Subscriptions & Donations ×

The First Accord

PTR200S

Coincidentally found this article in The Telegraph this morning. Good to know the UK acknowledges the first gen Accord as one of its rare cars, thought it would be boring compared to today's standards and forgotten into the history books. An interesting read also. 

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/cars/classic/uk-rarest-cars-1979-honda-accord-s1/

• Like 1
  • Clap Hands 1

• Moderators
7 minutes ago, PaulS said:

We had a blue 3 door auto...., my wife's first car. It rotted away....

Mine actually stayed together,  1977 version , sold it on about eight years old in excellent condition...its predecessor,  a 1976 Civic 1500 GL died  in an accident with its subsequent owner but was a complete rust bucket in the front wings / chassis.... Two cars, just a year apart in build date.

• Like 1

• Moderators

That must have been the last of the mk1 versions, 1982 brought the mk2 out..

Looks weird in the four door version, wonder how many were made for the UK Market compared with the 3 door version...

Nearly bought a mk2 3 door after my mk1 but went to the darkside and got a Volvo 360GLT...

• Like 1

• Moderators
On 11/25/2023 at 6:14 PM, PTR200S said:

a 1976 Civic 1500 GL died  in an accident with its subsequent owner but was a complete rust bucket in the front wings / chassis.... Two cars, just a year apart in build date.

The Japanese ethos back then didn't include rustproofing as they didn't know about it - hence the "Jap-Crap" reputation for rotting out in the 70s and 80s. Now they do it better than anyone on the planet in general.

On 11/28/2023 at 6:47 PM, PTR200S said:

went to the darkside and got a Volvo 360GLT...

Oddball Dutch design sharing driveline architecture with certain Porshe models - Volvos "secret weapon" as it wasn't a pantechnicon only slightly nippier than an HGV, the 360GLT actually went like stink! Despite copying the Porsche layout of front engine/rear transaxle, the 360 could be very tail happy..........

• Moderators
3 minutes ago, PTR200S said:

Oh yes !!!!!  Ask me how I know ???

Same as me i expect, personal expereience! Had one as a company car which inspired me to get my own years later. It was my own that i discovered it could swap ends easily with. Probably a lot to do with the Mk2 Escrot leaf springs on the back end............

• Like 1