

Car been pressed into action already, covered 150 miles yesterday at around 60 mph in total comfort...£20 unleaded when brimmed again so 33 mpg which I can live with. Love it!

Just don't tell Ahsy that!  3 weeks into ownership and I love mine.  

• Like 1

• Moderators

Welcome aboard George! Glad you like your Accord V6 coupé, not sure the comparison to a Lexus LS400 is fair - even if you compared a Legend to a Lexus. ;) Rumour had it many moons ago Toyota offered Jaguar the LS400 design for their (then to be new) XJ40 series and Jaguar didn't like it.

Having owned a couple of Jags (including an XJ40) and several Rover 827s (Honda Legends in disguise) i know which the better cars are out of that set of options. I've also known people who have owned Jags and LS400s side by side and they insisted the Jags were better. You can see where i'm going with this............. :D

Give it a bit of time and i wonder if you and also Andrew will revise your opinion of the Lexus. Yes it's a good car and better than a lot of offerings from many manufacturers but i really wonder if they will get the sort of following that the Honda-V6 powered cars have.

• Like 1

My back boxes are hanging off,  car had sat unused for an age and I guess the 450 miles it's covered since Saturday have blown them apart! Nothing to weld to! Will check rest of system Friday as am working away all week. Have to borrow daughters car!

• Moderators

You're right George - the exhaust stocks are pretty much exhausted due to the rarity of the car. :( If you had been a bit further south i could have recommended somewhere that makes custom built stainless exhausts as i think that's going to be your best option now with no more exhausts available new. Unless of course someone else knows of a source of exhausts that are just sitting there waiting to be bought of course!

9 minutes ago, BN Coupe said:

It actually makes the sort of growl some of you might like.

Mine both make that sort of growl - without blowing! ;):D Something to do with a decat box.............. :lol:

The cat muffles it too much!