Subscriptions & Donations ×

A couple of queries

BN Coupe

Greetings all.  Your advice/input please.

(1) What's the current recommendation for ATF?  I usually buy from Opie Oils, and may get some engine oil at the same time.

(2) The rubber roof strip on the driver's side of my Coupe no longer meets the windscreen, and water is getting into the driver's door pillar.  Any idea where I can get a replacement strip?  Or, if not. what I can use to plug the gap of about 1 centimetre?  Something like Blak-Tak would be good but it needs to be weatherproof.

Thanks guys.

• Founding Member

Regarding sealant, I have used black silicone recently which seems as good as anything else I tried previously.  Gutter & roof seal works fine too - but does not fully set.   The goo from Denso tape also works well but is brownish and needs painting....  I never found any windscreen sealants to be effective, however there must be some that work!

• Like 1

• Moderators

ATF recommends,  check here.

Paul is right, silicone good, like Mapesil,  the better quality stuff.

Something that sticks like sh1t to a blanket is called CT1....clear, white or black !!

It works in wet weather too, is fairly flexible and can be moulded reasonably easily....they use it to seal things like cracked fishtanks !!!!!...when they already have water in 😄😄😄  if you have a local builder nearby ask him if he has any in the back of the van as you only need a bit...

Of course they may be somebody on here with a suitable replacement strip.........🤐🤐🤐🤐🤐🤐🤐🤐

• Founding Member

I'd never use Silicone on a car.

you probably want to reseal with a PU sealer similar as to what has been brushed/applied from factory.

I had success using Tiger seal on a similar problem on a Lexus RX.

https://u-pol.com/product/adhesives-sealants-plastic-repairs/adhesives-sealants/tiger-seal-polyurethane-sealant-and-adhesive/

• Like 1

• Moderators
6 hours ago, Cryistic said:

I'd never use Silicone on a car.

you probably want to reseal with a PU sealer similar as to what has been brushed/applied from factory.

I had success using Tiger seal on a similar problem on a Lexus RX.

https://u-pol.com/product/adhesives-sealants-plastic-repairs/adhesives-sealants/tiger-seal-polyurethane-sealant-and-adhesive/

Why not silicone ?? Just asking for a friend 😜😜😜😜, CT1 is more of an adhesive sealant rather than Mapesil and the like which are true silicones.

Good point on Tiger seal , I have used it to fill in gaps on door rubbers,  easily mouldable , works well,  another good choice. 👍👍👍👍

• Moderators
8 hours ago, Cryistic said:

Silicone can ruin your paint and it just doesn't work very well in outside situations, the OEM go for PU seam sealers and Tiger seal is cheap and easily available.

The internal bathroom/ kitchen silicone is no good definitely agreed but the external stuff like Dow Corning 791 low modulus silicone is excellent for external apps..not sure how well it would cope on a car though !!  And , yes, paint problem,  I hadn't considered that. 

Tiger seal is compatible in cost to the good external silicones so the one to go for....never been able to keep it long though, once opened..used cling film, tubes with tops etc...

Thanks all.  I shall buy some of the German ATF.  My body repairer who recently did work on the car has some sealant coming in next week and will plug the gap where the roof strip seems to have shrunk - it no longer meets the seal around the windscreen.  I'll be interested to see what he uses.