Subscriptions & Donations ×

Oil & Filter Change 1998 1999 2000 2001 Accord 1.8 2.0 2.3

hughezee

• Administrators
Basic guide on how to change your Engine Oil an Oil filter on your 1.8/2.0/2.3L Accord.

ACCORDBBB_zpsbb703ab4.jpg

This is an essential maintenance procedure for any car and this what you need, suitable carjack e.g 1500kg load, Axle stand or the car jack located in the spare wheel tool kit for extra support? Tarpaulin sheet, container to drain the oil into, funnel, standard 17mm wrench or spanner, filter extractor, latex or rubber gloves.

DSC05322_zps4355eaa3.jpg

Please note: some Honda's require 14mm or 19mm socket/ spanner for sump bolt removal and will require a different sump washer?

DSC05328_zps33371581.jpg

Now with engine still warm loosen the filler cap and then jack up the car and safely secure with an axle stand? 

DSC05321_zpsd0d3348c.jpg

Then proceed to loosen sump bolt anticlockwise, this could be tricky as 90% of the time its over tightened, so use a rubber mallet with caution.

DSC05318_zps5c2da0aa.jpg

Whilst the oil is draining clean the sump bolt and replace the crush washer with the flat side facing out as shown. 

DSC05319_zpsf3c467a3.jpg

DSC05320_zps5b639e18.jpg

Now refit the sump bolt and don't over tighten just feel for a flat spot when it gets tight, torque settings still apply but repeated oil changes or over tightening will vary it from car to car?

DSC05323_zps26b6ef09.jpg

Anyway once your happy with it proceed to remove the filter a little oil will seep out, so reposition your bowl accordingly. 

DSC05313_zps22443772.jpg

Now place a little oil around seal on the new filter and install' by hand until tight, double check with the oil wrench if necessary?

DSC05324_zpsb89a4fe5.jpg

Right now proceed to refill the engine with your chosen oil, I would comfortably fill most petrol engines with 3 to 4 litres of oil and check it registers up to or on the maximum mark the on the dipstick no (4.5L) and then secure the filler cap.

DSC05326_zps227043bd.jpg

Now Start the engine and note that the oil pressure light extinguishes, all good now let the engine run for a few minutes and check for any leaks. So once you're happy stop the engine and let the oil settle for 10-15 minutes, then check the level on the dipstick and top up if necessary. 

Any Questions Just ask  ;)

• 3 weeks later...
  • Founding Member

*****Stupid Question Alert*****

So to loosen the sump bolt do I turn towards the drivers side or the passenger side?

I only ask as Stu "muscles of steel" Hughezee did the sump plug up and I buggerd if I can get it to shift and as I'm not 100% sure I don't want to get the rubber mallet on it until I'm sure :D

• 8 months later...
  • Founding Member
On 5/31/2015 at 3:39 PM, hughezee said:

I cannot emphasize enough to people ^_^ replace your sump washer, this one was reused so many times it was almost paper thin with a crack and leaking :angry:

Doesn't make sense to me, why put a nice new filter on, pour expensive oil into your engine and then skimp on a 10p washer??  :huh:

• Like 1

• 10 months later...
On 01/06/2015 at 8:21 PM, GeoffPurpleHaze said:

Doesn't make sense to me, why put a nice new filter on, pour expensive oil into your engine and then skimp on a 10p washer??  :huh:

Is 10p the price at a Honda dealer?  After years without replacing mine, I decided to fit a new one a couple of oil changes ago.  I prearranged the collection, but I turned up late and the parts counter had closed.  Luckily, they left the washer at reception who said I could have it for free! ?

One of the reasons I decided to change the washer was that the sump was showing slight evidence of oil seepage which I thought to be coming from the sump bolt. However, replacing the washer doesn't seem to have improved it. It's not a bad leak - there's no drips on the drive and it does not require wiping. The oil probably helps with corrosion protection on the sump!

• 3 months later...
  • Founding Member

I did my first oil change on Saturday and it went swimmingly well (except a text to Stu for a little advice). 

One thing I was VERY surprised at was as to how dark/dirty the oil was considering I had completed just over 3k miles since Stu had changed the oil in Feb. I have attached a pic....please tell me if this is normal. I feel that I will do another change in a couple of months just to get it flushed through.

• Like 2

• Administrators

Kudos Ahsy mate and the lea perrins sauce is completely normal, as I bet it didn't look too bad on the dipstick ;) if in doubt check the internal cleanness via the oil filler cap and if all is shiny B) well looking clean, no sludge or particles your fine for another 3k plus :)

• Founding Member

Good morning, I feel relieved after your explanation. All clean and shiny under the oil cap. 

I just need to work on the fuel consumption. I'll update that post later when I get a chance 

thanks Stu

• Like 1

• The title was changed to Oil & Filter Change 1998 1999 2000 2001 Accord 1.8 2.0 2.3