Subscriptions & Donations ×

Flat out !!

PTR200S

I saw a video not long ago where they drained the oil out of x3 cars then ran them to see how long an engine lasted without oil. There was a focus, civic and another car I can't recall. The Ford and other car died within 2mins. The Honda was still running after 10 mins. So much so they had to jump in and drive it round for another 5mins before anything broke.

• Clap Hands 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Andy Mc said:

I saw a video not long ago where they drained the oil out of x3 cars then ran them to see how long an engine lasted without oil. There was a focus, civic and another car I can't recall. The Ford and other car died within 2mins. The Honda was still running after 10 mins. So much so they had to jump in and drive it round for another 5mins before anything broke.

😂😂👍. I think you are on about the carwow challenge, the other 2 were the Ford Focus and Peugeot 206. After the civic stopped, they still managed to get it going by putting in coke and Mentos mints until the engine gave up. Sad way for a neglected civic to go, but testament to simple honda reliability. It was also painful to watch him kick the bodywork as he thought he could improve its styling 😪. I would drive them anyday, especially the civic aerodecks or the VTI models 👍👌.

• grrrr 1

• Moderators
10 minutes ago, PTR200S said:

its was struggling to get beyond 180 !!!!!

Seemed to reach and maintain 190 (~118mph) most of the time fairly easily, only dropped to 180 (112mph) on the uphill stretches? Nudged 192 at one point as well but in fairness, that was slightly downhill.

Not bad for a 38 year old, 115bhp car - the TC lock-up seemed to be working too so not really any different to being in a manual except maybe the ratio might be a smidge different.

• Like 1

• Moderators
2 hours ago, Laird_Scooby said:

Seemed to reach and maintain 190 (~118mph) most of the time fairly easily, only dropped to 180 (112mph) on the uphill stretches? Nudged 192 at one point as well but in fairness, that was slightly downhill.

Not bad for a 38 year old, 115bhp car - the TC lock-up seemed to be working too so not really any different to being in a manual except maybe the ratio might be a smidge different.

It didn’t exactly rabbit up to that top end...once it hit 5k revs it was just about all over 🤣🤣🤣🤣

As you say , very good for the old bus , at 38 , 😛

• Moderators
39 minutes ago, PTR200S said:

It didn’t exactly rabbit up to that top end...

You've been spoiled by more modern machinery Pete! :P

Back in 1985, that was pretty decent performance for a 2.0L, if memory serves the 2.0 Sierra topped about 106 and the 2.0 Cavalier about 115 so the HOnda is still doing well - all of the cars of that era ran out of breath about 5krpm unless they had a cam change. They would still keep pulling, just not as strongly.

From about 86-87 onwards when multivalve engines became more popular, things changed a lot as the power band was shifted up and they seemed to come on the cam about 4-5krpm and pull really strongly. Made up for the extra wind resistance. Most 8v cars of the time produced peak power about 5krpm as well, this is now higher with 16v engines.

• Haha 1