Subscriptions & Donations ×

1998 1999 2000 2001 2002 Honda Accord Horn Not Working

HI guys

well Stu...i'll start as i mean to go on...well over the past couple of days especally  in the morning when i press the horn it won't work at all, but later in the day i press it and hey presto it works? Stu is there a "How To "  for ggetting the sterring wheel horn cover off to check the contacts? any help please would be welcome

cheers Edwin

• Administrators

Hi buddy, there's no how to on removing it, simply because of the dangers of the air bag, nevertheless I will happily illustrate the process when I get five. However me personally I would be suspicious of the relay or the horn(s) itself or its connection in the engine bay area which is very exposed and a the warmer engine may dry corroded joint enough for it to work, just a thought ;)

DSC04076.jpg

post-1-0-22457900-1425655599_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

• Founding Member

Hello there, I used to have this issue on my previous CG2 which progressively got worse. On looking in to it I narrowed it down to the Cable reel assembly behind the airbag which controls the srs, horn and cruise control. When turning the steering wheel the horn would work at certain points in the turning circle. I bought a second hand assembly and it took 20-30mins to replace which included resetting the srs light.

Coincidently it looks like the horn in my current CG2 is also deteriorating so I bought another cable reel but have yet to instal it.

Just as a suggestion maybe try your cruise at the time when your horn doesn't work and see what happens.

Good luck

• Like 1

Hi guys thanks again and Stu, i completey forgot about the air bag lol!!! bloody hell would have set if off without knowing. Its working this morning,so thats very strange indeed...well that becomes of being a DEl Sol owner for some time,you don't get those mod cons you see lol !! Edwin

P.s. Stu would you have a speare relay for sale ,as that sound plausable about the relay joint drying out, same as the old petrol pump relay does the same yeah? 

• Administrators

The original should be a Omron relay, but I have a Bosch 0332 017315 which is the equivalent, PM me you address and will post it out Monday, with compliments ;)

DSC04088_zpshle7wgny.jpg

DSC04089_zps7ahhf7wu.jpg

I'm not trying to patronise anybody with the pic's ^_^ they are just for a reference guide :P

post-1-0-70150300-1425655441_thumb.jpg

whoops ! the penny drops, doesn't look like a alarm horn lol!! would some WD40 with the connections help the problem?, appreciate  ALL help Hughezee,I really do ,I can't really ask you to do this for free  Hughezee,so please let me know what you want please. Am I thinking to get to the horn, do I have to take the whole bumper off to get to the horn connections?

Cheers again

Edwin

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderators

Had exactly this problem with my SLi recently just after getting it. Easily traced to the horn relay - replaced and horns now work. Thankfully didn't have to take the bumper off!

Also if you're itching to squirt some WD40 around Edwin, you could try squirting the horns themselves. Quite often they corrode so they don't work very well and then not at all although dampness seems to effect them when they are like this. Spraying the WD into them loosens everything up so they can start working again. With a bit more use they become almost self-cleaning and should progressively get better if this is the problem.

• Like 1

Mr Scooby

well your right sir, took the plunge after speaking with Stu, took bumper off and did as you said and squirted WD40 in the plugs and bent the horns away from the radiator as it does get hot down there., Stu did send me a new relay and I fitted it and no change it still didn't work, so took the bumper off and squirted the WD40 and now it does work 24/7.

Thanks guys

• Like 2

• Moderators

Glad you got it sorted Edwin - between us Stu and i had covered the two most common causes of horns not working and sometimes you can get lucky and squirt the horns with WD just by jacking the car up and crawling underneath.

At leasst if they play up again you'll know what to look at! ;):D

• Like 1

HI Guys

I spoke too soon....This morning goinbg to work and a situation came up when driving and tried wacking the horn and ......NOTHING !!! so its come back with a vengence...now i've changed the relay, squirted WD40 on the horn contact and around the horn,took bumper off and checked the horn themselves. Any help/clues guys,cos i'm out of answers???

Cheers Edwin

• Moderators

First guess is the horn itself has given up the ghost :

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-12V-NEW-LOUD-AIR-HORN-SET-DUAL-TONE-CAR-BIKE-VAN-BOAT-SIREN-TWIN-LORRY-HORNS-/351318561050?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item51cc37d11a

Second guess is a problem with the horn push and/or the fuse but as it's so easy to check or replace the fuse, try that first.

• Like 1

HI Scooby

Thansk for the heads up, just spoke to STU and i'll be gettin the bumper off (AGAIN!!) and take the horns off and plugg direct to the battery to test, then as you said ,check the fuse (cheap n chearful for sure!!) box. Thoses horns are funky Scooby? so to wire those up i'll have to strip the existing wires and put "spades" on them yes? These would be copmpatible wit the car yes? what do these sound like scooby?

Thanks again

• Moderators

Hi Edwin

they're standard replacement horns in a slightly different form - many Italian cars have them as OE kit so should give you an idea what they sound like - not much different usually.

As for the installation, you've got it! ;):D

NO Scooby ,its a bit weird, one  minute its working then its not...not the relay as Stu sent me a new one, not the fuse checked it, squirted it with wd40,got me stumped.when its a bit drier, im gonna take off the bumper then check them on the battery to see if its not a break in the wire its the horns itself .just a process of elimination....

• Like 1