Subscriptions & Donations ×

Hi all - Just found the site and joined!

PaulS

• Founding Member

Live in Manchester and have a W reg Accord Coupe 3.0 ES auto with 111k miles - owned for 2 years and I love it for everything but economy! Oh and the aircon pipe is leaky .....

Is anyone else around Manchester?

Cheers

Paul

• Like 1

• Founding Member

Hi all,

Thanks for the welcome.  I guess the MPG is around 18 urban and around 30 on a run - so pretty standard according to the figures I have seen.  But improvement suggestions are welcome.....

I am on 205 55 16 tyres - does anyone use anything bigger (happy to stay on 16s, but thinking taller tyres = better mpg but will take advice...

Has anyone changed the aircon cooler pipe in front of the radiator?  If so, how does one get at it?

The car is dark metallic blue with cream leather interior - dont know how to post pics - can anyone help?

Cheers

Paul

• Administrators

Hi m8y, feel free to ask your questions in the relevant sections and we would happily help out and in regards to posting pic's you can email them to me hughezee@live.co.uk or use the attachment feature available in certain sections ;)  check out this post http://honda6.ipbhost.com/index.php?/topic/155-attaching-pictures-to-your-posts/

• Moderators

Without wishing to clutter the welcome section with Q&A, the tyre size won't make a big difference to your economy because firstly bigger tyres will put your speedo out and secondly to make any real difference you'd have to go so much bigger that you would lose your acceleration so you would drive it harder to get the same acceleration.

If you have a good look through the various sections you'll find even unexpected things like your ATF fluid can have a big effect on your economy.

Meanwhile looking forward to seeing some pics of your beast! ;):D

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • Moderators

Hi Edwin,

the exact science of getting the right ATF is a hugely complicated subject but Stu has done a lot of research into it thankfully. Before the untimely demise of Honda Z1 ATF the answer was simple, use Z1 and change it regularly.

Now Z1 is no longer available and its replacement (DW1) has been proven to NOT be backwards compatible with many, if not all transmissions requiring Z1 (despite Hondas initial claims) the need for a good alternative arises.

The fluid i prefer is Carlube ATF-U which is Z1 compatible. There was another - Triple QX ATF-Plus, only available from Euro Car Parts to my knowledge but for some odd reason it is no longer Z1 compatible. I believe Stu has found another, a Comma product i think that he's had good results with but there is a huge question mark over whether it will work in the box i have in mine as it is closely related to Dexron II which has been proven to be the kiss of death for the type of box in my cars.

To explain why the ATF makes a difference to the economy, you need to know that the auto boxes are designed to have a certain amount of slip. The right ATFs have the right friction modifiers in the right quantity to make the box perform correctly. Obviously as fluid gets older and tired, these friction modifiers wear out causing harsh changes and reducing the torque multiplication effect of the torque converter. This makes the engine struggle at times when it really shouldn't so changing the fluid regularly is a definite benefit.

Given that most of us don't know the exact history of our cars, i tend to change the fluid when i get a new car by doing 3 part changes and then 1 part change every 12000 miles. On the other hand, i believe Stu does the 3 part changes when he first gets a car then 2 part changes at 24000 miles. Neither method is particularly right or wrong and adds up to the same end result. In short, keeping the fluid clean, regularly changed with a quality ATF will prolong the life of the box and keep the performance (both in terms of economy and how the car performs) of the box in as near perfect as you can get but like everything in life, it's all a huge compromise.

• Like 3