Subscriptions & Donations ×

1998 1999 2000 2001 2002 Honda Accord Horn Not Working

• Moderators

NO Scooby ,its a bit weird, one  minute its working then its not...not the relay as Stu sent me a new one, not the fuse checked it, squirted it with wd40,got me stumped.when its a bit drier, im gonna take off the bumper then check them on the battery to see if its not a break in the wire its the horns itself .just a process of elimination....

Hmmm, not so sure it is weird Edwin.

Had exactly this problem with my SLi recently just after getting it. Easily traced to the horn relay - replaced and horns now work. Thankfully didn't have to take the bumper off!

Also if you're itching to squirt some WD40 around Edwin, you could try squirting the horns themselves. Quite often they corrode so they don't work very well and then not at all although dampness seems to effect them when they are like this. Spraying the WD into them loosens everything up so they can start working again. With a bit more use they become almost self-cleaning and should progressively get better if this is the problem.

See the bit where i said dampness effects this? This is what i was referring to, basically they come and go in operation but i'm guessing once you got them working you then haven't used the horn since until you needed to? Very often this gives them a chance to seize up again, sometimes terminally so (going on the evidence so far) i'd say fit a new set of horns and you should be ok.

It could of course be a broken wire somewhere, usual place is where the wire joins the terminal that connects to the horn but it would be very unusual for all 4 wires to break. As such, my guess is the horns themselves.

In fact i had this problem on a Citroen Saxo recently. Strangely enough the recommended replacement horns were the same as fitted to the Rover 800 which i just happened to have some spares floating around. Daresay the Honda uses the same horns as well considering the amount of shared parts.

Good luck with it and keep us posted!

• Like 1

• Moderators

This does indeed sound as if the damp has got to them and as they dry out they work again or sometimes the opposite is true, they work when they are damp and fail when dry, depends on the horn really.

Don't forget they are in a vulnerable place down there behind the bumper, once upon a time the horn was mounted further up in front of the radiator where it was more protected from the elements, road salt, mud etc etc. Might pay to relocate the horns further up if at all possible.

I'm thinking of getting some air horns for my beasts and will be mounting them higher up if i do and may even relocate the OE horns near the new ones. These are the air horns i'm thinking of :

http://www.amazon.co.uk/MONSTER-TWIN-HORN-BOAT-RELAY/dp/B00OQGV29C/ref=sr_1_7?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1428098708&sr=1-7&keywords=12v+air+horns

That'll wake the neighbours up!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderators

Excellent news Stu - let's hope they new horns sort it once and for all! So tricky doing "remote diagnostics" as something silly like a squib ring fault can easily be missed. On the good side, the new horns will still be an improvement even if there is another (as yet) undiagnosed fault.

• Like 1

Hi guys

Well Sunday I took off the old ones which were oily and rusty.fitted the new ones I ordered by way of Scooby recommendation from E-Bay for a fiver.you get 2 x snail shaped horns ,one high and one low in pitch.when you beep there blend together in sound.these come with power and and earth spade connections. Original horn only has power as it takes its earth from the horn bolted to the car body ( thanks to Stu for the heads up) .I ran 2 x earth leads to the earth on my car battery for each horn and cut off the original connections and replaced with space connections.bolted the horns to the same place as the old ones using the same bolt. Did forget to say the bumper has to come off first lol? Well that helps a lot guys ! Test the horn 1st before you put the bumper on and bobs sure uncle new horn to terrorise the neighborhood.

post-59-0-70943900-1428966273.jpg

post-59-0-89698600-1428966297.jpg

• Like 2

• Moderators

So are they all working as they should now Edwin?

Good point about testing before "boxing it all back up" - it's something we all learn one way or another and is often missed when writing a method to help someone out. So obvious when you think about it but Sods Law is if you don't test before boxing it up, you'll have a silly problem, if you do then chances are you won't. At least if you do have a problem after putting everything back you know it's something in that stage that has caused it! ;):D

• 3 weeks later...
  • The title was changed to 1998 1999 2000 2001 2002 Honda Accord Horn Not Working
  • The topic was pinned