Subscriptions & Donations ×

Newbie looking to buy my first accord v6

will79

Will can I just say that I bought my Coupe last week.

Previously I had a 406 Coupe 2.0 fully loaded.

Having had the Honda now for 5 days and 500 miles later I can say:

Loads more fun. My 406 could do 70-80 in 7 seconds. 70-80 in the Honda is just a tad under 2 seconds. Which is great when you are overtaking in traffic.

Handling, not great but ok not as good as the 406.

Comfortable as hell better than the 406 which is saying a lot because French cars are just the dogs for ride.

I will be lucky if I don't get some speeding points soon.

It sounds and feels 100 times better than the 406.

The Auto is just great.

MPG yes I am worse off. I am able to do 400 miles on a tank full at the moment (was getting almost 500 in the 406).

The guys on here are so helpful, Stuart is just great and I fully expect to get my general servicing done at his in the future.

Problems....apart from the less than perfect handling... mine is a bit rusty. But I really cant fault it. It is so nice to drive. It has made driving a pleasure again.

As for your car it does sound over priced.

I bought mine for 850. 65000 miles. Cambelt done in August, serviced every year at Honda Newcastle. Problems - Drivers door doesn't lock with the fob, brakes need attention. Cruise control didn't work but found that it has been disconnected for the cambelt change and not reconnected so that was a free fix. I sold my 406 for 400 quid.

I had to wait 3 weeks ish to find mine and it was over 200 miles away. But hey.

• Like 2

• Administrators

Glad you enjoying your coupe Richard, fare comment about the handling you will find the high front end suspension setup effects this, I played around with my coupe for a couple on months and lowered it (not to low though) and surprisingly it's more comfortable and handling comparison is like Night an Day as member Edwin would say ;) it still tackles pot holes and speed bumps with ease hence why I didn't want it to low. Also on sour note a 406 coupe hit my V6 once very minuscule damage to the USA built Honda where as the pug was a Wright Off :lol::lol::lol:

Also don't hesitate to stress your niggles in the relevant sections and we can assist you better m8y

Any more news on your potential purchase Will

• Like 1

• Moderators

Well done on your Accord coupé Richard! Couple of things you probably already know about your 406 but will hopefully make you feel more like you've made the right choice - not that you need convincing from the sound of things!

The styling of the 406 coupé was outsourced to Pininfarina and it shows - it's one of the best looking coupés on the market. I'm also fairly sure the handling was outsourced as well but firstly can't find any reference to that or remember who fixed the handling for them - think it may have been Lotus but not sure.

Pininfarina not only designed it but they built it as well, so the build quality should have been better than the average 406.

However, that's where the good bits end! It retained the standard 406 electrical system, i have extensive personal knowledge of that and it's a nightmare! The mecahincals were also bog-standard Peugeot, with the possible exception of the 3.0 V6 which was a development of the PRV "Douvrin" engine which was really a Volvo engine with contributions from Renault and Peugeot.

So all in all, you have a pretty standard car in a pretty skirt. Now compare it to the Accord coupé. Designed by Honda, built by Honda, Honda electrics and mechanicals. Much more of a thoroughbred with renowned Honda reliability and it's still in a pretty skirt!

Like Stu says, you can tweak the handling if you really want to. My guess is unless you "drive it like you stole it" all the time, within a week or  two you'll prefer the handling of the Accord, it's more progressive and predictable IMHO although i'm basing my comparison on a 5th gen Accord coupé 2.2 against a 3.0V6 Peugeot 406 coupé.

• Founding Member

Pugs always handled well and the 406 coupe is still a stunner after all this time, like quite a few pugs of that time, had a 406 2.0 petrol and I quite liked it but I was glad it was a company car and the repair bills were being paid by someone else!

• Founding Member

Glad you're enjoying your coupe Richard.  Thanks for looking for a cargo net at the scrappers, I would imagine it's one of the first things to go when breaking.  Yes, I can get a generic one but I'll wait and see if another proper Honda one pops up.

As Stu says (and as you seen on Sunday), all of us on here own the glorious Accord Coupe (2.0ES or V6), Steve has the lovely Legend and Dave (Laird_Scooby) has a few Honda engined Rover Sterlings, plus a Jeep!    As you know, Stu is the 'Coupe Guru' and Dave really is extremely knowledgable about most things car / engine related (as you can see above), he's a mine of information and a genuine asset to the forum.  Ritchie (Cryistic) is also a seasoned coupe owner and as you've probably spotted, we're always monitoring / on the look out for any coupes that hit the market.

What I'm trying to say is Richard is...as a new coupe owner...don't hesitate to ask anything about your coupe no matter how silly you think the question is and one of us will have the answer.  We've all been there, I remember ringing Stu once (when I had my previous 2.0ES coupe) asking how the hell you get access to the brake lights as a bulb had blown. :lol:.  I think I mentioned at the meet how to get access to the instrument bulbs and how to remove the centre console.

Good call asking Stu to service / maintain your coupe.  There's a reason why people travel from Bristol, Manchester and London to get their cars looked at by Stu, as I explained Sunday. 

My advice (after owning 6 Honda's and 2 coupes) is regular maintenance.  I change my oil every 3 or 4 months, irrespective of whether it needs it or not.  Change the oil regularly, might pay to change change the coolant, brake fluid, power steering fluid and ATF (refer to Stu as there are different fluids depending on the age etc) initially, at least you'll know they're all fresh.  You'll then have a very rare and fast car....pipe and slippers one minute, VTEC hyperdrive the next!

We're all here to help each other and keep the remaining coupes alive. ;)

• Founding Member

will79,

If you need any tips and advice I'm here in Norwich. I have owned many Hondas including a Civic Coupe 1.6Vti, more Civic's, Prelude's, Accord's, Hrv and my V6 Coupe. The best car by far.

Hello Sean, how the devil are you and more importantly (only joking), how's your coupe?  ;)

• Like 1

• Moderators

Hello Sean, how the devil are you and more importantly (only joking), how's your coupe?  ;)

Didn't see you slip your post in there Sean! How's you, your coupe, the Yamaha thing and your good lady? Hope you're all well, good to see you back on this hallowed portal!

And now, of course, you can aspire to a Legend, which is even better......    

;)

............or even a Rover 827 Sterling, which is like the Legend but rarer and sadly, cheaper! ;):D

• Like 1

Didn't see you slip your post in there Sean! How's you, your coupe, the Yamaha thing and your good lady? Hope you're all well, good to see you back on this hallowed portal!

............or even a Rover 827 Sterling, which is like the Legend but rarer and sadly, cheaper! ;):D

Hello Dave,

Car is good, may be on the look out for another coupe soon or something else Japanese. Yamaha thing was sold and Lorna is great, trying to persuade her to buy Japanese but she insists on buying French rubbish lol. Will be replacing brakes all round and replacing tie rod ends too. Still averaging 35mpg plus on all driving conditions after filling up with Shell Optimax unleaded now for the past six months.

• Like 1

• Moderators

Hello Dave,

Car is good, may be on the look out for another coupe soon or something else Japanese. Yamaha thing was sold and Lorna is great, trying to persuade her to buy Japanese but she insists on buying French rubbish lol. Will be replacing brakes all round and replacing tie rod ends too. Still averaging 35mpg plus on all driving conditions after filling up with Shell Optimax unleaded now for the past six months.

Good news all round Sean! Glad everything is good for you and Lorna, really need to talk her out of these French things though! :lol:

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hi guys, sorry, only just seen there was a second page of comments! I didn't go for the silver coup in the end as figured the price was alittle high and now I'm glad. There's a couple on auto trader for a grand+ cheaper! Emailed them bothwith px offers and just waitING to hear back.exciting times!

• Like 1

• Administrators

Hi guys, sorry, only just seen there was a second page of comments! I didn't go for the silver coup in the end as figured the price was alittle high and now I'm glad. There's a couple on auto trader for a grand+ cheaper! Emailed them bothwith px offers and just waitING to hear back.exciting times!

Great News m8y, keep us posted :D

• Founding Member

haha race you there mate!

No point will, if you want it I'll step aside. The dealer will only play us off each other.

I've been looking for a V6 in that colour for ages but he said it was silver and I've already got one of those! Saw the picttures this morning and I've been in contact with him about it.

Hope it's a good one for you.

• Like 1