Subscriptions & Donations ×

Windscreen Washer Not Working 1998 1999 2000 2001 CG Accord Coupe

hughezee

• Administrators

Final checks on Richards coupe only to discover the screen washers are dead :o no pump whine obviously ruled out the jets being blocked, so I checked the headlight washers they worked so it wasn't low on screen wash or the fuse as they share the same circuit so thought it must be the pump :angry: Yeah you guessed it another bumper off job and for those unfamiliar with this job check this post: http://honda6.ipbhost.com/index.php?/topic/32-accord-coupe-front-bumper-removal-how-to/

Anyway few pictures on swapping out the old pump, enjoy ;)

DSC04164.jpgDSC04165.jpgDSC04166.jpgDSC04168.jpgDSC04170.jpg

Testing the spare and it works :)

DSC04172.jpgDSC04173.jpgDSC04176.jpgDSC04178.jpgDSC04180.jpgDSC04184.jpgDSC04185.jpgDSC04186.jpg

Quick Tip: Always remove the seal from the pump and insert it into the washer bottle first and then push the pump back into position otherwise it's likely to leak ;)

• Like 1

• The topic was unpinned
  • 1 year later...
  • Moderators

Just finished work, rolled into home, having been trying to wash the windscreen and only getting intermittent spray of water.

Tried it again as it was ticking over and nothing...headlights washers working. Got to be the motor. Hunted down the spare from the s2k,  went out to Coupe,  tried it again .bloody working !!!   Tried several times and seems to be ok...

just wondering now if the cold weather last night and night before, below freezing, has frozen pipes up...anyone else had intermittent problems recently??

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
  • Administrators
On 1/14/2022 at 4:57 PM, PTR200S said:

just wondering now if the cold weather last night and night before, below freezing, has frozen pipes up...anyone else had intermittent problems recently??

I just use good quality concentrated screen wash all year round (not diluted) never had a single issue even on the coldest days, famous last words🤐.

• Like 1

• Moderators
8 hours ago, hughezee said:

I just use good quality concentrated screen wash all year round (not diluted) never had a single issue even on the coldest days, famous last words🤐.

I am using concentrate, best quality Halfords 🤣🤣🤣 , I never put pure water in but maybe I have been a bit stingy ( Mrs says "tight" !! ) with my mix...although the red Berry smell permeates the cabin when the washers have been used!!!.....certainly been working fine for last few weeks with no freezing weather issues.

• Like 1

• Founding Member

My sprayer motor also went weak a while back - I found the problem to be the connector contacts getting corrosion on them.  Contact cleaner and battery terminal protector sorted them out and it has been on full power since.

• Like 3

• Moderators
2 hours ago, PaulS said:

My sprayer motor also went weak a while back - I found the problem to be the connector contacts getting corrosion on them.  Contact cleaner and battery terminal protector sorted them out and it has been on full power since.

It wasn't weak as such, just seemed to have stopped working altogether....seems to get resolved now, for the time being 🙃🙃

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderators

well. it died completely today....well just about, the occasional puff of water now and again.   Checked the reservoir, half full, when I got home and tried it whilst standing next to the car, not even a chirp from the pump let alone the whine of a happy pump 🤪

Just looked for something suitable, came up with this. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/254384738806?

Shows compatible with Accord 3 litre Coupe........Anyone used this manufacturer unit?

or this ? still compatible apparently, https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/332336256406?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderators
On 2/9/2022 at 9:00 AM, PaulS said:

You were right Paul,  looks like the contacts were the problem !!!

Got a spare washer motor now 🙃🙃

• Like 1

• Moderators
2 hours ago, Kelvin said:

So is this a bumper off job?

Yep, easy job though, you might want a few clips for replacement... there are only four bolts on it, 8mm and 10mm, two of each and about ten push fit clips. 

Whole thing slides off easily and will rest on the deck, on a sheet or something, no pipes to disconnect, even the headlight washers pipes can stay on.

Took me about ten minutes to get off due to difficult clips and 1 bolt being seized.

You might be lucky and find the contacts are the problem as Paul and I have found.. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Site Subscriber’s
47 minutes ago, PTR200S said:

Yep, easy job though, you might want a few clips for replacement... there are only four bolts on it, 8mm and 10mm, two of each and about ten push fit clips. 

Whole thing slides off easily and will rest on the deck, on a sheet or something, no pipes to disconnect, even the headlight washers pipes can stay on.

Took me about ten minutes to get off due to difficult clips and 1 bolt being seized.

You might be lucky and find the contacts are the problem as Paul and I have found.. 

Cheers fella.

To be honest, fitted the rebuilt alternator yesterday, drove to work and stuff fine. Just went out this afternoon, the car starts playing up, gearbox horrendous, abs light on, so I head home.

Battery reads 9v. I think I'm done with her now. It's been one little nigggle after another for the last 18 months and a lot of money. I think I'll offer her to Stuart like I did originally.

The time has come.

• Sad 3

• Moderators

That alternator doesn't seem to be doing its job , the battery at 9 volts, no charge going in there unless battery had it too.

I would say it was running on battery alone when you were out, all those lights/problems are almost certainly down to the low battery voltage.

• Like 1
  • Clap Hands 1

• Site Subscriber’s
51 minutes ago, PTR200S said:

That alternator doesn't seem to be doing its job , the battery at 9 volts, no charge going in there unless battery had it too.

I would say it was running on battery alone when you were out, all those lights/problems are almost certainly down to the low battery voltage.

Exactly that - battery had recovered to 11.97v when I went out, would turn over but not start. I've got the battery on charge currently. I'll take the alternator out on Tuesday, it was working fine yesterday and it can go back.

As for Lovey, my time is over. 

• Sad 2