Subscriptions & Donations ×

Accord V6 Screech & Bang

PaulS

• Administrators
2 hours ago, PaulS said:

Not yet looked again at the electrics however although nothing else seems to work, the horn does (found that out accidentally!).  How come???

Great to hear you are making progress Paul, in regards to the electrics double check the earth connections are connected two are located on the front left, the main one near the VIN plate and another on the transmission case.

• Like 3

• Founding Member

Further progress in the last couple of days:  I have now looped back the power steering pipes & refilled (to min level!) - no leaks, auto transmission lines are looped back - strangely the ATF level  - despite loosing fluid - now looks fuller than before.  However there is air in the pipes that needs to be worked out when I eventually start it.  I have now also mounted my spare Mitsubishi rad & fan and connected that up - no water as yet as I still have not started the car.

But I did find the cause of no electrics  earlier this evening - I have blown the 100Amp fusable link so will find another tomorrow.  Somehow I forgot to disconnect the battery before starting pulling wires to disconnect stuff....dumbo!  Still some way to go, but assuming I can start up the car tomorrow, I should soon be able to determine whether the original fault is still there (and what it is) or whether it has disappeared as miraculously as it appeared ...

• Like 2

• Founding Member

New fuse gingerly fitted, but no problems.  Car starts and runs, no further leaks from anywhere that I can see or hear.  No noises (once replacement power steering fluid got through the pump).

The gearbox seems to work fine - goes into all gears forward & back with all normal function (observed by the jacked up front hubs spinning only as expected) but no noises, rattles etc - in fact it sounds as smooth as normal pre-accident..  Not enough ATF now it has been through the gears and my replacement supply has not yet arrived.

So, it is now parked up awaiting more AFT-U to arrive before I try further gearbox use.  I reckon that I will give it at least 50 re-starts and 150 gearbox movements but assuming it is all OK, I will do the welding next week and if that is OK, a trip to Honda HQ for bits beckons....

Looking good...... but still a long way to go with everything crossed......

• Like 1
  • Clap Hands 1

• Founding Member

AFT arrived & I filled up just past minimum to test.  All gears used up & down lots of times.  Drive & reverse seem to work fine with no issues.  Park & neutral also seem to work fine and changes between all are fine.

Structure straight enough now and ready to weld - broken washing machine (which I had to fix before car work according to she who must be obeyed...) got in the way of welding this week.....

Time to have a word with Stu about the rebuild bits needed....and arange collection....

• Like 2
  • Clap Hands 1

• Founding Member

Still more stuff to double check yet. Problem is I only know what is broken from what I have left. If anything is missing from now or earlier times, I might never have seen it. Sometimes ignorance is bliss, but not always....I now have a CD with schematics though so I will plod through the relevant sections of that too.

• Like 2

• Administrators
25 minutes ago, PaulS said:

If anything is missing from now or earlier times, I might never have seen it.

if there's anything you might have missed I will likely have it, so you can take whatever you need or might need. 👍

• Like 2

• Founding Member

Following my trip to Honda6 HQ on Monday, I now have the bits I need.  Today, with the help of some hefty chains and a heavy duty ratchet  puller,  I managed to get the last half centimeter of the chassis straight and fitted the front crash bar again.   Hopefully, I can sort out mounting the rads over the next couple of days, but have to fit that around some other pre-planned activities.....  And as the bottom rad bolt fixings are no longer available in the right places, I will have to create some suitable solution....

• Like 3

• Administrators
5 hours ago, PaulS said:

Hopefully, I can sort out mounting the rads over the next couple of days, but have to fit that around some other pre-planned activities..... 

Fingers crossed all goes well Paul 🤞🤞🤞

• Like 1

• Moderators

Well done , Paul,  for perseverance,  all credit to you for pressing on where others, including me, would fear to tread. 

👏👏👏

plus the support from Stu, what a great community to be part of. 😃😃😃😃

• Like 1
  • Clap Hands 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • Founding Member

A disappointing time recently as although the bumper now fits well and hides the messy front crossmember, I cannot fit the replacement radiator as it appears I had not pulled the front crossmember forward quite enough. Also my pulling has slightly squashed the the RH side slot width where the radiator should sit.  The slot is currently too narrow to slide in the radiator and consequently it sits too high to close the bonnet.... believe me I have tried and tried to make it fit, but failed so far.  I will have to have a go with oxy acetylene to soften up the metal and attack it with a big hammer...... But that will need more gear.... more time & favours....

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

• Moderators

Keep at it,  Paul, you are still moving forward with just a few bumps slowing progress...bit like the potholes in the roads.  Probably won't help you but for what it's worth I am having similar problems with Ellys suspension and bushes...just when you think you are there.....keep persevering you will get there 👍👍👍👍

• Clap Hands 1

• Moderators

Pete just put into words the encouragement iwas trying to think of to give you Paul - jobs on cars are never plain sailing! For example, i'm trying to renew the tyres on my CR-V and my trolley jack gave up the ghost with the front not quite in the air and not quite on the ground. :o

Managed to jerry rig the jack to lift the rest to change the wheel but now it's useless until a part arrives - also bought a new trolley jack as it's already 10 years old and other things are going to wear out too.

Perseverance is the big thing, even when it seems as if you've hit rock bottom, the only from there is up so it can't be all bad! :P

• Like 1

• Founding Member

Thanks guys....  Thinking if I cannot move the offending part, I can cut it where it catches and fabricate a new bracket.  It is not far out, but sufficient to stop the rads fitting.  I will have another go later this week...

• Like 1
  • Clap Hands 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • Founding Member

Progress slow as we have had the in-laws here for 2 weeks, however I have almost got the radiator to fit properly.  It is around 5mm too high, but the bonnet shuts cleanly on it.  Not yet tried the air con rad, but no reason why it should not go in, albeit with a bit more tin bashing...   Later this week I hope.  Then trying to remember where evrything should go back as lots has happened in the last 3 months... Still not sure as to the original cause though...

• Like 2
  • Clap Hands 2

• 3 months later...
  • Founding Member

Some good progress to report at last:

Radiator & aircon rad now fitted, brackets made, welding finally done.  Primer coat on repaired body bits...

Now comes trying to remember where everything else goes back and how to get it there, get some specific Honda clips which seem to have disappeared, - and to apply some rustproofing, seam sealer, and get some more B89P blue paint....

• Like 1
  • Clap Hands 1

• Moderators

Ecellent progress there!

Which clips are you after? There is a good range on both ebay and Amazon of vehicle specific clips/fasteners etc much cheaper than genuine. Granted some are slightly lower quality but given how cheap they are, i'd call that a fair trade off.

• Like 1

• Founding Member
8 hours ago, Laird_Scooby said:

Which clips are you after?

Specifically push in cable clips - the ones that push in but have an inbuilt cable tie.  Yes, I have found them on eBay - ~£20 for 30... still seems a lot...  Would prefer push in version with just a slot where one can use own releaseable cable ties though.

• Confused 1

• Moderators

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/392596552231

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/224330424371

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/265910277438

A few options there, last one uses releasable cable ties and is a pack of 100 for £4.99, a bit better than £20 for 30 items! :o

Try searching "push-fit cable tie mounts" on ebay and set your filters to "Lowest price inc P&P" or however ebay word that option. ;) :D