Subscriptions & Donations ×

Check engine light.

LeedsMatt

• Moderators
2 hours ago, LeedsMatt said:

Hi guys. The check engine light came on as I was driving home yesterday. How worried should I be? Should I book it in a garage to have a look at?

You could try discon the battery, leave a few minutes, touch the positive and negative cables together briefly then reconnect the battery. It may clear the fault if its just a glitch in the system. 

If not then you need to get the codes off the system for the fault, either with plug in test unit or the blinking light method..need the info for that plus the codes to identify against the number of flashes .

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Moderators

Something else worth checking is the battery condition, especially since we've just exited the New Ice Age. If a battery is low and taking an abnormally large amount of charge, while it won't put the charge warning light on there might not be enough spare to cover the EFi system and also voltage variations can cause glitches in the system. Try Petes method above, if that seems to work for a while, repeat it but leave the batery cables disconnected and do an overnight trickle charge, preferably from a dumb charger. Then touch the battery cables together (before reconnecting to the battery) for about 30 seconds and see how things go from there.

If it still throws up the EML, read the codes and go from there.

• Like 1

• Site Subscriber’s

Bit of an update, I went and checked all the fluids etc and all were fine. But now the light has not come back on again. I've done about 30 miles and not had it come back on. 

Do you think the sub zero temps could have caused it to come on?

• Like 1